Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Rhodan
Hill Giant

Default Is EQEmu dead?

No new binaries for months. Has the project fallen apart?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:42 PM
LeftRoad
Sarnak

Are you referring to the download area being stuck at 1129?

http://www.eqemulator.net/download.php

There's probably a post somewhere but I'm too tired to go looking. Try here...

http://code.google.com/p/projecteqemu/
Old 12-29-2008, 09:28 PM
trevius
Developer

Ya lol, it is more alive then ever :P For a while there, we were having multiple updates every day. Now, we are still having multiple every week. I imagine it will pick back up after the holidays some too
Old 12-30-2008, 08:42 AM
So_1337
Dragon

There have been a lot of site issues between EQEmu's connectivity being spotty (and thus the login server as well) and with PEQ's entire site and server going down because of issues at the place their server is hosted.

While the EQEmu site issues have been here all along, the PEQ ones are temporary. I imagine progress will ramp back up as soon as those are resolved.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodan View Post
No new binaries for months. Has the project fallen apart?
There has been alot of life in the development of the project lately actually...enough to take me hours to play catch up every week or so to integrate the changes into my code.

As far as the eqemulator server problems, I can't comment on those but lets just say development on the login server's cypto has begun on a couple side projects.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:35 AM
KLS
Administrator

I'm basically the only one who's around that can update the official binaries and it's really not fun. Last time I tried it wasn't even up.

Basically I'm lazy and hope that people just can find the threads in dev to find the repo where we post binaries every so often. It's quite a bit more active when I don't have to put everyone's junk in personally -.-

I've also thought about the login server, perhaps making a minilogin with basic user authentication /shrug. I'm not really up for figuring out the crypto on my own but the basic netcode is pretty simple and I've had a few ideas about how to do user authentication without it. It was bad last week cause the server really needed to be restarted for a few days after it was deep into it's memory reserves seems pretty good now.

Last edited by KLS; 12-31-2008 at 02:39 PM..
Old 12-31-2008, 09:24 AM
Richardo
Banned

Yeah we're all still around. Suffering holidays!
Old 12-31-2008, 02:48 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Hey if I do a binary update (running 233 right now) do I need to worry about the updates overwriting anything I've changed thus far?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:11 PM
renoofturks1
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
I've also thought about the login server, perhaps making a minilogin with basic user authentication /shrug. I'm not really up for figuring out the crypto on my own but the basic netcode is pretty simple and I've had a few ideas about how to do user authentication without it. It was bad last week cause the server really needed to be restarted for a few days after it was deep into it's memory reserves seems pretty good now.
And if the crypto was already figured out?
Old 12-31-2008, 05:48 PM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
Hey if I do a binary update (running 233 right now) do I need to worry about the updates overwriting anything I've changed thus far?
None of the updates you do for the server code should cause any problems with changes you have made to the database. The only thing that can is if you update the database as well. It is always good to keep regular database backups just in case though and I do one before each time I update my server.

As for the alternate login server setup, I was thinking about it a bit. It could probably use it's own thread just for discussing it, since it isn't really the main subject of this thread. But, my ideas so far would be to setup a way to have both the normal login server, and also a backup mini-login type login server that is used only when the main LS is down. My idea is to create a command that allows players to set a password for their account manually on the server they play on. Basically, they would enter a password from in game and it would encrypt it with MD5 and save it to the accounts table. Then, when the login server was down, after not being able to reach it for a minute or 2, the server would then connect to it's own mini login server if it was setup and running. Players could probably edit their eqhost.txt and set both the normal login server and their main play server's mini login in there too. So, if it can't reach the normal LS, it would try to connect to the mini login for that server. If the password had been set while they were using the normal LS, it would verify that the person who set it should be the right person to use that account. It wouldn't allow new accounts to connect, or accounts that hadn't set their password yet, but I think that would still be better than no one being able to login at all while it was down. Then, the server keeps trying to connect to the normal Login Server while it is running the mini login and if it is able to connect and stay connected for a couple of minute, it would switch itself back to using the normal LS instead of the mini login.

I haven't really messed with the mini login stuff much, but I imagine something like this would work and be as secure as possible. The only way to do it better would be if we had a way to keep a mirror login server somewhere and have it sync it's database with the normal LS pretty often.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:11 PM
renoofturks1
Sarnak

A mirrored login would be best I'd think. Keeping the accounts DB sync'd wouldn't be that bad.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:35 PM
KLS
Administrator

Quote:
We'd be able to throw something together then. I've looked it it briefly and all I've seen is it appears to work in 4 byte chunks but haven't really gone further than that.

Problem with current LS is the person who wrote it didn't want it released, so really despite the security concerns it's not really up to the admins. Mirroring would probably be best but considering the circumstances I'm not sure how viable either option is.

Last edited by KLS; 01-01-2009 at 07:38 AM..
Old 01-01-2009, 01:22 AM
MNWatchdog
Hill Giant

The login server really is the rotting hub of Emu and something should be done before it snaps.

Ideally, the login server should be completely removed from the formula and login is handled by each Emu server.

Probably some sort of client side launcher and account creation app.

It could still hookup to a central server but just to get a list of known Emu servers it would DL locally and allow server to be added manually too.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:19 AM
Yeormom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoofturks1 View Post
As KLS mentioned, it's already been cracked and is what is being used on the login server today...but only two people have access to that source.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:24 AM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWatchdog View Post
The login server really is the rotting hub of Emu and something should be done before it snaps.

Ideally, the login server should be completely removed from the formula and login is handled by each Emu server.

Probably some sort of client side launcher and account creation app.

It could still hookup to a central server but just to get a list of known Emu servers it would DL locally and allow server to be added manually too.
personally, I'd rather not DL / install more things on my side, as a player