Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:01 PM
saweb
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy84 View Post
. . . But without a LS, what are a bunch of helpless souls to do.
Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
Being a mod, I am actually far nicer than normal...

You can thank Mattmeck for neutering me...
LOL

StAy FoCuSSed on EQ2EMU
EQ2EMU is alive!,by gods, I swear it!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:48 AM
LethalEncounter
Former Administrator/Developer

Been away for a few weeks taking care of stuff, but I'm back now. Now that we can packet collect from live once again, the question becomes whether we want to wait until the next expansion comes out and do the same thing that eqemu did with Titanium. This is scheduled to be on November 13th. I could start working on updating the server, but because of the number of patches between now and then it will most likely be a closed beta. I might allow a few people to help test if they want to. This will allow me to concentrate on getting the server running.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:00 AM
Demi-God

I wouldn't expect vast changes if any at all to the login server or world server. Should just get a packet collector out that works now and start collecting packets so you have a good head start. Once the expansion comes around then you will only have minor changes to make, not to mention I believe the Rise of Kunark expansion does not come out till late November.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:16 AM
LethalEncounter

Yah, that is what I am thinking, but if I make it an open beta then I will get hounded with people saying: "Which version do I need to have?", "Why can't I login?", "How do I know which version I have?", etc. Making it a closed beta until the expansion is released will allow me to focus more time on coding and less time answering questions. Once the expansion is released we freeze the client and do like eqemu did with Titanium. The problem with releasing the packet logger right now is that if SOE finds out the method it is using to grab the key, they might shut it down for good. We might release it to the public around October, but any sooner will risk breaking the project again.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Hellbend
Fire Beetle

I think wait is the better idea. Wait 2 or 3 months is better than no one emulator never.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:45 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalEncounter View Post
Yah, that is what I am thinking, but if I make it an open beta then I will get hounded with people saying: "Which version do I need to have?", "Why can't I login?", "How do I know which version I have?", etc. Making it a closed beta until the expansion is released will allow me to focus more time on coding and less time answering questions. Once the expansion is released we freeze the client and do like eqemu did with Titanium. The problem with releasing the packet logger right now is that if SOE finds out the method it is using to grab the key, they might shut it down for good. We might release it to the public around October, but any sooner will risk breaking the project again.
I agree with you there LE. Have to answer questions like the stupid one I sent you in PM is just pointless if there coming in all the time, but thats why you got guys like John Adams or myself. We can swim around the forums and take care of most of the questions that may come up, like what version works and such. But anyhow, closed beta sounds best for those that can spare the time and have a available client to work. I myself think I have one, but not sure.

I think I recommend a few post back about freezing at a certain point and then catching up to that point in terms of content and performance. Granted we may have to move away down the line, but chasing live and adding the past two years of content in there is just way to much to ask.

The biggest thing though is where the project is located. Being a post in the Off-topic section of Everquest Emulator is the greatest thing as far as viewability goes. For example, anyone interested in a Everquest 2 Private Server will google it and the first result is a post in this off topic board that is 3 years old.

I dunno, I fell like maybe I should shut my mouth as I havent done anything for the project so I shouldnt be makeing any recommendations. Ignore me if you want to, but count me in when this gets going.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:00 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

I would also agree on closed beta, until you get something that is viable, playable, and that the average novice can setup at least as easily as EQEmu. We've waited a while, I'm sure we can wait a few more mos. I think the general panic is, there is one poor soul working on this. Should he get fed up or quit, the project dies (or at least stalls, since someone else would have to learn the code to pick up).

Not saying it'll go this way, and I am not saying there really IS one guy doing all the work (LE ) but that's what it appears, and I think that's the general sense around the forum. More people should help you with it... and not just the "me toos", but people who can communicate intelligently, know the language, and can dedicate the time.

I also feel EQ2Emu deserves it's own community. This thread is swell, but it's a lot to scan through to find specific info and will only get worse.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:22 AM
saweb
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalEncounter View Post
Well I certainly do not suggest an open beta. Keep the project closed, . . . at least in the *vulnerable* first stages.

This project is alive again, I swear it. . .

StAy FoCuSSed on EQ2EMU
EQ2EMU is alive!,by gods, I swear it!

Last edited by saweb; 07-23-2007 at 12:31 PM..
Old 07-23-2007, 08:28 AM
ZexisStryfe
Fire Beetle

I believe LE is correct. A closed beta is best for now. Once RoK comes out then we can freeze the project there until we get it up and running. With 1 year between expansions now, it shouldn't be that difficult to keep up, should it?

RoK is in fact being released on Nov 13th. The only major changes with that expansion (not counting content of course) is the addition of the Sarnak and the raising of the level cap to 80. Neithe rof those seem all that world-shattering, but then again... what do I know...
Old 07-23-2007, 08:47 AM
LethalEncounter

On the surface it doesnt sound like much, but SOE has a habit of using expanions as an excuse to totally rewrite certain aspects of the game. I guess because maybe people are more forgiving if they get a beneficial feature after all the chaos dies down.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:04 AM
LethalEncounter

Aye, I might get a dedicated server again for this project that I could pay for using ad revenue (if the project ever becomes popular enough). Has anyone heard of AIT for dedicated hosting? Their prices blow everything else out of the water:

http://www.ait.com/dedicated-hosting.php

Just cant help but think there is a catch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
I would also agree on closed beta, until you get something that is viable, playable, and that the average novice can setup at least as easily as EQEmu. We've waited a while, I'm sure we can wait a few more mos. I think the general panic is, there is one poor soul working on this. Should he get fed up or quit, the project dies (or at least stalls, since someone else would have to learn the code to pick up).

Not saying it'll go this way, and I am not saying there really IS one guy doing all the work (LE ) but that's what it appears, and I think that's the general sense around the forum. More people should help you with it... and not just the "me toos", but people who can communicate intelligently, know the language, and can dedicate the time.

I also feel EQ2Emu deserves it's own community. This thread is swell, but it's a lot to scan through to find specific info and will only get worse.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

Saw this, and i'm DEFINATELY interested as a 3 year (almost!) eq2 vet in a raiding guild.

I'm hoping you guys can get it together and maybe I can start helping.

Sounds very complicated to get started up, seeing as i've only worked with the foundation that EQ1 Emulator has.

*edit*

About keeping it closed beta until Rise of Kunark... good idea. Freezing on an expansion allows you to work on it and get the foundation down, while keeping those questions out of the community that the devs + moderators have to answer all the time. I remember back in 2004, I visited the forums and saw tons of questions about "What patch works? When will it work with x patch, and when will it work with y update?"

That took time out of development i'm sure, and is a good reason to keep it closed.

Not only that, but it's better to work on features one patch at a time.

Last edited by Secrets; 07-23-2007 at 07:12 PM..
Old 07-23-2007, 12:11 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalEncounter
Has anyone heard of AIT for dedicated hosting? Their prices blow everything else out of the water:
$70/mo for web hosting?!? Holy god. I used "3Essentials" (I an sure they are not 'dedicated' tho) until I started my own hosting service with a friend, and it looked like the same stats, for $5/mo... billed monthly. Or is that a place to host a game server too? If the latter, 2GB/mo does not sound like a lot of bandwidth. I think I use that much browsing this forum every week.

http://www.3essentials.com/personal-web-hosting.asp
Old 07-23-2007, 12:26 PM
LethalEncounter

Nah, it is a dedicated server meaning you have root access and full control over the server. This is necessary to easily set up a login server on it. Also the bandwidth is 2,000GB (or 2 TB/month). Most places give you between 750GB-1TB for that price.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quick google search for reviews on them:

http://www.webhostingjury.com/reviews/AIT_

Seems like people have problems with them.