Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 07-05-2005, 02:20 PM
mseals
Fire Beetle

Default Stupid Question concerning WR problem

Ok this may be a really stupid question but if sony is serving a cease on WR what is different from them and the other emu sites? I mean after all if it is illegal to have one eq server wouldn't it be the same senario with another ? And I am sure sony comes to this forum maybe they could answer?? anyway just would like to know
Old 07-05-2005, 03:54 PM
lordnoob
Sarnak

Angry

It isn't illegal, it's just that WR doesn't have the time or money to go to court over the CnD. I personally think it is bullshit that SoE has a problem with me playing MY client, the one I PAID for on a server that is 100 times better then theirs....

[Um...Edited by Cisyouc...]

Last edited by Cisyouc; 07-06-2005 at 12:47 PM..
Old 07-10-2005, 01:15 AM
mseals
Fire Beetle

Maybe but you don't technically OWN the client I mean after all Just because you purchase something doesn't mean you own it. If that was the case as soon as I purchased my windows xp I could run around and install it on everyones computer. Thus warez sites would be legal cause you would OWn the programs.
Thus the proper arguement was the program you purchased rights to use on any server you wish to use it on. Therefore back to my origional question if it is illegal to run one server with the everquest engine why wouldn't it be illegal to run another.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:03 AM
mrea
Discordant

The one place where WR was able to be legally pursued was over their patcher which distributed Sony files. That would have caught WR in the end if they took it to court (which would be a stupid move). I think this Dawntide project is much better than WR. Of course it is a sad thing to happen to the Emulator, but to have our own client is much better.

Old 07-10-2005, 10:14 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

Since I've seen so many people say "our own client" I think I should clear something up lest there be confusion and ultimately disappointment.

I have never seen anywhere in DT's plans a mention of making the DT client open source nor making it operable with anything but DawnTide.

So what separates it from the current crop of corporate-produced games? For one, this one is touted to be either free or low-cost. Most importantly, it will be made by people who I think want to get back to making a good, enjoyable RPG and put fun first and foremost, and not worry about what will get those sales figures up the highest in the shortest amount of time. If they pull it off successfully, they can show the whole MMORPG community that it IS still possible to make an enjoyable popular RPG without needing the backing of a bunch of corporate suits who wouldn't know roleplaying if it bit them on the ass.

However, unless I'm terribly missing something out of all the news they've given, emu serverops need not hold their breath waiting for the client to be released. I'm certain they feel that too much work will be put into that client (really -- you try making a 3D game engine) to let others just benefit from it for nothing.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.

Last edited by RangerDown; 07-10-2005 at 06:19 PM..
Old 07-10-2005, 10:56 AM
mrea
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDown
I have never seen anywhere in DT's plans a mention of making the DT client open source nor making it operable with anything but DawnTide.
When I said "our own client" I was referring to OpenEQ. Although I'm looking forward to DawnTide, I understand that they would want to keep it closed. I also understand that the EQEmulator staff would want to receive some sort of appreciation for all of the work and I know that if I had the capability, I would most definitely donate. I think that with the building of this client, the donations will rise at least somewhat.

Yes I understand this means little coming from just a fanboy, but I do appreciate their work and if I had any knowledge of coding/design I would help out. ( Believe me, I'm trying to learn ) Also, this client wouldn't necessarily need to be open source, as long as it would be freely distributed, I think people would be happy, although the name would probably need a change :-P

Old 07-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseals
Maybe but you don't technically OWN the client I mean after all Just because you purchase something doesn't mean you own it. If that was the case as soon as I purchased my windows xp I could run around and install it on everyones computer. Thus warez sites would be legal cause you would OWn the programs.
Thus the proper arguement was the program you purchased rights to use on any server you wish to use it on. Therefore back to my origional question if it is illegal to run one server with the everquest engine why wouldn't it be illegal to run another.
Erm. No. You do OWN the client, under a single-user license, without the permissions to redistribute it.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:00 AM
Cailin
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisyouc
Erm. No. You do OWN the client, under a single-user license, without the permissions to redistribute it.
No, you do not "own" the client. "Owning" constitutes that you own the copyright to the client, which you certainly do not. The copyright owner (SOE) grants you the revokable license to use the client based on the EULA presented at installation. If you "owned" your copy, then you would be permitted to copy and resell that same client as you would have full copyright over the materials contained therein.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:18 AM
Ghost Fire
Sarnak

Ohhh here is a neat Idea. Stop posting about this crap and someone go make some quests or something.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailin
No, you do not "own" the client. "Owning" constitutes that you own the copyright to the client, which you certainly do not. The copyright owner (SOE) grants you the revokable license to use the client based on the EULA presented at installation. If you "owned" your copy, then you would be permitted to copy and resell that same client as you would have full copyright over the materials contained therein.
Suppose I buy a magazine in a store. I now own that magazine. The magazine company nor can the store take it from me now unless I willingly let them have it or sell it. I do not, however, have permission to redistribute the articles freely to the world.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Aydun
Sarnak

Default Yea

Rock on ghostfire.. totally agree..
Old 07-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Megahertz
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisyouc
Suppose I buy a magazine in a store. I now own that magazine. The magazine company nor can the store take it from me now unless I willingly let them have it or sell it. I do not, however, have permission to redistribute the articles freely to the world.
I would say that you own the paper the magazine is printed on, but that you do not own the content thats printed on it. Much in the same way when you buy a game, you own the physical CD but do not own the software thats on it.

Just my opinion. I'm no laywer.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahertz
I would say that you own the paper the magazine is printed on, but that you do not own the content thats printed on it. Much in the same way when you buy a game, you own the physical CD but do not own the software thats on it.

Just my opinion. I'm no laywer.
That's basically how it works, yes, and is pretty much completely fair.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Aonelyn
Hill Giant

yea.. it is fair..but messed up