PDA

View Full Version : make depend?

sfisque
08-07-2007, 08:48 AM
it would probably be a good idea to add a "depend" target to the top level makefile. i would add it myself, but i'm pretty much a nub WRT makefile crafting.

when unpacked my server into its new home after an OS upgrade from slackware 10.2 --> 11.0, i had lots of broken dependencies. i had to manually run make depend in the subdirs, which wasnt terrible, but for someone less versed in using makefile style build systems, having a top level target would alleviate that need.

== sfisque

John Adams
08-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Are the differences in Linux OS's really that great? I can take the new source, throw it on FC4, and aside from eqcollector and (that other tool) needing to be commented out, it compiles straight up.

sfisque
08-07-2007, 05:00 PM
the issue wasnt platform type. the issue was i tar'ed up the dir, formatted, installed new OS, and untar'ed the directory.

basically, the .depend files had stale references and there was no way from the top level to say "make depend". instead, i had to cd into the individual dir's and do make depend separately. then the dependencies were fixed and it compiled well (except for the warnings).

basically it would be good if the top Makefile had a "depend" target to do that.

== sfisque