PDA

View Full Version : profiling support in the Source

eq4me
11-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Seeing an file named gmon.out after I stopped the EQEmu server on my Linux box and remembering what that file is for I had a look in the Unix/Linux makefiles I discovered that profiling support( -pg) it turned on in zone/ and eqlaunch/. I suggest that all people that run Linux/Unix servers get rid of this and recompile asap. Enabling profiling support induces a huge performance penalty!

for zone/makefile

COPTS=$(WFLAGS) -O -g -pg -march=i686 -pthread -pipe -D_GNU_SOURCE -DINVERSEXY -DFX -DZONE $(DFLAGS) $(MYSQL_FLAGS) `$(PERL_FLAGS)`

to
COPTS=$(WFLAGS) -O -g -march=i686 -pthread -pipe -D_GNU_SOURCE -DINVERSEXY -DFX -DZONE $(DFLAGS) $(MYSQL_FLAGS) `$(PERL_FLAGS)`

eqlaunch/makefile is similar.

FNW: I would suggest to get rid of this option in all the unix/linux makefiles by default. Imho also the -g option isnt exactly neccessary for the average server but it doesnt induce a performance penalty.

I noticed also that EMuShareMem/ and /common/SocketLib/ are missing the -march=i686 flag but are compiled with -O2. And finally: Is there a reason some of the other stuff is compiled with 'only' -O?

fathernitwit
11-24-2006, 05:33 AM
in short, the makefiles are optimized for the developers, not people trying to run optimal servers...

however I will make a makefile.x86opt for a more optimized build.

eq4me
11-29-2006, 03:17 AM
in short, the makefiles are optimized for the developers, not people trying to run optimal servers...

Let me ask you a question: Who do you think is more capable in compiling or modifying the Source? The average Linux User who just wants to run a server or an Developer who has enough knowledge in C++ and experience with the gprof tools?
I bet an years pay that the average Developer has no trouble modifying the makefiles to his needs but the average User will have a hard time figuring out what is needed and what just for development. Especially when there is virutally no consistent documentation.

To be totally frank I sometimes dont know if I should congratulate you for your continous efforts or strangle you because of your rather strange attitudes regarding some topics.

Well, I wish you good luck with your project. I am off.