Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Support > Archive::Tutorials/Howto's

Archive::Tutorials/Howto's Archive area for Tutorials/Howto's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 04-02-2003, 08:29 AM
devlor
Sarnak

Default Setting up local EQEMu Server v0.4.4-DR1

OK, this info. is pretty well covered in the EQEmu documentation, but since some people find certain writing styles easier to digest than others, I'll paste in below the step-by-step instructions I wrote up for myself & others for setting up a local server to host on a single computer. Bear in mind many of the steps included below reflect my own personal tastes (i.e. directory paths, database names, choice of database), since that is what I've found to give me the best results after much trial & error. So here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlor
  1. Install EverQuest & all expansions to the C:\Games\EverQuest\ directory.
  2. Update EverQuest to latest version & run through the file check twice to be sure everything's there.
  3. Copy the entire C:\Games\EverQuest directory to the to the C:\Games\EQEmu\EQGame\ directory (creating directory structure as needed).
  4. Delete all .EXE files except eqgame.exe in the C:\Games\EQEmu\EQGame\ directory.
  5. Download MySQL v3.23.56 from http://www.mysql.com & install to the C:\MySQL\ directory. Reboot your computer after installation of MySQL is complete.
  6. Download EQEmu Binary 0.4.4-DR1+Telmet from http://www.darkangel.net/eqemunews/ & install to the C:\Games\EQEmu\ directory.
  7. Download my original backup database from the attachment posted below (eqbackup00.zip) & install to the C:\MySQL\bin directory (overwrite = yes).

(This database was built using Drawde's updated DB addon (worlddata1.1.beta5). For a brief explanation, or if you wish to download these files & build the database yourself, refer to his post here: http://forums.eqemu.net/viewtopic.ph...amp;highlight=. My instructions to follow will assume you are using my eqbackup00 file. If you opt to utilize Drawde's quest files as well, you'll need to unzip the contents of his quests0.1.zip to your C:\Games\EQEmu\ directory, using folder names to extract).
  8. Download EQEMu Patcher v1.0.1 from *EDIT* PATCHER NO LONGER USED *EDIT* (Sourceforge Files section) & install to the C:\Games\EQEmu\EQGame\ directory.
  9. Run the EQEMu Patcher v1.0.1 from *EDIT* PATCHER NO LONGER USED *EDIT*
  10. Copy the spells_en.txt file in the C:\Games\EQEmu\EQGame\ directory & paste it into the C:\Games\EQEmu\ directory.
  11. If you do not see the MySQL Administrator Tool icon running in your system tray already, you'll need to start it up by going to your C:\MySQL\bin directory, run (double-click) winmysqladmin.exe & enter both a user name & password (hereafter referred to as MySQL_user & MySQL_pass).
  12. Hide the winmysqladmin.exe window.
  13. Open command prompt in the C:\MySQL\bin directory & type mysql.exe -f.
  14. Enter in each of the commands in mysql.exe as follows:

create database eq;
    use eq;
    source eqbackup00.sql;
    INSERT INTO account SET name='eqemu', password='eqemu', status=200;
    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO '%'@127.0.0.1 IDENTIFIED BY '%' WITH GRANT OPTION;

(if the last step, the GRANT... command, gives you an access denied error, exit out of mysql.exe & open it again via the command prompt with mysql.exe --user=root eq & repeat the GRANT... command)
  15. Exit out of MySQL command prompt
  16. Open command prompt in the C:\Games\EQEmu\ directory & type: world.exe flag eqemu 200
  17. In the C:\Games\EQEmu\ directory, edit the db.ini file to read (leaving all but the indicated text alone):

[Database]
    host=localhost
    user=MySQL_user
    password=MySQL_pass
    database=eq
    compression=off

18. In the C:\Games\EQEmu\ directory, edit the LoginServer.ini file to read (leaving all but the indicated text alone):

[LoginServer]
    loginserver=localhost
    loginserver2=localhost
    loginport=5999
    loginport2=5999
    worldname=MyWorld
    worldaddress=localhost
    locked=false
    account=
    password=

[WorldServer]
    Defaultstatus=
    Unavailzone=

[LoginConfig]
    ServerMode=Standalone
    ServerPort=5999
    UplinkAddress=
    UplinkPort=
    UplinkAccount=
    UplinkPassword=

19. In the C:\Games\EQEmu\ directory, edit the Boot5zones.bat file to read (leaving all but the indicated text alone):

start zone . localhost 7995 localhost
    start zone . localhost 7996 localhost
    start zone . localhost 7997 localhost
    start zone . localhost 7998 localhost
    start zone . localhost 7999 localhost
    exit
    cls

(OPTIONAL: If you're running low on system memory, you can edit the Boot5zones.bat file to only boot up two zones at a time. To do this, simply place: REM in front of the last three "start zone" lines. This is not recommended if you plan on hosting zones for other users than yourself at the same time.)
  20. In the C:\Games\EQEmu\ directory, edit the MiniLoginAccounts.ini file to read (only):

localhost eqemu eqemu
  21. In the C:\Games\EQEmu\EQGame\ directory, edit the eqhost.txt file to read (only):

[Registration Servers]
    {
    "localhost:5999
    }
    [Login Servers]
    {
    "localhost:5999
    }

22. In the C:\Games\EQEmu\EQGame\ directory, edit the datarate.txt file (create if needed) to read (only):

23. In the C:\Games\EQEmu\ directory run: MiniLogin.exe (recommend placing shortcut to desktop)
  24. In the C:\Games\EQEmu\ directory run: World.exe (recommend placing shortcut to desktop)
  25. In the C:\Games\EQEmu\ directory run: Boot5zones.bat (recommend placing shortcut to desktop)
  26. Using the Windows Run window (in the Start Menu), type: C:\Games\EQEmu\EQGame\eqgame.exe patchme & press OK or Enter (recommend placing shortcut to desktop; Target field in shortcut properties should read: "C:\Games\EQEmu\EQGame\eqgame.exe" patchme)
  27. Login using: eqemu as the username & password

NOTE: If using "localhost" in the above files doesn't work for you, try using "127.0.0.1" (no quotes) instead.

PATCHER NOTES: *EDIT* PATCHER NO LONGER USED *EDIT*
After setting EQEmu up by following these steps, you should never again use the EQLive patcher to patch your EQEmu version of EQ. When new patch files are available for EQEmu/EQ, they'll be announced on these forums.

Remember to peruse the rest of these forums for a wealth of information on troubleshooting, updates, etc. I have found many handy tidbits buried in what would otherwise seem inconspicuous posts, so take a look around & use the search feature!

EDIT: Merth Jul/28/2003 - Removed patcher instructions, as patcher is no longer used.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Galin Nytshade
Fire Beetle

Default Thank you

I bow before thee, oh siplicifier. My feeble brain could not grasp the simple intructions given to me, but your insiteful rewording has been somewhat of a godsend to someone such as me who was not blessed with brains.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, thanks for putting this into step-by-step instructions for big stupidheads like me.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:05 AM
devlor
Sarnak

Default Thanks & a simple request

Thanks Galin Nytshade. I'm glad it has helped at least some people in solving their confusion/problems in getting this working. When I first came here, there was a lot to digest, & quickly felt overwhelmed by the complexity of it all. I tried reading all I could, but even still had questions when things went wrong. After getting no response to a few queries I'd made here on the boards & in IRC, I'd resolved to try & pass along what I'd learned to others who were probably every bit as confused as I was, once I'd gotten the hang of things.

I only ask that each person who this info. has helped please try to help at least one other person who comes here as lost as you once were, if you can.

BTW, I'll be updating this info. (by editing the top post) as new information comes to light, including new databases, so don't be surprised if this info. has changed slightly if you come back to view it again.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:17 AM
yvin
Fire Beetle

I appreciate the condensed version of the instructions. I finally got my lan server running with your help. Thanks! I only have one problem now, and I searched the forum and couldn't find any answers. Maybe I'm a total n00b and am failing at the obvious, but I can't get the in game commands to work. I have gm status, it says 200 by my name when I /who. But if I type--
/zone
#zone
/#zone
!zone
/!zone

etc etc... nothing happens. I've tried about half of the commands, all from differnet levels and nada. I can't spawn anything. I can't summon items. I can't lvl myself. Do I need to type the commands in the dos window?? I tried and can't do that either while the game is running. Am I missing something simple, or is this just some weird bug?

-y
Old 04-06-2003, 09:36 PM
xelnagan
Sarnak

You might want to add what I posted on http://forums.eqemu.net/viewtopic.php?t=6969 to your guide, it helps a bit when it comes to setting it up on another comp.

- Xelnagan
Old 04-07-2003, 02:14 PM
Lurker_005
Demi-God

Nicely written.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:44 AM
Twisted Mentality
Fire Beetle

ok I set up the minilogin and it works good no unexpected errors
but my problem lies inconnection to my minilogin

I changed eqhost.txt to read

[Registration Servers]
{
"24.102.211.196"
}
[Login Servers]
{
"24.102.211.196"
}

then tried to connect using eqemu patcher but it won't connect

any and all help is welcome thank you
Old 04-10-2003, 06:32 AM
rob348
Fire Beetle

Ok, I followed the walkthrough, but when i launch eqgame.exe patchme i login with a username and password that is different then what you gave (because i didnt use your user name), i login ok, but my server isnt in the list, infact the list is empty! Any suggestions? I am running win2000 server amd athlon xp 1500+ (1.33 ghz) i ran all of the servers you ran they all ran without error.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:06 AM
Parrin
Fire Beetle

Default access denied

I followed all your steps..including the grant...and I am still getting that I am denied access to get into it...I am putting in the same user name and password that I put into mysql
Old 04-11-2003, 04:25 AM
haecz
Hill Giant

Step 7. Download my original backup database from the attachment posted below (eqbackup00.zip) & install to the C:\MySQL\bin directory (overwrite = yes).

i cant find "eqbackup00.zip".. please give me a URL..
thisis driving me mad :P
Old 04-12-2003, 06:32 AM
devlor
Sarnak

When the forums, Website, etc. went down this past week, all attachments to forum posts were temporarily made unavailable too, apparently. Now that things are back to normal, it looks like the attachments are back up, so you should again find the link to the database above.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:55 PM
sirpez
Fire Beetle

Default enough is enough already... 1045 error is getting old...

OKAY!!! HERE GOES!!!
I've been working on getting this mess to work for days now. Currently i'm able to actually get onto the og in server and stuff, and i can even get all the way to the server select screen for eqemu but of course there's no servers up (at the moment i'm try to set up a server to be played from the same PC as described in your wonderful layout above.). NOW, i know it's because my "world.exe" isn't working right! I ALWAYS get this lame little:

"Failed to connect to database: Error: #1045: Access denied for user 'sirpez@localhost' (Using password: YES) .... etc. etc....."

SO, can't load up that sucker, let alone get the "world.exe flag eqemu 200" mess to stick. I've played around with just about every version of the "GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES..." commands i could find across these forums, and while it seems like they all get accepted by the 'mysql.exe' command thingy, i still get he same error over and over. FOR THE LUV OF GAWD SOME HELP ME I"M GIONG MAD!!!

kk now for the various stuffz ya need for troubleshoots:

-Using windows ME...
-Using EQEmu version 0.4.4 DR1 with telmet blah blah... (the bin file thingy delvore has u download from his tutorials link up top there.)
-Using the 'eqbackup00.zip' thing as my sourced sql for the db... (the one delvore provides up top under his sig.)

~~~EQEmu modified configs~~~

<<<<<Database.ini thingy:>>>>>>>>>>>

[Database]
host=localhost
user=<mysqlusername>
password=<mysqlpassword>
database=eq
compression=off

<<<<<<LoginServer.ini thingy:>>>>>>>>>>>>>

[LoginServer]
loginserver=localhost
loginserver2=localhost
loginport=5999
loginport2=5999
worldname=Pez World
worldaddress=localhost
locked=false
account=
password=

[WorldServer]
Defaultstatus=
Unavailzone=

[LoginConfig]
ServerMode=Standalone
ServerPort=5999
UplinkAddress=
UplinkPort=
UplinkAccount=
UplinkPassword=

<<<<<<<<<MinyLogAccount s thingy>>>>>>>>>>>>

localhost eqemu eqemu

<<<<<<<<< Boot5zones thingy >>>>>>>>>>> (and i've alreayd copied the spell_en thing to the EQEmu dir too...)

start zone . localhost 7995 localhost
start zone . localhost 7996 localhost
REM: start zone . localhost 7997 localhost
REM: start zone . localhost 7998 localhost
REM: start zone . localhost 7999 localhost
exit
cls

<<<<<<<<< eqhost text file>>>>>>>>>>>>

[Registration Servers]
{
"localhost:5999"
}
[Login Servers]
{
"localhost:5999"
}

<<<<<<<<< datarate text file >>>>>>>>>>>

__________________________________________________ ___

If ya need anything else yell at me an i'll toss it up here asap -- this mess is ridiculous!!!
Old 04-13-2003, 12:43 AM
devlor
Sarnak

Default Finding the sweet spot

Well, your config files appear to be in order. First off, are you making sure to have the MySQL Admin Tool running in the system tray at all times? This isn't always necessary for everyone (I myself don't need to), but for some users it is.

While I know you said you played around with various GRANT ALL permutations, I have to ask if you tried what I included above:
Quote:
(if the last step, the GRANT... command, gives you an access denied error, exit out of mysql.exe & open it again via the command prompt with mysql.exe --user=root eq & repeat the GRANT... command)
If you did this & you're still getting an access denied message, then the next things I'd ask would be if you're in any way, shape, or form, running a firewall (including, but not limited to, Windows XP's built-in Internet Connection Firewall) on your computer setup?

If not (& you're sure of this), then I'd suggest doing something I had to do once to set things aright when I was having trouble. First shut down MySQL completely (this means to shut down the service through the right-click contect menu in the MySQL Admin tool usually running in the tray icon, then shut the tool itself down). Next, go into your ...\WINDOWS\ directory & hunt down that little my.ini file & delete it. Also look for a my.cnf file in your root C:\ directory & delete it too if present. Reboot, then enter in your user name & password again (exactly as typed in your db.ini file, making sure no trailing spaces, etc. are present in either). Try logging in again & see if this helps.

If not, since I don't know what characters you're using in your MySQL user name & password, try changing them both to something simple involving only basic alphanumeric characters (no extended characters like _ or what have you) if you haven't already. Also try to limit them to 8 characters maximum in length each. I don't know if this is necessary, but these would be the very steps I'd be taking in trying to track down the source of the problem, via process of elimination.

Last, but not least, did you try this:
Quote:
NOTE: If using "localhost" in the above files doesn't work for you, try using "127.0.0.1" (no quotes) instead.
Aside from the above, I can't think of anything else at the moment. If you still have problems post back & either I or someone else might be able to help suggest further steps to take.

I do know though that the steps I detailed above have worked not just for me, but many others as well, so there has to be something unusual in your setup, whether it be a simple typo, firewall or other conflicting network hardware/software, etc. It's just a matter of finding out what that something is & correcting it, if possible.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:14 PM
sirpez
Fire Beetle

"WHEN GOD WHEN!!? WHEN'S GUNNA BE MY CHANCE TO SEE THE SAILBOAT!!? WHAT THE HELLS WRONG WITH ME!?!"...

anyways -- NEWS NEWS!

kk so like i officially have access now and i think it was like dead space in the "db.ini" in the grand end of things. so HURRAH!!! -- world at least attempts to work for me now and i got my GM flag but (and isn't there always a 'but'...) i got a new error heheheh.

Actually it' probably one i have been having i just hadn't noticed it yet way down there at the bottom of the "access died" read out. This is the complete read out i get when i try and to run the 'world.exe' : (also note the only thing i changed to the configs i have posted above is all instances of 'localhost' are now 127.0.0.1's and i guess i correctly entered the db info's with no dead space... on with the show)

C:\Eqemu>world.exe

Using database 'eq' at localhost
[Status] CURRENT_WORLD_VERSION: EQEMu 0.4.4-DR1
[Error] CURRENT_WORLD_VERSION: EQEMu 0.4.4-DR1
Loading Variables, zone names & items...
LoadEMuShareMemDLL::Load() failed error=120
Error: Could not load item data

Now i haven't scoured the boards for info about this little guy yet so i'll go do that -- heeh but i thought i should throw a progress report -- SOOOOO glad taht stupid access denied crap'o'la is over!!!
Old 04-14-2003, 04:41 PM
soulchild2k
Fire Beetle

Default having a little trouble

i am at the point where i start to write the mysql code and keep getting an error 1064 message after typing in ...

mysql.exe -f
create database eq;

anyone have any ideas why this might be happening