Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 10:57 PM
iamjooish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexen1
I personally, the one whom does "all" database work am dealing with real life problems
I see 'real life' issues/problems/etc has become codename for "i'm putting it on the backburner until it becomes interesting again".

Quote:
you have no clue what is going on between the team of Dark Horizons...
If they are anything like other teams of freetime/hobby software developers, they probably have frequent infighting or petty squabbles, massive egoes bigger than John Romero's, lousy interpersonal skills, kind abrasive, have trouble remaining on task, etc.

Quote:
but I would bet the majority of you wish you could tell this guy off like I did but are afraid to get banned.
I'm not meaning to tell anyone off, but yeah... I give less than a rat's about being banned merely for unpopular or controversial views.

And, I've heard the whole "RL probs" excuse enough times only to discover that it's a thinly veiled euphemism for getting bored with a chosen hobby; it is cliched beyond those Wassup! Beer commercials. Thanks, next please.

Edit:

Oh yeah, my armpits smell worse than Ortega stinky salsa atm, and I haven't bathed in 8 years, nor wiped me bum, brushed teeth, shaved etc. Just an FYI :twisted:

Last edited by iamjooish; 11-27-2005 at 07:10 AM..
Old 11-27-2005, 09:31 AM
johane
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjooish
I see 'real life' issues/problems/etc has become codename for "i'm putting it on the backburner until it becomes interesting again".

If they are anything like other teams of freetime/hobby software developers, they probably have frequent infighting or petty squabbles, massive egoes bigger than John Romero's, lousy interpersonal skills, kind abrasive, have trouble remaining on task, etc.

I'm not meaning to tell anyone off, but yeah... I give less than a rat's about being banned merely for unpopular or controversial views.

And, I've heard the whole "RL probs" excuse enough times only to discover that it's a thinly veiled euphemism for getting bored with a chosen hobby; it is cliched beyond those Wassup! Beer commercials. Thanks, next please.

Edit:

Oh yeah, my armpits smell worse than Ortega stinky salsa atm, and I haven't bathed in 8 years, nor wiped me bum, brushed teeth, shaved etc. Just an FYI :twisted:
Completely Off Topic:

Why do so many people become rude and arrogant on Forums? Are these people like this in RL? Is it that the thin illusion of anonymity allows them to crawl out from beneath their insignificant lives and seem strong and powerful?

And why do people seem to think that the people who volunteer to run a server have then contracted to perpetual slavery? I notice that very few of these people seem to run their own servers, or help the FSF, or post patches in linux-kernel mailing lists. Perhaps they do voluntary work in their RL communities, where they show such an amazing level of dedication that they are justified standing on their High Horse and putting down those who don't measure up to their own standards of acceptable dedication.

Oddly enough, in the nearly 45 years I've been on this planet, those who do show great dedication to a public cause, whether it be OSS, feeding the poor, cleaning the parks or manning the pedestrian crossings near schools, seem to have been polite, non-judgemental people who would never show the kind of bastardry we've seen in this thread.

LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE!

EQ AND EQEMU IS A GAME!

To look at some of the posts in this thread, you'd think that the lack of a live, complete and perfect Dark Horizons is:

1) causing deep and personal pain to some,
2) is a personal affront to others,
3) is a leading cause of war and stress in the world today

Come on folks - does the timing of the opening of DH really matter this much?
Old 11-27-2005, 12:15 PM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

Quote:
Why do some people become so rude and arrogant on Forums?
Many reasons. In my case I just got tired of the posts that people put up about questions that could be EASILY answered by opening ones eyes. It was unfortunate that I happened upon Arex's post which stated he was a self-proclaimed "veteran" of the community but asked such an immensly stupid question. I admit I was rather mean or rude to him. Such was my decision. But I hope you would not excuse the people who replied negatively to me, or to anyone else stating their personal opinions no matter how extreme?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Richardo
Banned

Alright lol, no point in bickering mates.

Listen, I work on Dark Horizons on my spare time when I can just like Cofruben works on Coding and fixes on his spare time when he can. Currently I have a job which takes up most of my time and I do have real life issues such as my cable internet bill conflicting with my insurance bills. It is perfectly fine for these guys to have their opinion set on Dark Horizons that it will "never launch", and "it sucks" but the matter of the fact is that we have invested a lot time and hardwork into this server and critisism is always expected. Look at major projects such as Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft, many people love these games and many people insult them on how "crappy" they are. Just let me ask you two guys one thing though, what position are you to judge Dark Horizons? Where is your server that makes your opinion so high and mighty? Please enlighten me...

Anyhow, Dark Horizons is on a halt at the moment because right now we are attempting to recruit more members that can assist with the content of the server to improve it. Woodlife, I have made friends and I have made enemies with Everquest Emulator... I have no authority over EQEMU nor do I have pull from the developers to ban anyone. I am a normal member of EQEMU and I have been around for a long time so please, if anyone has something to say to me.. By all means feel free... I respect this community very much now, even though my past actions contridict that statement and I have not recently given anyone the reason to dislike me. (Except for Kumadar -_-).. On Iamjooish's comment about the frequent fighting and "bored with project comment".. Me and Cofruben are really good friends and we talk all the time, there are no disruptions between the Dark Horizons team, however there are only 3 active developers on the project and this project is very custom and balancing custom pvp/teambased servers is quite difficult. Please Iamjooish, if you're so well informed about "most" freetime projects, show me a glipse of what you have accomplished for EQEMU and then perhaps your comment will matter.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Oust
Fire Beetle

Default haha

PWNT you tell-em rich!

-Yocracka!
Old 11-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Woodlife Treestrider
Banned

Quote:
Just let me ask you two guys one thing though, what position are you to judge Dark Horizons?
What position are we in? We are in the position that everyone as well as you is in. Saying someones opinion is not legit because YOU say they aren't in the position to give it proves how immature you are.

Quote:
Please Iamjooish, if you're so well informed about "most" freetime projects, show me a glipse of what you have accomplished for EQEMU and then perhaps your comment will matter.
And then again, as we see here you prove yourself to be immature yet again. You cannot base someones opinion or rights on what they have accomplished, atleast not in a type of community that this is. Everyone has their opinion and everyone's opinion is respected just as another's. Why? Because this is a gaming community. This is not a community that is building computers, in which case accurate opinions are a little more expected. You are making a game and you are trying to say you do not want critism or opinions from your players. And any opinions that are negative you immediately accuse them of being naive and misunderstanding of YOUR situation? This is not a right or wrong answer type of community. Or atleast that's how it should be.

You being a developer for this community gives you no less or no more of a respective opinion. You have people rooting and backing you up because they think you are something important. Once these people realize that you - 1) Do not need this community to play EQEmu and 2) That praising and backing you up even though they do not actually believe your opinion, will only get them as far as this forum. Do not fool yourself Rich, you have no more of a right as anyone else in this community. And to announce on your own that you think you do, or should, is pathetic.

I actually did have respect for you and the others on DH. You took it much to personal and made yourself look bad.

P.S.: The above statement I can guarantee will be quoted and flamed saying you did nothing wrong, but re-read the post and you will understand why. Im sure sooner or later people will realize this and stop sucking the dick of all the "leet" members of this community.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:07 PM
iamjooish
Banned

Pfft, I wasn't even commenting on DH anyways; by all means make it into whatever you want. But not before grasping some basic comprehension.

I was taking the piss on narcissistic programming types and their cronies, as well as anyone who uses 'real life drama' as a crutch for waning interest. Ie, you. Don't like character attacks from strangers? Well, then, you sir are a hypocrite (as that wood tree guy pointed out).

/sarcasm
Get off my damned pedastal already. 'Been keepin it warm way too long.
/sarcasm

Quote:
Why do so many people become rude and arrogant on Forums?
Dunno, you tell me. What is the justification for Lexen's vanity and condescending attitude, exactly? The dude thinks he's John Carmack jr.
I just felt like ribbing, and lexen made a nice victim. That's how most people get started.

Quote:
1) causing deep and personal pain to some,
2) is a personal affront to others,
3) is a leading cause of war and stress in the world today
Satire. Love it.
too bad it's got nothing to do with what I said.

Quote:
EQ AND EQEMU IS A GAME!

second edit-
Quote:
Please Iamjooish, if you're so well informed about "most" freetime projects, show me a gliMpse of what you have accomplished for EQEMU and then perhaps your comment will matter.

fyi, I'd be the best damn useless guy the PEQ-TGC server ever had if i could just break the damn compatibility barrier. my version of EQ is from april 24th or so...

Last edited by iamjooish; 11-28-2005 at 07:14 AM..
Old 11-28-2005, 01:33 AM
Memener
Dragon

Do you see anything wrong in this screen:
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3326/wtfiypm7qy.jpg
Here's a hint look in the red box.

Now tell me again why you said that.
BTW there is an edit button.
also Remeber that these people that host publc server are doing it on there free-time.
I host a LAN server that stays up 24/7 that has 1-30 people on it at anytime. Do you now when the last time i updated it is? well over a year ago. You know why? Its because I have other thing that i have to do. ie: work, kids, wife, home, car and more...
If you payed me $12.00/h for 8 hours, 5 days a week. I will run your server keep it updated for you.

If you think it is so easy where is your server?
rofl kinda of funny..
I bet you wont come in to the irc chat room and talk like you are now..
If you have anything more to say come in to irc. rich(Lexen), me and all of the devs and coders are there. Anything else you say will just be a waste of time.

Thanks to Imageshack.us for free image hosting!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:47 AM
mattmeck

<cough> Hi, man I hate people who just wont stop. Nuff is enough
Closed Thread