PDA

View Full Version : Source code question

John Adams
09-22-2006, 05:12 AM
I will eventually figure out how to get the source code from the CVS, but until then I had been relying on getting code from the (kindly efforts of) DRP site - but they seem to have stopped at 840.

So, my not so newbie question is, how can I convert the source file available on this sites downloads area to a usable vcproject to use with Visual Studio? If this is not as simple as "do this thing" then nevermind, I do not want to waste devs time. But if it's easy, or there is a tool I can use to do it, please advise so I am not working with the 840 code anymore (although I think I have a greater understanding of things now - might even start making me own bugs-i mean, fixes. :))

Thanks in advance.
J

Aramid
09-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Hey John,

I just downloaded the source from here and it compiled with VS2005 Pro with just the usual warnings... I didn't change a thing (heh, now I got to re-compile cuz I left debug off. :(

John Adams
09-23-2006, 06:13 AM
No kidding? It looks like one huge file to me. I thought it had to be broken down into little .h and .cpp files? See, that's what I get for "assuming". I saw that large file and didn't even bother trying. I am using VS2005 Enterprise. I guess I'll try it later and see if it just works.

doh...

Aramid
09-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Well, yes. It's all compressed into one file. Use WinRar to decompress it and there's your source code....

John Adams
09-24-2006, 06:50 AM
Oh my dear god in heaven... I am such a noob. Here's what I was doing. Opening the .tar file with WinRAR, and seeing one 6.7mb file. Then thinking it was a text doc, I'd open it with Notepad or whatever to see what it was, and it looked all notepaddy. And I stopped there (no extension, us Windows people just freeze up and don't know what to do).

Forcing the non-extension "EQEmu-0.7.0-854-source" file to open with WinRAR, I see everything I need.

You are my hero. Thank you for your patience. :)