PDA

View Full Version : world connecting to two loginservers at once

Aergad
04-13-2009, 02:58 PM
This idea is mainly for the people who utilize images private login server the idea being to have the worldserver connected to the main loginserver the server op runs and a backup with identical databases so that no matter what all users can still login and have access to all their toons and such on their login account.

Im not sure if i can accomplish this task on my own its a little bit beyond me from what ive looked at its doable but im just not sure how yet so if anyone has any ideas please feel free to hit me up

drakelord
04-13-2009, 03:21 PM
If you reallllly wanted to do this, you could try to change the code around so that it flags a client based on what login server the individual comes from, and then loads from the database on that character. It'd require a new field in the database, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

You might also want to start a new thread in world to do the packet exchange between the second login server and world.

Aergad
04-13-2009, 03:28 PM
no need this is for people who want to run two loginservers one as a backup for redunancy no need to add anything to world as both loginservers can and should be kept identical in real time its very easy to do i have two up that are running on identical databases there sno need to flag the account the idea is so that they dont need any of that its a backup redundancy system not so players can login from multiple loginservers

Aergad
04-13-2009, 03:29 PM
eg this istn so you can have your own ls and still use the main ls this si so you can have two login servers of your own one as a backup incase your main one goes down

drakelord
04-13-2009, 03:39 PM
In that case, why not just start two login servers, and set the code so that if the connection to the first one dies, connect to the second one?

caylah023
05-20-2009, 07:57 AM
not to thread rez but this kinda made me wonder is it possible using the new login that comes packed with angelox's repack to connect to both th regular login and the other public login at the same time?

from what ive read it seems possible in theory but just want to know if it is and if so...maybe some specifics on how to make it happen. seems that servers could benefit from being able to have both connections available at once.

Yeormom
05-20-2009, 04:59 PM
It is actually very easy to do, not even requiring you to alter your database if you do not want to. I evaluated a system similar to this in January where I tested my concept with the old minilogin. It did work but there will always be a problem: lack of central authority and impersonation. If I did it again, I would probably use the private login that Image released but even then, the broken link is still the lack of my authority on the eqemulator.net login database.

There are already ways to impersonate an account number so by now having possibility of duplicates in the future, you open your entire player base to the risk of a management nightmare. Let's pretend you pick a account id range that you think will never be duplicated. What if the talks of SoD merging into the eqemulator.net database occur and they end up on your identity range? All for what? An extra hour of uptime?

I would highly recommend you pick one or the other. The public login server is doing much better now that it is not under attack quite as often.

caylah023
05-25-2009, 07:33 PM
well i had hoped that it would be simpler then that really :) was mainly thinking that if as time goes by the two logins develop a substantial amount of players being able to have the world seen by both would allow for more exposure......didnt know wiz was thinking of remerging with eqemu again....kinda interesting that he would suddenly decide to come back after so many years gone.