Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpious2k
Maybe if you throw in Devn00b....
Yeah, I know. Take out devn00b and its 3 billion. >.>

namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Demi-God

Hahahah... wait, that wasn't funny.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:46 PM
cronikus
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisyouc
Yeah, I know. Take out devn00b and its 3 billion. >.>

I think you need to go back to 3rd grade buddy...they have a class they teach there...called Reading Comprehension.

Try again!
Old 11-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronikus
I think you need to go back to 3rd grade buddy...they have a class they teach there...called Reading Comprehension.

Try again!
or.... it could be HUMOR
Old 11-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Demi-God

Or its just another attempt for a mod to get away with putting down users while you guys scream at users for putting down others.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:44 PM
RangerDown
Demi-God

Quote:
No, we were going to give it away for free ay first, Then we thought about dozens of poor quality clones running and decided we needed a better idea. By charging for it we can control the number of copies that get out there and ensure that the people running it are serious about it and willing to not only invest a little money in it, but also some time.
A couple of points. The first being that you can't really "control" the number of copies. I'd wager we'll be seeing the S2K server code out in public places pretty soon, possibly by the end of the year.

That said, even those who paid for it are sitting on garbage unless they're willing to put their hands where their money is. With that strong statement, I am *NOT* trying to put down S2K's work in any way!!! What I'm saying is that what made S2K as successful as it is was not just the development work, but the constant attention and time investment to the server by a motivated group of GM's and designers. Buyers, take heed: the $200 you just invested is JUST THE BEGINNING of your investment.

Unfortunately, we've had many people come along here in the past with a decent amount of disposable income, setting up a dedicated server (sometimes a much more powerful one than what would be needed to run this), only to have the server never take off because they expected to just turn it on, do nothing else with it, and see the playerbase grow. I'm going to bet that most of S2K's buyers fall under this category, so really all selling it accomplished was keeping it out of the hands of those who DID have time just not money. That's not to say he was wrong in charging for it, since you can't exactly charge "time". O well...
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:19 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDown
What I'm saying is that what made S2K as successful as it is was not just the development work, but the constant attention and time investment to the server by a motivated group of GM's and designers. Buyers, take heed: the $200 you just invested is JUST THE BEGINNING of your investment.
I can't argue the point. But I will add that the rewards from the investment of time and effort, as well as the chance to see your creative ideas become reality, are incredible. There is nothing else like it.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Scorp, you're such a salesman.

namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisyouc
Scorp, you're such a salesman.
Thanks, but I was really just talking about what it's like to be a server op. Or am I the only person who feels that way about it?
Old 11-25-2005, 08:30 PM
iamjooish
Banned

/irrelevance
Well I could tell you about my experiences with my private & nonlegit (do anything, explore anywhere) server, but seeing as how I was the only player...

As for seeing creative ideas becoming reality, I tried that with Neverwinter Night's Aurora Tools, decided it was about as ambitious as recruiting childeren and Jehova's Witnesses for a pyramid scheme. I then proceded to AOE an entire (private server) zone with just console commands, much to the lament of Fippy Darkpaw.
/irrelevance
Old 11-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Arex
Hill Giant

I would pay 300 $ for a stable server populated until PoP, stable and complete, with all AA's working, and spawn, loots, mobs, etc. perfectly added.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Xtal2004
Fire Beetle

This is the kind of thing I want. I want to be able to play EQ and do what I want on my own. I dont mind if anyone else can play or not. I want to be able to turn myself into any boss/mob I want. Just do anything at all. Could you guys tell me how you went about doing this? Thanks.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:11 PM
lucindrea
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlife Treestrider
Imo selling S2K was the most horrible idea you could make... now we have like 10 S2K versions just floating around. Fucking stupid.

i would just be happy with the 5.7 source .. but only because it's all i can currenty log into now and playing as a player was never what attracted me to emulation .... of course $200 is way over my pocket change ( i'm lucky if i can afford smokes on my way home tonight ) and even if i did , i have no need for the playerbase , database or quests ... as a dev 1/2 the fun is customizing that stuff for myself.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:50 PM
DijonCyanide
Fire Beetle

Cool ?s about S2K

Had a few ?s regarding your S2K for EQ. If you could Scorpious2K contact me @ myhell3212@sbcglobal.net i would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:35 AM
gottasummer
Discordant

Sorry for bumping this old topic, but what version are you running again? 5.x, or is it 6.x?

Either way, I will offer $10 via paypal for it :S $200 is wayyy too much... main reason I want it is just because of the zones.