PDA

View Full Version : A question about customizing things server side.

bigsol81
06-30-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm considering creating what will be a very small population roleplay-oriented server with a lot of different rules, and I want to know which of these is possible to change via modifications to either server-side code or just database changes.

Changing the damage calculations for weapons so that the damage inflicted by a weapon is a range between the weapon's damage and double its damage (So a 6 DMG weapon does 6-12 base damage) rather than the typical EQ damage system.
Giving certain races or classes bonuses to damage from spells or melee, or granting innate damage mitigation to races and classes.
Modifying the base movement speed of a certain race.
Increasing the number of hit points a player has in their "unconscious" pool so that they have to go lower (say, -100) before actually being killed.
Are containers equippable in inventory slots without causing bugs?
How hard would it be to implement a hunger system where you actually take damage if you don't eat regularly? On that note, is it possible (not that I plan to) to prevent players from automatically eating food or change the rate at which they eat?
Does changing values such as hit points, AC, or other bonuses cause discrepencies on the client that will cause issues?
Is it possible to alter the base resistances of players?
Can you create additional class/race combination that will appear during server select, or will this have to be done in-game (and probably require a reconnect)?
Can you add skills for classes serverside? Such as giving Warriors round kick or allowing Bards to have double attack?

I understand these are a lot of questions, and as I said I'm not entirely sure this is the right forum to ask, but if any of the devs or coders can answer them I'd appreciate it very much!

KLS
07-11-2011, 10:19 PM
-Changing the damage calculations for weapons so that the damage inflicted by a weapon is a range between the weapon's damage and double its damage (So a 6 DMG weapon does 6-12 base damage) rather than the typical EQ damage system.

Easy

-Giving certain races or classes bonuses to damage from spells or melee, or granting innate damage mitigation to races and classes.

More involved but still easy.

-Modifying the base movement speed of a certain race.
This can be done as well.

-Increasing the number of hit points a player has in their "unconscious" pool so that they have to go lower (say, -100) before actually being killed.

This I think can be done fairly easily.

-Are containers equippable in inventory slots without causing bugs?
Nope!

-How hard would it be to implement a hunger system where you actually take damage if you don't eat regularly? On that note, is it possible (not that I plan to) to prevent players from automatically eating food or change the rate at which they eat?

Not that hard and yes you can keep them from automatically eating though why you'd want to is beyond me.

-Does changing values such as hit points, AC, or other bonuses cause discrepencies on the client that will cause issues?

Sometimes it depends what you consider issues are. HP/mana/end can get out of sync significantly which is very annoying to actually play with. The rest aren't as noticeable.

-Is it possible to alter the base resistances of players?

Technically yes as I found it in the player profile some time back but there's no official support for it.

-Can you create additional class/race combination that will appear during server select, or will this have to be done in-game (and probably require a reconnect)?

If you use the newer clients then I think the answer is yes but I've yet to try it.

-Can you add skills for classes serverside? Such as giving Warriors round kick or allowing Bards to have double attack?

Passive skills yes... active use ones are harder.