Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Tools

Development::Tools 3rd Party Tools for EQEMu (DB management tools, front ends, etc...)

Old 12-10-2007, 07:32 AM
soulshot
Hill Giant

Default Spell editor suggestions

I would like to be able to do the following with a spell editor :

-Really just a nice easy to use filter system for finding and editing entire spell lines per class.

-I'm not completely sure how it is currently set up but what if I want clerics to have a 10 percent decreased casting time and mana cost for healing and buff spells.

-Be able to search and sort spells by class and type of spell. (beneficial, detrimental, etc.)

-Increase or decrease mana cost, damage, duration by "class". (just an expanded wish of #2)
Old 12-10-2007, 04:26 PM
BrainiacVince
Fire Beetle

AndMetal, you win one internet for providing convenient links, as well as for your work.

Soulshot, this will be easy to implement by executing SQL statements. However, this brings up a valid point that I (nor most people) actually have any idea what marks a spell as "beneficial" vs "detrimental" or what classes it is available for, etc. Having a few pre-set statements, as well as guidance in forming your own, will be amazingly useful. A special tab for SQL sounds like the optimal way of doing this so far, depending on how the GUI is actually implemented. Great suggestion.

Speaking of the GUI, any opinions on layout? Granted, all of the stuff I want to do has to be run by the professor (at least for the duration of the class), but I'm pretty sure he will approve.

Keep the suggestions coming, guys.

Last edited by BrainiacVince; 12-11-2007 at 12:30 AM..
Old 01-07-2008, 01:58 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

i realy like the spell editor writen by some german guy - you can find it around
i belive its prety much the only one besides openspell (i think)

if only its bugs could be fixed- it woudl be great - couse otherwise its very very easy to use
Old 01-07-2008, 05:09 PM
BrainiacVince
Fire Beetle

I know which one you're talking about, and I liked it too. The odd thing, every bit of it was in English, except the Windows error messages it popped up. I found it comical to see the German equivalent of "Memory Segment Fault at address 0x320808234". Good times, good times. Honestly, mine probably won't be much different visually from either of the existing ones (heck, they aren't that much different from each other), just more complete in functionality.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:56 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Oh, that would be very nice to have =)
yes they are simular with OpenSpell, but OpenSpell is kind of all piled togther, while the "german" one is nicely broken into sub section, with icons preview and all.
If it wasn't for ocasinal corrupted save bug, and unability to properly change/save spell animation and descriotion- it would be all one would need.

But I am looking forward to your new spell editor =)
Old 01-15-2008, 03:37 AM
BrainiacVince
Fire Beetle

Week 1, Update 1:
My class is every Monday so I will be posting updates either Monday evening or Tuesday sometime.

I am going back to my original plan of using Java to implement this. The AJAX idea is for a separate project the professor had in mind.
This week, I'm going to be working on the GUI layout, which is due next week. This is your last chance to suggest major GUI features that you'd like. Some changes can be made later, but I don't want to have to reinvent this project every other week.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:11 AM
TheLieka
Developer

I don't know how easy or hard this would be for you, but it would be nice to be able to query and update spells in batch.

For instance, if we notice that fear is landing way too easily, we could update the Resist Level (if you could update it with a calculation rather than a value replacement - for instance +10, rather than setting them all to the same value - that would absolutely rock too) on all spells that contain effectid 34 (or maybe hard code the effect name for each value.

The main thing that most of these spell editors lack is the ability to query the spells and update in batch.

Also, ensure that it's possible to edit the spell effect fields, that's something that OpenSpell doesn't allow you to do very easily, so I find myself using excel for this (which is quite messy).

Also, if it helps, I have broken my spell file into an excel spreadsheet and labeled the columns by how the source reads them. I'll post a link to it if it'll help you (or anyone else).

Dax

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)