Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Database/World Building

Archive::Database/World Building Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 04-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Beretta
Sarnak

Default Adding character models

Another question for you all.

I have a character model that is the most kick ass model i have seen for a game in a long time. It's the character model of Manuel Calavera, and Domino from the game Grim Fandango.

Is there any way to add a new character model to the source or whatever to get my character model added into the game?

The character model is LEET. It's a skeleton in a suit, who when told to do so, can whip out a fold-up scythe out of his coat pocket. He whips it out, and with a couple flicks of his wrist he has his scythe unfolded and ready for Reaping the dead.

I personally think this would be an AWESOME addition to eqemu since its not really eqlive and people like to customize their servers in their own ways. I figured, why not add a new character model for people to select from?

Maybe replace the stupid Froglok race with the "Skeleton" race or something, and maybe adding a "Reaper" class, or just making the necro class be able to use this character model.

Dunno, just a basic, very minutely thought out idea.

Lemme know what you think!
Old 04-24-2004, 12:23 AM
MrJag
Hill Giant

if i had a small fraction of the brains some of these Devs have at this stuff id try that lol

Former Server Op
Iron Tower Server
Old 04-24-2004, 02:17 AM
animepimp
Dragon

This is not something you can just add to the Emu and call it done. to do this you have to hack apart the exes for the client and figure out how to add an extra model for them, which is no where near easy. Then you have to also hack apart which ever data file contains all the models for the client and after formatting your model to the EQ format for models add it into there which is slightly easier, but not very. Then you have to send all these files to everyone who you want to use them and don't let Sony catch you. And don't think you can ask a dev or somebody around here how you do this, because n one around here does this, changing exe files is completely different from writing your own programs then compiling them into exes.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:10 AM
smogo
Discordant

Windcatcher has come very close to changing models in the s3d files. Only him can tell for sure how far he's succeeded, but i remember he could force load models from any zone to any custom zone.

As for changing player character models (adding requires hacking .exe afaik), it means changing in the player model s3d file (i.e. making a new one and substitute), then sharing that s3d file with all players. ZoneProxy would help, but would not be enough as it is now.

Changing char models is an interesting idea, but involves much knowledge of the s3d files, much work to build new ones, and very much set mind to go through all unexpected technical difficulties (read : SOE tweaks in client code ruining part of the project everytime a new step is made)

You may want to give a try anyway. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Beretta
Sarnak

Well i was thinking of just trying to replace the erudite with the skeleton model. Hrmmm im too noob to actually go in and edit the s3d files. I was just wondering if there would be a possibility of doing so
Old 04-24-2004, 04:33 PM
NarutoLegacy
Discordant

In 10 years when im a big time rpg game designer ill check that out for you guys.
Change Maxlevel

Kaio Kuzumaki of the East, Owner of Tides of War [Custom-Legit] PvP Server
Orome, Lord of the Woods, Middle-Earth Roleplay PvP Server
Kaio Kuzumaki of the East, Owner of Kaio's All-GM Test Server