Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Throttle
Fire Beetle

To clarify, I'm not dissatisfied that he needs to bring the server down to fix something; I'm questioning the prospect of doing it for an extended period of time without telling the players anything until they come here and ask. That is extremely inconsiderate, and it appears to be a trend in Jenco. It's usually acceptable because it's not that huge a deal, even if it's a bit of a nuisance that you log in one day to see your spells wiped and your char placed in a tutorial zone which then takes an hour to fix so you can leave and another couple of hours before the spell merchants are actually loaded, to pose a similar example. This is different, though - if noone had come on here and asked, I would have thought that Jenco had pulled the plug on the server. When you're administering a server of any kind that has a userbase, you're expected to let those users know if you're bringing the server out of service for any significant length of time. Especially since Jenco has a previous case of GMing a server and just one day vanishing, as seems to be the case according to reports from players of that server.

We all appreciate the work that Jenco puts in, and I have very few complaints about him as a GM, but I wish he wouldn't leave us in the dark like this. I hope that next time he makes some major change, he warns the players a day or two in advance so that they're not caught by unpleasant surprise too often. I don't currently play, but I intend to return at some point so I follow the server's status. It should make no difference whether or not I am currently active, and I believe my point goes for any player on Jenco's server. It would have been completely unacceptable if we had been paying customers, and even though we aren't, I think that anything which doesn't go with paying customers is something you should do your best not to do in any case. If he wants to keep a playerbase, that is.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Sicpric
Fire Beetle

Jenco has, by far, the most original EQ server in all of EQ EMU. If he would bring at least bring the website backup so we, as players, can communicate and discuss issues rather than inquire the status of our server on these forums.
And i know the server is free but I'd gladly donate the Jenco to help him out with his cause, because nothing beats classic EQ
Old 05-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Manix25
Sarnak

Oh,Im pretty sure the server is done.My advise to everyone is to find another,I dont think youll be seeing CKV back up.Was anyone even experiencing any lag?I wasnt.
Thanks for the time,and the server was a fun experience,I just dont think,with the way this whole situation has been handled from start till now,that well see it again.
Thanks for the fun groupage Drox,Teershek, and especially Majortom,fun old times groups.Look for Kenian fighting the good fight on another server all./wave
Old 05-30-2008, 06:54 PM
warhawk
Sarnak

Its a shame this server seems to have died. Was having fun times here.

this quote from another thread seems to ring true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garath View Post
Forgive me for being blunt about this. I have no interest in trashing your work as I like classic EQ quite a bit - but I do have a question I'd like to see answered and I think it's only fair for everyone else you're trying to get to play on your server if I do it in public:

What makes this Classic EQ Trilogy Server different from the one you ran back in fall of last year, jenco? What makes me want to take you at your word that you are going to stick around this time and not disappear into limbo without even telling your GMs about it like last time?

Those are questions I'd like answered before I spend time leveling a classic char on your server... again.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Throttle
Fire Beetle

If the player of Mouya reads this, would you send me a PM or mail me at throttlesays@hotmail.com?
Old 05-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Throttle
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Its a shame this server seems to have died. Was having fun times here.
It's a damn shame. It was starting to become a really good server, and it seemed like Jenco truly liked working on it. Maybe he worked too hard and ran out of steam.

Considering that Jenco was normally very good at keeping us updated along the way when he was working on something, that noone seems to have actually lagged prior to him bringing the server down to fix our supposed lag issues, and that it has been down since Tuesday (I believe), I'm afraid that this does indeed look like the end of CKV_EQ. I hope that's not the case, maybe he has been too busy or caught up in other RL things, but this is just so different from the usual downtimes.

If we're wrong, I ask that Jenco post here as soon as possible. I for one don't mind the server being down for a week or more if that's what it takes, as long as we're not left to guess and speculate about its future.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:34 PM
swank nightmare
Fire Beetle

I'm not ready to say it's down for good, I work a strange schedule and am home during the daytime and I periodically check in on the server. Everyday I've seen the server up but locked, including this morning, which means Jenco's at least still working on it.

I hope for the sake of the very solid player base that was being built that Jenco replies to this thread or brings back up the boards, cause he had by far the best emu I've ever played on.

I know our enjoyment is directly based on his hard work, and because of that I refuse to be overly critical of the man, I just hope he can find the time to throw us a bone and let us know what's going on.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Xzerion19
Fire Beetle

I do recall getting pretty heavy lag the last day the server was up. So I am glad it is being addressed. Give Jenco a little bit of time. He posted here two days ago saying it would be a few days...people arent even waiting 2 full days after he posted that to start saying the server is done.

Now on a personal note I understand this is Jenco's server and it will be done his way and all, but the lack of communication around this and a few other things puzzles me. If someone puts up a public server I would imagine they would want people to play on it and keep playing on it and the way this is being handled in my opinion kind of shows disregard for the playerbase, with the server and forums being pulled with no notice untill someone asked here. Not bitching, just expressing my thought.

Someone else said something similar to this has happened before? I would appreciate knowing some details on that if possible.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:35 AM
malaldil
Fire Beetle

Default Throttle, you're out of bounds

Jenco is not offering you or anyone else a "service" by hosting a server, he is allowing you the priviledge of playing on *his*.
Build, code, and maintain your own EQemu server if you are that hard up to play.
I find it ridiculous to criticize someone who spends his own time and money to give you and anyone else a free server.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:06 AM
Rathora
Fire Beetle

CKV is by far the best EQ Classic server on here. I won't give up on it as an ex-gm (Twice) but hell, wanting the server up is all I am hearing from you people... not counting the ones who were not complaining. Jenco works hard on the server, and works hard to have it up for the community to play on. Anyone who thinks they have a right to play on it whenever they want to is wrong... I don't know about anyone else but I am disappointed at the people thinking CKV won't come up, or think they have a god given right to play there at any time benefiting them. Not trying to start a huge drama fight here, so please do not think I am.

You can also look me up as Rashengone in game.
Also, great job on the server thus far Jen, it truly is a wonderful site to see!

Oh and Xzerion yes it did happen before. Someone named Nick (Player Avatar) hosted the server, only had it up for a few days though before I got it explained to me that Jenco was taking it over. I was a GM at that time as well for those wondering what I mean by Ex-gm (twice)
Old 06-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Throttle
Fire Beetle

Well, it's been fun. I'm out, whether or not he actually does bring the server back up at some point. Don't hold your breath.

Tershek
Old 06-01-2008, 07:27 AM
aendain
Fire Beetle

Let me know if you fellows find another good server. PM or just reply here.

I still find it tough to believe that he would put so much work into something just to scrap it, so I'm holding onto some hope.

For all you who have no business on this thread that decide to tell us how we should be acting... use your imagination.

Majortom
Old 06-01-2008, 12:51 PM
alldead
Fire Beetle

i'm extremely bummed to see the server vanish. think Jenco would give up the code for someone else to host a server? i know it's a lot of work to just hand over, but a lot of work not being used is worse.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:15 PM
sdtuasrt, MD
Fire Beetle

This is Mouya's player. I still have the source that Jenco mailed me a few days before I quit in disgust.

I do not have the database, however.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Throttle
Fire Beetle

Anyone got Jenco's email or aim or something? I belive Tantalar was interested in running a server, so maybe we can salvage what's needed.
Closed Thread