Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:22 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Default Pet Taunt

I noticed tonight I have quite a time grabbing aggro from my pet on my Magician. Then I noticed my pet's are not taunting. The pet taunt button does have the pet say "Taunting foes master" but since I do not see the pet taunts on the prompt I do not think the pet is. I tried the same thing on my necro and noticed they do not taunt. Is something wrong with my compile or is it a long time bug ?
Old 01-15-2011, 02:01 AM
joligario
Developer

I think I remember reading somewhere that the pet taunt is permanently on in the server side code.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:55 AM
provocating
Demi-God

I would think that you would see a random reply from the pet saying it is taunting then.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:33 AM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

If I am reading the code correctly then pets default to taunting on, but it can be turned off.

There's no message for each taunt, but there is a message when you turn taunt on or off.

Try using #hatelist to see what's up. Keep in mind if the pet roots then the mob will attack the closest target, not the top of the hate list.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:34 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Oh cool, did not know about #hatelist.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:36 AM
bad_captain
Developer

I play as a Magician on my private server. My pets taunt consistently, and I do receive messages that they are taunting. I would check your chat filters unless there's something with your code that has broken taunt.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:37 AM
provocating
Demi-God

What client are you running ?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:59 AM
provocating
Demi-God

I tried with TIT, UF and SoF clients and none of them are reporting pet taunts. I do get a response if I click the pet taunt button "Now taunting foes" but you should get a taunt whenever the pet uses his taunt. I also checked filters, absolutely nothing is filtered on any of my clients. I am running a rather new build.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Chanus
Hill Giant

I had a problem with my bots and pets not being able to hold aggro, and I found a field in the database called something like Aggro:SmartAggroList that you can toggle. The options seem to end up being either they don't hold aggro seemingly at all or they don't hold aggro properly because you can stand right next to the mob and it will still prefer the pet or bot over you.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:51 PM
bad_captain
Developer

Okay, I completely must have made that up. I swear I was receiving messages from my pet that it was taunting, but apparently not. I must have been thinking about my bots (I was looking at the bot taunt code yesterday). I looked back on some logs last night as well as from Feb last year and didn't see any pet taunting messages. lerxst2112 is correct that there's no message, as the code that does the taunt is here, and no message is made within Taunt();

Code:
//general stuff, for all classes....
	//only gets used when their primary ability get used too
	if (taunting && HasOwner() && target->IsNPC() && target->GetBodyType() != BT_Undead && taunt_time) {
		Taunt(target->CastToNPC(), false);
	}
They taunt by default:
Code:
Pet::Pet(NPCType *type_data, Mob *owner, PetType type, int16 spell_id)
: NPC(type_data, 0, owner->GetX()+2, owner->GetY()+2, owner->GetZ(), owner->GetHeading(), FlyMode3)
{
	GiveNPCTypeData(type_data);
	typeofpet = type;
	SetOwnerID(owner->GetID());
	SetPetSpellID(spell_id);
	taunting = true;
}
Bot code I was thinking of, I think..
Code:
                Say("Taunting %s", target->GetCleanName());
		Taunt(target->CastToNPC(), true);
I'm not sure what I have for the SmartAggro rule, but I haven't really had any problems with the pet keeping aggro, unless I nuke too early. If I wait until the mob is <90-95% before I nuke, then I don't have any issues. Or, if I get aggro, I can usually walk away and the pet grabs aggro from me (although sometimes I do have to run around screaming like a little girl when that doesn't work).
Old 01-15-2011, 06:04 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Well hell it would not be that hard for me to add a line or two to send a message to the client, or am I wrong here ?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:39 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Change the special_attacks.cpp to this, and boom, I have pet taunt reporting back. Can someone push this change to the SVN and check it first ? I need someone with 40 more points of IQ than me to do it.

Code:
        //general stuff, for all classes....
	//only gets used when their primary ability get used too
	if (taunting && HasOwner() && target->IsNPC() && target->GetBodyType() != BT_Undead && taunt_time) {
                Say("Taunting %s", target->GetCleanName());
		Taunt(target->CastToNPC(), false);
	}
Old 01-15-2011, 09:43 PM
joligario
Developer

Isn't it "Taunting attacker, master."? I only remember the target on /pet attack.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:08 PM
provocating
Demi-God

I have no idea.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:50 PM
bad_captain
Developer

I spent some time trying to find it earlier, but couldn't find it. From eqstr_us..

438 Taunting attacker, Master.

But I'm not sure is that's just what is done when /pet taunt on or not..