Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:37 PM
circuitdragon
Sarnak

Default Westell 6100

Anyone know a good place to get a hold of some literature on this puppy? As it stands, for now, its rather like trying to host my server through 2 NATs, and its beyond "hair pulling". What I would like to know is if its at all possible to disable the DHCP on the DSL modem, and instead push my internet IP straight to my router. But I am no where near familiar with the menu setups on the modem, and obviously Verizon is to cheap to supply any form of user manuals with them, lol. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:35 PM
rojadruid
Discordant

Yes, you should be able to put the modem it self into what is called bridge mode and then just use the router for DHCP.

Innoruuk Server [legit]
Server Admin.
Server Status: UP
Old 04-14-2008, 08:00 PM
trevius
Developer

DHCP doesn't work the way you are talking about it. You cannot "push" the ISP provided IP through to your router if the modem has a router built into it. However, you can disable DHCP on the modem/router (if it is allowed) and assign a static IP for your router. Then you simply need to setup port range forwarding on both devices. The modem/router will be set to forward all traffic for ports 9000 and 7000 - 7100 to the static IP address you set for your router. Then the router will be set to foward those same ports onto your server PC. A little sloppy to say the least, but it should work just fine.

Also, this isn't a support forum, so you probably won't get many replies here lol. Good luck with getting that setup to work properly.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:00 PM
rojadruid
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
DHCP doesn't work the way you are talking about it. You cannot "push" the ISP provided IP through to your router if the modem has a router built into it. However, you can disable DHCP on the modem/router (if it is allowed) and assign a static IP for your router. Then you simply need to setup port range forwarding on both devices. The modem/router will be set to forward all traffic for ports 9000 and 7000 - 7100 to the static IP address you set for your router. Then the router will be set to foward those same ports onto your server PC. A little sloppy to say the least, but it should work just fine.

Also, this isn't a support forum, so you probably won't get many replies here lol. Good luck with getting that setup to work properly.
If you read this document the original poster will fine the information on what I am talking about. But yes dsl modem/routers like this one have a bridge mode. This basicaly turnd the thing into a modem only and disables the router. You then have to configure your router for a dsl connection.

Innoruuk Server [legit]
Server Admin.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:03 PM
circuitdragon
Sarnak

lol, its all setup guys, thanks for that info, but thats done. Sloppy as stated, YES, but works. I'm just not happy with it, and I've no manual on this modem. I'm after that support, not eqemu support on this...lol And yes, my goal for this would be to disable the modem to act as a 1 port (1 connection) router, to passing the ISP IP straight to my real router. Anyhow, that should be in some literature for this damnable black box provided by VeriSuck... ah well though, if theres no info, theres just no info...setup works, just a pain in my ass is all. I could always just get off DHCP and get a true static net IP...one of these days....one of these days...
Old 04-14-2008, 11:41 PM
mattmeck

a simple google for "Westell 6100" brings up a wealth of info including the user manual.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
rojadruid
Discordant

Lol, just looked over my last post here and realozied that I forgot the link that I was refering to. here it is for you. with instructions on how to set the modem into bridge mode.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/203794/W...100-Tech-Sheet

Innoruuk Server [legit]
Server Admin.