Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:14 AM
antioch
Fire Beetle

Default Roleplay Orientated Server

This is something I've had on my mind for the past few years and I was just wondering if anyone else thought it might be a success in the EQEmu scene. The brief of the server would be;
  • Roleplay actively encouraged & rewarded
  • Quest-based level progression (no grinding)
  • Dynamic cities with groupable quest lines that alter the game world
  • Frequent in-character GM events in the style of a DM leading players through a particularly long quest line

Game mechanics would be similar to current PEQ revision but content, (spawns/items/quests) would be 100% custom. As I say the emphasis would be on exploration and quest completion, character skills would probably be maintained as part of quest rewards to compensate for the lack of grind. The game world would be limited to one continent to foster familiarity with the progression structure and then be opened up to other areas for the players to explore.

Anyway if anyone thinks this could find a niche or thinks it would fail horribly I'd appreciate if you'd let me know your thoughts.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:59 AM
tandcemerson
Sarnak

I could see it going either way. It is a lot of work to run a server and even that much more for one as dynamic as you desire. However, that doesn't mean it is impossible. The problem would be in keeping the game material fresh enough to retain a population.

Sounds like a server that would require a lot of setup way before so that all the basic progression would be intact so that you could focus on the events.

Jerant the Loremaster - Cleric
Hans Poisondirk - Rogue
< Evolution >