PDA

View Full Version : Where to begin?

Jonathan5
07-21-2007, 02:27 PM
I hope this is the right place for this, but I'm interested in development so I think it's okay. Anyways I'd like to know where someone should begin if they're interested in working on such a thing like EQemu. PS: I've read the wiki, but I'm looking for some answers of like what knowledge you should have before you think your going to work on something like this, computer languages for example. Lurking I feel I've noticed MySQL and maybe C#/C++ are the key conponets, but I'm a noob and most likely wrong. So just let me know, cause I'd like to start learning. Thanks.

sfisque
07-22-2007, 03:28 AM
depends what areas you want to help out:

server code: C/C++; little understanding of shared memory and network i/o can be useful too.

quests: C++ (for server bindings) and PERL (for the quest instance coding)

tools: there are a host of tools already written in C/C++ and VB. tools could also be coded in java/j++ (i have a few private tools written in java) since in most cases all you need is a connection to the database.

== sfisque

Jonathan5
07-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Wow, seems like tons of programing! Someone told me that you didn't need any programing knowledge at all, but I think thats because I was asking how to run a server. So let me alter my question a little, to run a server what is necessary? MySQL, and other DB programs? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, lol.

techguy84
07-22-2007, 02:10 PM
To run a server, all you really need is the ability to read the wiki or the guide I wrote out. Addition knowledge helps out as you can troubleshoot errors better. To run a advanced over the top server, programming, Mysql and perl come in handy. You can add and modify some code in the server to allow certain things. The DB contains most of the world information so if you want custom content, knowledge of SQL will help out there. Quest work many on perl so perl knowledge is a must for custom quest, or to fix quest that are already there.

GeorgeS
08-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Actually a new spell editor would be a start - what I was thinking of was a very simplified version of current spell editors. I'm starting this soon, but really need to prove that my method will work first before coding begins.

GeorgeS