Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Telltolin
Sarnak

Default My server and router woes (Netgear RP614v3)

I want to make my server public, but my router does not share the same desire. I've forwarded the proper ports as dictated in IRC and on PortForward.com. (1024, 6000 and 7000, correct?) But people still cannot join. It shows up in the server list, but people get disconnected after making a character, I believe.

What suggestions can be bestowed upon the Telltolin? If you can't advise and fixes for my current setup, perhaps I could get directed towards the best router to buy in a situation such as this.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:57 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telltolin View Post
I want to make my server public, but my router does not share the same desire. I've forwarded the proper ports as dictated in IRC and on PortForward.com. (1024, 6000 and 7000, correct?) But people still cannot join. It shows up in the server list, but people get disconnected after making a character, I believe.

What suggestions can be bestowed upon the Telltolin? If you can't advise and fixes for my current setup, perhaps I could get directed towards the best router to buy in a situation such as this.
Those ports are wrong. You want to enable port ranges of 3306, 5998, 9000, and 7000-7100.

You may not need all of those ports for it to work, but if you have all of those open, it will work for sure.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:36 AM
mattmeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Those ports are wrong. You want to enable port ranges of 3306, 5998, 9000, and 7000-7100.

You may not need all of those ports for it to work, but if you have all of those open, it will work for sure.
9000 and the ports used for zones, thats it to work.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Telltolin
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post

I opened all of these ports, and it would appear people are still unable to connect. It's up right now, give it a try if you like. The name is "Telltolin's House of Cock"
Old 03-24-2008, 05:10 PM
TheLieka
Developer

Make sure that you're forwarding TCP and UDP.

Dax

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 03-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Telltolin
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLieka View Post
Make sure that you're forwarding TCP and UDP.

Dax
My router gives no such options. It is a very horrible router, you see.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:30 AM
trevius
Developer

Well, you have 2 options;

1. Connect your modem directly to your PC and take the router out of the picture to see if it works with a direct connection.

2. If that isn't an option (router built into the modem), then try setting your server PC as a DMZ in your router. That will open all ports directly to it. It is not recommended to keep that setting, because it is risky for security. But, if it works as a DMZ, it just needs the ports forwarded properly in the router settings.

Make sure you are doing "port range forwarding" and not just "port forwarding". Even though they sound like the same thing, they are not the same thing. Port range forwarding forwards a range of ports directly to an IP address you specify on your LAN. Port forwarding forwards one port to another port to a destination LAN address. So, port forwarding might change all traffic destined for port 5000 to another port of 6000 and send it to your destination address. When I upgraded my router BIOS I had both port and port range forwarding. I mistakenly set the wrong one first and it didn't work at all. Changed it to port range forwarding and worked perfectly.