Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Semedaien
Sarnak

yeah... i already spoke with daxum about getting any files or anything off of him, even if I were to pay... but the amount he wanted was unbelievable... but i can understand that the time and devotion of him and his dev team pays off :P

My friends and I are working on a client that is to be used for my server only. The only way to connect to my server would be through that client, which scans for all third-party programs and closes out any that I have listed. It also only allows 1 instance of it to be used per computer. So if anyone wanted to box they would need a few computers just like the olden days.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:09 AM
eq4me
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semedaien View Post
yeah... i already spoke with daxum about getting any files or anything off of him, even if I were to pay... but the amount he wanted was unbelievable... but i can understand that the time and devotion of him and his dev team pays off :P
Feeding of an open project and not contributing back ... what an asshole. Now ban me, I no longer care.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:40 AM
So_1337
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq4me View Post
Feeding of an open project and not contributing back ... what an asshole. Now ban me, I no longer care.
To be fair, Daxum seems to have done a fair share of contribution already, which is more than most people can claim:

The zone XP modifier now properly adds to XP gain.
Ogres are now properly immune to frontal stuns.
NPCs now regenerate out of combat.
Invis is now broken when looting corpses.

I can understand someone wanting to keep some code to themselves. The contributions he's made to the project are things that are actually part of the original game. It seems that the ones he's keeping to himself are custom ones that keep his server populated, thus giving him a proper environment to test future developments. It's in his self interest to keep them to himself, and to damn him for looking out for himself is asinine.

Call me Ayn Rand on this one (and I'll embrace it proudly), but why should anyone be entitled to his work simply because it's good stuff and they want it? He'll contribute whatever he damn well pleases, and we'll be thankful for every bit of it. He doesn't owe anyone anything.

Done ranting now. Just had to stick up for someone that I've seen contribute some nice additions to the code.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

You are both right in some ways - I just spent the morning trying to think of a nice way to tell you all I don't like selling what should be open source, but Eq4ME blurted it out.
We got Devs working their ass off for us - to name a few, WildcardX, Cavedude, KLS. Not to mention all the forum people currently working to help the Devs out.
I don't think they (Devs) ever tried to sell anything EqEmu related - Personally, any money I've had available for EQEMU, it's went to it via donations. PEQ Server is the biggest one on the block, and is openly available (Database) for anyone who wants it.
After all the work so many people has put in to this project over the years, I would feel ashamed to try and sell any part of it.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:11 AM
TheLieka
Developer

I've got a server that's running with development contributions from a lot of people other than myself. I didn't put up an ebay auction and try to sell my source and database; you came to me and asked how much it would cost for me to sell you my hobby. So don't bring this shit to these boards and try to make me sound like a douche bag.

I prefer facts to interpretations, here's the PM that was sent to me on our forums:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxum
I spent about 1000 hours getting the database to the point that it is now. I've never thought about selling it before, but if you're interested, I'd cut a copy for $1000 (like I said... if you're interested). I'd also want to clear that with some of my devs that have helped put in time above and beyond my own.

As far as having time to help you sort out your database, there's not a lot I can do right now (as I've got extremely limited time for these projects for the foreseeable future), and it sounds like you're just trying to rebuild what we've already built.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll have the conversation with our other devs.

Thanks,
Dax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deception
Daxum I have a question and I really would appreciate any help/answers you may give.

I am willing to pay, but is there anyway I can get some tips or advice on how to create my spell merchants and get rid of all the annoying npc's...

Im using PEQ's latest db, but editting a lot of it. I'm trying to make a server just like your's but PVE. Is there anyway I can get some peices of your db? Or any of it? If you can contribute, I will either A.) Use your server name in the login and make it PVE. B.) Use your server's name in the MOTD for thanks and appreciation. or C.) The above with a donation of USD $. Pending on what you are willing to do. I understand if you laugh your ass off at this message. You dont know me, nor would you care to be bothered by me. But I am trying to host a Classic pre-kunark progression server, PVE.
Believe me, when my server shuts down (I hope that I'm dead first), I'll post all of our source, and database here. If there's something specific about my server that someone is interested in, then I'm always willing to help out. No one has asked me for my hack detector source yet, so making uninformed accusations about what I would or wouldn't be willing to release is just flame-bait.

And no, I'm not really interested in handing out my full database to everyone that asks for it (and there have been a lot of people ask us for it). That doesn't mean that I'm an asshole, and it doesn't mean that I'm closing myself off like ProjectEQ. If I was interested in making money (or even compensating for my effort), I wouldn't refuse donations from our population, but I've never accepted (let alone requested) a penny from anyone. However, if someone comes to me and asks me to put a pricetag on it, it doesn't really make sense to come back and call me an asshole for humoring the offer (and no, I didn't expect him to actually do it). I'm willing to help, but before you start calling me out, what have you done for the project other than ask for someone else to put all of the sweat into it for you, so you can clone their work?

Dax

P.S. None of this is directed at Ax, obviously.

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)

Last edited by TheLieka; 03-24-2008 at 06:16 PM..
Old 03-24-2008, 12:17 PM
TheLieka
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLieka View Post
it doesn't mean that I'm closing myself off like ProjectEQ
This was a typo, I meant to say:

It doesn't mean that I'm closing myself off like EQClassic.org. My bad, I've got no bad blood with PEQ.

Dax

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 03-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Ueguvil
Hill Giant

Lol

You were actually expecting Daxum to give you his database for anything less than a small fortune? It's one of the most polished databases out there, and it's what makes his server rank among the top. Do your own database grunt work.

What you should have been asking about is the hack detector.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:13 PM
JLB2414
Fire Beetle

I don't see where Semedaien called Daxum out. Yet, I do see him saying that he understands where Daxum is coming from in not wanting to hand out the db due to the sole amount of work Daxum and his team have invested in building a great server.

Also Ueguvil, Semedaien may be new at what he's doing, but he has put a lot of time into attempting to learn how to polish up his db, from the time I was able to participate in testing what he had been working anywho.

Anyways, hopefully Semedaien will be able to work out his kinks with anti-hack detection, limiting the number of accounts able to connect from a signle IP, and the what not. It's always nice to have the option to enjoy the old world from a PVP persepective or a PVE perspective depending on what the player wants to invest their time in. So I atleast think it is noble that he is trying to provide that experience for user's who wish to do so.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:50 PM
TheLieka
Developer

After reading page 2 of this thread, I definitely felt like I was getting attacked. Though Semedaien didn't come at me directly, his post did come across as an invitation to feel sorry for him and implicate evil Daxum for stealing from the project, and drilling oil wells in the Alaskan wildlife reserve (with a drill fashioned from baby seal bones). Of course, EQ4Me was the first to bite on that low-hanging fruit, so I felt obligated to inform him that the fruit, is in fact, smeared with bovine feces. And as such, it would be ill-advised to eat any more of it.

If I misinterpreted this situation, then I withdraw my confused rage and will go back to my hole.

Dax

Old 03-24-2008, 05:07 PM
TheLieka
Developer

Oh and one suggestion with this whole "Progression Server" idea. I know where you're going with it (we tried it too), but players will (without a doubt) chew through your content, before you'll have a chance to get the next expansion ready (unless you give them a miserably long grind for xp - in which case you need earplugs and an umbrella (ella-ella-ella) for all the sweet, sweet baby tears). If do you intend to do this, I hope you're happy with your database before you launch, or else have thirty or so 24/7 plat farmers that are constantly working on and refining your database. I guess it all comes down to the level of detail that you want in your zones, but if you are trying to roll everything back to old world, it takes a lot of dev time.... a lot.

Even with all the shit that we've done, we're still a long... looooong way from having kunark ready.

Dax

Old 03-24-2008, 06:53 PM
TheLieka
Developer

P.S. http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/sho...270#post145270

Happy Zombie Jesus Day.

Dax

Old 03-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Xafur
Fire Beetle

Hello all.... just recently got a laptop and internet access back, and was looking for a server just like this one.... was an original EQ player from 99 to 07, ended up playing on progression, then I left for boot camp and when I got out... progression was ruined : ( Just thought i'd say i'm looking forward to this server.... downloading EQ titanium right now, been downloading it for like 3 days now :| wtb titanium discs :|

Can't wait for the server to open up.... look forward to seeing you all there
Old 03-25-2008, 05:59 AM
Semedaien
Sarnak

first of all i didnt post anything for people to get into an argument, and i definantly didnt want the whole db. I asked if I could have pits and peices and i offered to pay. Again i understand why he doesnt want to give out certain peices and im completely fine with that. When mine goes up i will be posting various codes and queries that my devs and I created. If anyone does support me and either offers to sell or give any information to me from their server(s), then I will ask whether they want it to be posted or not. Again I will be contributing a lot of my stuff out for the PEQ db. For instance, I'm re-doing peq's coin drop as we speak... about 25% done so far.

Hope everyone reads this and understands it, sorry if i pissed anyone off, really didnt mean to, and I wasnt sure if i should've posted my private msg with daxum on here, sorry dax.

Oh and thank you for the link to the IP Fix, very much appreciated!

Last edited by Semedaien; 03-25-2008 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: ty
Old 04-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Zebasik76
Fire Beetle

I was just wondering how close this was to completion. Im new ehre and this is exactly what im looking for, keep up the hard work.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:02 PM
ZombieDraxx
Fire Beetle

Seriously, you have the code you need now right?

Well then get the freakin server up already I want to play!!!!