Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Kineldar
Fire Beetle

Default Winter's Roar

Has anyone that played on WR server been on the IRC channel? I've been looking for more info as to where the situation currently stands. Been on the channel wiz put out but havent seen anyone there.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:35 PM
greg_boz
Fire Beetle

Has anyone that played on WR server been on the IRC channel? I've been looking for more info as to where the situation currently stands. Been on the channel wiz put out but havent seen anyone there.

http://67.15.24.48/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4449

Unfortunately the tone of this IRC blog suggests Wiz is using this as a way to springboard into their new project, and are not expressing much interest in protecting WR for future development. This is a shame because there are many of us who've been developing characters on WR for over a year.

A huge part of the appeal of WR was all the fond memories of playing EQ. A new custom game(with new artwork) will be sorely lacking in the nostalgia department.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:38 PM
killspree
Dragon

I'm glad you feel that way, it's a shame you don't realize the possible legal reprocussions faced by continuing with the server.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:42 PM
greg_boz
Fire Beetle

I'm glad you feel that way, it's a shame you don't realize the possible legal reprocussions faced by continuing with the server.

Could you clarify that please? How are any of the EQ emu sites different in this regard? Also, why have previous legal challenges failed on the grounds that the EQ client is owned by the player after purchase? Is this suddenly insufficient protection from the lawyer monsters?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:46 PM
killspree
Dragon

You're better off asking WR admins that rather than speculating.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:48 PM
acaylian
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_boz

Could you clarify that please? How are any of the EQ emu sites different in this regard? Also, why have previous legal challenges failed on the grounds that the EQ client is owned by the player after purchase? Is this suddenly insufficient protection from the lawyer monsters?
you're ignorant to the fact sony has lawyers working for them (ie- it costs them nothing to hire lawyers) who can and will take it to court, regardless of if they're right or wrong. do you personally want to pay for winter's roar's defense? didn't think so.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:56 PM
greg_boz
Fire Beetle

you're ignorant to the fact sony has lawyers working for them (ie- it costs them nothing to hire lawyers) who can and will take it to court, regardless of if they're right or wrong. do you personally want to pay for winter's roar's defense? didn't think so.

None of us are ignorant of that fact. What I have been is blissfully ignorant of the fact that I live in a world where anyone at any time can be accused, indicted, and found guilty of anything provided there's enough money involved.

Are things like laws, jury and judge just a figment of the past? It's terribly sad that the 'good guys' are too scared to stand up for what they believe in.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:18 PM
acaylian
Fire Beetle

Quote:
[i]Are things like laws, jury and judge just a figment of the past? It's terribly sad that the 'good guys' are too scared to stand up for what they believe in.
unfortunately they require a lot of money in scenarios similar to this... it's also obvious sony does not care in the least regarding hostile emails and phone calls from pissed off x-customers, so there's really not a hell of a lot which can be done if it does get brought to court.

if it doesn't and everything reads out ok, i wouldn't mind seeing winter's roar handed down to someone else if Wiz would like to dedicate his time in full to his new project.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:37 AM
snorfy
Fire Beetle

Greg_Boz,

I wonder who has more invested into Winters Roar?

You with your 1 year of play, or Wiz?

Perhaps you should just thank him for the good time he provided to you, and move on if you think his new project is of no merit.

Others don't agree with you, and I think your post is way on the self-centered me, me, me side of things.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:09 AM
Traul
Hill Giant

I can't believe your selfishness, Greg. Yes, I want to see WR come back up more than anything as well, but to really put the burden onto Wiz to have to attempt to fight this is unfair.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:40 AM
mrjp
Fire Beetle

Quote:

None of us are ignorant of that fact. What I have been is blissfully ignorant of the fact that I live in a world where anyone at any time can be accused, indicted, and found guilty of anything provided there's enough money involved.

Are things like laws, jury and judge just a figment of the past? It's terribly sad that the 'good guys' are too scared to stand up for what they believe in.
Individuals often don't have the money to hire lawyers for civil courts...
Old 06-28-2005, 05:31 AM
solid11
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaylian
But do realize that Sony does have an image to maintain and taking every tom, dick and harry to court over every minor detail and losing would hurt them in the long run. I'm not saying all cases will lose but they're not that egotistical to just throw away money and their image on every nobody out there. Investers do look at how a company handles their legal matters too.

I'm just replying to this one quote, and not agreeing that WR should just throw the site up and not worry about Sony, btw. Scare tactics my friend, scare tactics.....
Old 06-28-2005, 06:44 AM
Shazzel
Fire Beetle

The company that hosts their website also wants it closed since they want no part of sony's legal team.

They could prabably find a new host, move the servers to mexico or something off shore but it sounds like they want to use the closing to boost their new game onto the scene. (If your still playing WR you might not care about their new project)

They want to get the project rolling in alpha, then get baught out by (insert company name here) and end up being widely marketed and financed.

$$$$$$
Old 06-28-2005, 08:27 AM
Sarepean
Discordant

Perhaps their old players should be a major part of their beta team and have some kind of benefit in release? I imagine they still have their database, just have players claim their accounts. *shrugs*
Old 06-28-2005, 08:41 AM
Wiz
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarepean
Perhaps their old players should be a major part of their beta team and have some kind of benefit in release? I imagine they still have their database, just have players claim their accounts. *shrugs*
We plan on giving all old players testing accounts.