Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:51 PM
boscorillium
Fire Beetle

Default EQEmu Linux Distro?

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I was wondering if anyone had considered this? Of course, I could take the time and do it, but I am focusing on getting up to speed on the code base.

That way it would have everything needed, setup and ready to go. I think that would be great. Of course there are some decisions that would have to be made, i.e. which database to use, but if it came setup and properly configured, there could be easy to run scripts that were guaranteed to work to load one database or the other or both.

Just an idea...
Old 06-27-2006, 03:55 AM
Jaezzy
Fire Beetle

That would be a wonderful thing. The current Linux howto on the wiki is lacking quite a bit and is incomplete.

If I ever figure out how to get mine going properly, I might have to submit a howto of my own.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:00 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscorillium
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I was wondering if anyone had considered this? Of course, I could take the time and do it, but I am focusing on getting up to speed on the code base.

That way it would have everything needed, setup and ready to go. I think that would be great. Of course there are some decisions that would have to be made, i.e. which database to use, but if it came setup and properly configured, there could be easy to run scripts that were guaranteed to work to load one database or the other or both.

Just an idea...
I guess what you mean is rpms for the assorted distros that are out - that would be a big project within itself.
If you've been into Linux for a while, then you must be ready to tackle minor issues that come up when compiling a source . In my case, I run Linux-Mandriva distros on my machines. I thought the EQEMU source compiled much, much easier under my Linux than in windows. In fact, I still can't figure out how to compile eqemu under windows; the problem is not with the source, but with the MS compilers and their backwards compatibilty, or compatibilty with something that's not stamped "Microsoft" on the side.
On the other hand, I had LInux EQEMU running right away.
But, after giving it all some thought; I like all the nice windows eqemu tools/editors that are out, all the windows info, etc. I guess EQEMU is really a windows project for now. I have an old WindowsXP machine sitting around doing nothing, now its sports the EQEMU server with all the editors I like. I use the newest binaries that are posted, and they work fine for me.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Jaezzy
Fire Beetle

Getting it compiled isn't so much the issue. It's what to do after you have everything compiled.

What would be nice is a ./configure script that you could give a --prefix= argument to and then once everything is compiled, you could do a 'make install' and have all the binaries and start/stop scripts set up and ready to go, provided that you had your db set up properly.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaezzy
Getting it compiled isn't so much the issue. It's what to do after you have everything compiled.

What would be nice is a ./configure script that you could give a --prefix= argument to and then once everything is compiled, you could do a 'make install' and have all the binaries and start/stop scripts set up and ready to go, provided that you had your db set up properly.
I agree with you there, it is a bit of a hassle after compile "make install" would be nice - still a "walk through the park" compared to the windows nightmare I had.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:43 AM
boscorillium
Fire Beetle

No, actually I what meant was an EQEmu distro like I said. I remember some how-tos about making your own distro based on some of the easy frames that are out there. I mean, in essence it's adding a few special setup steps to a standard Debian or such install to configure things properly. Granted I'm glossing over a lot of details, but if someone had the experience they could probably do it relatively easy.

Although RPMs aren't a bad idea either. I'm personally running everything on Windows, but that's because I'm a Visual Studio junkie.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Belfedia
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscorillium
I mean, in essence it's adding a few special setup steps to a standard Debian.
This guide is perhaps better with a Ubuntu distro ? more easy for linux newb ? no ? Ubuntu is light and easy to understand for a windows user.
http://eqfroggy.new.fr : Froggy French Server Website.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:40 AM
Greyhill
Fire Beetle

I use Ubuntu as both a server and client (Cedega). I've found that the existing documentation for server setup is pretty good, with the only possible confusing thing being following along with the database changes in the changelog. Compiling the source, etc isn't difficult, except for silly problems with the makefile (expecting gmake, eqpacketcollect...).

Maybe the best idea would be a script that tries to keep up to date with the changelog/database structure. Idk about dpkg, but wouldn't portage be able to handle something like that?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:15 AM
castlusion
Fire Beetle

Default Possible

i use a package on debian sarge that let me put classroom <it a project> on a debian distro and burn a disc it preat good about self installing just a few basic distro questions ... how ever run into the fact you still have to get soem file that we can not distrbute for the server ...
hmmmm ill look at how hard it would be to set up apt-get and a server loction to keep it up to date ... just thinking ... i try not to do that to often
Old 07-07-2006, 03:39 AM
Teppen
Banned

I think the poster of this thread is referring to making a LFS distro. There's a project called Linux From Scratch. Where it guides you through making your own distro out of the current distro on your system. I remember seeing a guide online that O'Reily posted where they had stripped down a distro that was around 600mb and made a server distro that was 8 or 10mb. I think the poster of this thread was saying create a linux distro tailored to eqemu. Might be wrong what its what I gathered by reading it.

If this is the case, Ive used such methods above to create my own LFS tailored to eqemu. Started off with Trustix Secure Linux distro, and stripped it down to what I wanted, and included all packages necessary to run an eqemu server but nothing beyond server stuff. Also, since i dont play on the server computer, I left the distro as text based, with scripts that automatically loaded a text menu with start, stop, restart, and configured it to automatically start eqemu on bootup. This can be done very easily just gotta know your scripting.

Ive tailored everything to my hardware, stripped down the kernel to only look for my hardware and features that I use.

In short, a distro tailored specifically for eqemu is nice, but because everyone uses different hardware and configs I dont see a LFS being supported by eqemulator anytime soon. Instead I think if you want a LFS then you will have to do it yourself, thats the only way you can truly tailor it to your system.