Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:43 AM
Semedaien
Sarnak

Default Preventing 3+Boxing (same ip)

I have posted this twice and all I have gotten back was you can do this via router. I understand I can do it through my router but can anyone give me any further information on how, or instructions? I would greatly appreciate this, and I hope this isn't counted as spam (no intentions in doing so).

Thank you.

Nick
-Server OP-
Sleeper's EQClassic Progression Server
Website
Forums
When life hands you a river, build a bridge over it.
Don't Judge a Book by its Cover.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:46 AM
So_1337
Dragon

The problem is, it depends if your router has the capability. If it does, you're just going to have to figure it out. Routers are so varied and so different that it's hard to spell out instructions.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:59 AM
Bishop4351
Sarnak

Just out of curiosity why do you care if some one three boxes?

I could think of a few ways to do it with perl and iptables but it wouldn't be easy and could just as easily block out a network where people have more than 3 players from one NATed address.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:32 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

[QUOTE=Bishop4351;144930]Just out of curiosity why do you care if some one three boxes?

on servers where raid encounters specialy configured for 1 group - admins do not want people who 5-box or some times 10-box to 24/7 farm them while normal players don't have any chance to make a normal group and atempt the encounter
Old 03-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Semedaien
Sarnak

Quote:
Just out of curiosity why do you care if some one three boxes?
Making a server just like classic, progression, and I want people to group with each other. I dont want 4 man guilds taking down big bosses :P
Old 03-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

It's not as easy as as limiting 1 ip per client - what if there where two people legit playing from a Lan? I know many people that play like that (Example:mother&son, brothers, my daughter and I).
I have also two boxed, and played with a hack called "Xylobot" (ceased working with later patches of EQ). I did this on SOE EQ. I can tell you anyone who 2-3 boxes off a few PC's (or windowed) with NO MQ2 or whatever help, is under great stress! it really doesn't change the game much, and if they want to do that, so be it. What you really need to worry about (and so does anyone else that wants to make some sort of game out of this), is the MQ users and other hacks - anyone who uses this on your server has access to a lot of things they aren't supposed to. If you research some on these forums, you might find some possible solutions.
I think I would run my server from behind a firewall, so I could IP ban anyone I caught cheating. You can do this with Linux, not sure about Windows. How would you catch them? I guess by watching them and luring them into preset traps on your server (do research).
EDIT:
The best you can do with good results (without any hacks such as MQ2) is two box, so you would not have much control guild-wise.

Last edited by Angelox; 03-19-2008 at 09:26 PM..
Old 03-20-2008, 04:27 AM
Semedaien
Sarnak

I dont understand why people have to use mq... they are dumb, lazy, low lifes that can't play the game the way it was made. I have asked daxum for various help and db suggestions (even for bits and peices of his db) but u know how that turned out :P ... But I can understand...

I just wish there was a way i could limit up to 2ips and detect mq easy. ;\ This is gonna suck when I host =\
Old 04-18-2008, 12:46 PM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semedaien
I just wish there was a way i could limit up to 2ips and detect mq easy. ;\ This is gonna suck when I host =\
Welcome to the club
Old 04-18-2008, 05:18 PM
erik_llewellyn
Sarnak

Knowledge and hot keys can turn anyone into an expert reguardless of gear.

While you are totally right about the stress of multi-boxing Angelox, I personally ran 3 characters (comp A 2 boxes and comp B with the 3rd) for over three years on eq live with just simply making good hot keys, knowing my classes (cleric, mage, enchanter) inside and out, and learning incounters well enough. I was never in a raiding guild or even Tier2+ PoP flagged, but I could still take down all the mobs required to do the cleric 1.0 epic (and yes that includes the sarnak king), kill the Fabled Fungus King in old seb, and drop Grieg with just my 3. Stress during events like that was insane, and those that saw me do it in person never thought such a thing was possible at the time with my gear and limited spell repitoir since I didn't raid, but it can be done.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Asphixiate
Sarnak

Is this what are you talking about? http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24730

I just implemented and tested it on my server and it worked well.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:20 PM
TonyAtma
Fire Beetle

Personally i like Multi boxing(I don't use mq cause i have neither the patience to look it up or the desire to get baned just cause i'm to lazy to alt tab to cas a spell.) It makes it easier to grind AA's and if your friends need a certain kind of character than you might have it on hand..

Keeping people from doing big bosses.. I can honestly say that a well tuned mob that's meant for a 6man well geared group could never be taken down by a 6 boxer without some sort of bot. It takes timing and team work on all and pretty much constant healing.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:23 PM
xxarthurxx
Hill Giant

this post and server is way dead :/
Old 05-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Kayot
Discordant

I MQ2, I admit it. Nothing like a 3 box where group members don't run at the first sign of danger, the cleric is always available for rezes, and no one bitches if there is an overpull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semedaien
I dont understand why people have to use mq... they are dumb, lazy, low lifes that can't play the game the way it was made.
I quit EQ because I hated large scale grouping, I quit EQemu because I couldn't stand groups that broke at the first sign of trouble, or where never available at the same time as me and hence leveled way over me.

As for intelligence, if your so smart why don't I see you doing the coding to implementing anti-box code? MQ2 scripts are border line C++ syntax. Thats why MQ2 is so powerful. Also, boxing is far from lazy. Try keeping a boxed group full on supplies, it sounds easy (I thought it would be anyway) but is a real pain in the butt. If you ask me, boxing has given me a true game. No rolling on loot (And the person who rolls against you wants it for an alt while your current character can use it), no group wait times, and knowing your group potential at all times. I can look at all the screens and know how I am REALLY doing. No lies about low mana. No deception about taunting etc. If my group dies I Know where all the bodies are as I die as a group. I also have complete say on where to go. If I want to hit kithicor for moonlight essence, gfay for morning dew, and then hit felwithe for smithing supplies, I DO IT.

To Semedaien; Try using MQ2 before bashing it. If your as good as you think you are you'll have a blast.

God doesn't give second chances... Hell, he sets you up the first time.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:15 PM
xxarthurxx
Hill Giant

im sorry but boxing with mq2 is the ez way to do it... try running all 3 of those characters yourself... i sometimes 7 box using 2 computers and i dont have to use 3rd party software to do it, amateur.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Kayot
Discordant

You don't know how to use MQ2, admit it.

God doesn't give second chances... Hell, he sets you up the first time.