PDA

View Full Version : Developer looking for project involvment

Stabones
10-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Hi all

I have been playing EQEmu for many years now. I've never really dabbled in the development side of it.

As I have gotten older(boo), my lifestyle has changed allowing me more hobby time. I am looking to get into EQEmu development as one of my new hobbies.

As a developer, I know sometimes you get thrown head first into a large project. Usually you have no choice. This time around I do have a choice.

I am slowly learning about the EQEmu architecture. As you know though, there is a lot of information.

I would rather become a part of a project, new or ongoing, and start helping where I can. Whether that be with utilities, quests, or server mods.

With that said, I am offering my time and expertise as a 10 year professional c/c++/c#/java desktop and mobile developer.

Does anyone need any help?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Stabones

Vexyl
10-01-2013, 07:12 PM
I've also recently started looking at the EQEmu code. From my understanding, unless there's a huge system being implemented like Lua scripting, developers here will individually code bug fixes/implementions as needed whenever they have the time to do so.

So if you spot a bug in the code, send in the fix via git. See something that needs refactoring? Create a pull request with the new design. Check out the EQEmu bugs section on Github and here on the forums, find something to fix, etc. Staying in the EQEmu developer's IRC channel is also probably a good idea.

I don't have any professional experience, but I have been a hobbyist for some time. Whenever I have time I try to help out however I can by answering common questions, reporting bugs, and helping with setting up servers. Anyways, I'm sure this community will find your skills useful.

Good luck!

Uleat
10-01-2013, 08:07 PM
To add to what Vexyl wrote..

I would suggest contacting one of the dev's beforehand if it's going to be a large patch or affect the engine/game dynamics.

Sometimes there's a reason things are done a certain way :)

Secrets
10-01-2013, 09:41 PM
I've also recently started looking at the EQEmu code. From my understanding, unless there's a huge system being implemented like Lua scripting, developers here will individually code bug fixes/implementions as needed whenever they have the time to do so.

So if you spot a bug in the code, send in the fix via git. See something that needs refactoring? Create a pull request with the new design. Check out the EQEmu bugs section on Github and here on the forums, find something to fix, etc. Staying in the EQEmu developer's IRC channel is also probably a good idea.

I don't have any professional experience, but I have been a hobbyist for some time. Whenever I have time I try to help out however I can by answering common questions, reporting bugs, and helping with setting up servers. Anyways, I'm sure this community will find your skills useful.

Good luck!

This is the way to go about contributing to this project. Couldn't have said it any better.

Stabones
10-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the direction folks! You'll be seeing more of me

Uleat
10-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Your name isn't Anthony, is it? :)

Stabones
10-03-2013, 07:28 PM
It isn't. Sorry to disappoint.

sorvani
10-04-2013, 09:25 AM
A good place to start if you are learning EQEmu would be to simply build some live quests that are not implemented in the PEQ quest repo yet.

Just build a stock server locally so you can have all the commands and go implement a new quest. New work should all be in Lua but Perl is still acceptable.

You can start in the server code by just checking the Git repo issue list. Or if you know of another bug not listed, post it then fix it.