Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Zoena1
Fire Beetle

Default New Mac Laptop, No EQ =(

I recently got a new Macbook Pro Laptop for school. I already know Mac doesn't support EQ, but I know that there is a program called BootCamp, which in other words runs XP on a Mac. I was wondering if anyone is playing from a Mac and how does EQ run on it? My biggest problem is, is that I had to get an old edition of BootCamp because I am on Mac Tiger and not Leopard. Will EQ run differently then the regular PC XP or will it run the same on my Mac? Do I need a Windows XP Disc and Serial Code to run it? and lastly Do I need to do any updates (i.e Video Cards ect...) or registration to make sure it runs flawlessly?

Also, If I do need XP Disc and Serial Code, where is the cheapest place to get it?

If there is anyone out there who can help PLEASE let me know.

Thank You in advance
Old 09-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Kagatob
Sarnak

Macintosh is a horrible computing platform that only has as much popularity as it does because of gullible yuppies who buy into the commercials and think being 'appled' will make them part of the 'in crowd', what were you thinking when you purchased one of those overly expensive paper weights?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Zoena1
Fire Beetle

They are great for school and business...not for EQ. I pay all this money to have a powerful computer but it isn't compatible with EQ which sucks. So if there is ANYONE out there who has a solution instead of a comment that would be great.

Thanks Again.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:40 PM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagatob View Post
Macintosh is a horrible computing platform that only has as much popularity as it does because of gullible yuppies who buy into the commercials and think being 'appled' will make them part of the 'in crowd', what were you thinking when you purchased one of those overly expensive paper weights?
No bashing of any type is allowed on these forums. That includes Operating Systems, Computer types/parts, other members, etc.

I am not sure if your post was in jest or not, but either way it isn't allowed, so please try to refrain.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Zoena1
Fire Beetle

Haha. Yes, that is awesome. I am now a yuppie because my parents bought me a new computer for college =D. Kagatobe u a reeeeaaal funny dude. PSYCH!
Old 09-16-2008, 12:06 AM
MNWatchdog
Hill Giant

I would suggest you check out Mac forums that talk about the Bootcamp software for how compatible it is.

Since Macs are basicly PCs with a custom boot ROM, Im guessing that once you get Bootcamp going EQ should run fairly well.

You for sure would need both a Bootcamp and Windows license to legally run Windows on your Mac, but Im not the morality police.

For furture refence, someone has hacked the latest Mac OS to load on a normal PC and I assume notebooks, saving you about 50% off the equivalent Mac. You would of course have to buy a legal copy of Mac OS to be semi-legal.

Im sure Apple doesnt approve, but doubt they have a legal leg to stand on, but since Apple has a fulltime legal force, it costs them nothing to prevent companies from doing this for the general public, but certainly not worth chasing a single person down.

But I digress.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:42 AM
Zoena1
Fire Beetle

Lol. Sounds good. Ill take a further look into the Mac Forums.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:13 AM
cubber
Discordant

You could always try to run Windows XP in Parrallels. It is supposed to support DirectX games. It is pretty much mac's equivalent of vmware. Also I know the people that make cedega for linux also make a similar product for mac called cider. May wanna check that out. I have used cedega on Linux with some luck but Wine seems to be getting better all the time.

Cider link = http://www.transgaming.com/products/cider/

Parrallels = http://www.parallels.com/

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:02 PM
unknownhost
Sarnak

i hate to say it, but if i owned a mac i'd probably check out the EQmac live server there. im guessing you can still dl/buy the client from sony because im fairly sure the servers still alive and kicking and permastopped at PoP or so?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Zoena1
Fire Beetle

But to play Emu servers need Titanium. Unless they sell Titanium for Mac gotta try some stuff with the Cedega or Parells. Ill look into it. Thank You again.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:53 AM
ndnet
Hill Giant

I've got a Macbook Pro (can't pass up a free lappy from the office).

I'm in the process of trying Parallels with EQTitanium installed, but initial performance in EQ was pretty dismal. The textures were mostly missing (white models and environment) and when I was able to get into the world it was running under 5 fps.

I'll try to tweak it and see if there are any ways to increase performance of it; I'd like this set up so I can do coding and debugging of the server on it.

I'll post here if I have any luck with certain settings.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:02 AM
erde
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnet View Post
I've got a Macbook Pro (can't pass up a free lappy from the office).

I'm in the process of trying Parallels with EQTitanium installed, but initial performance in EQ was pretty dismal. The textures were mostly missing (white models and environment) and when I was able to get into the world it was running under 5 fps.

I'll try to tweak it and see if there are any ways to increase performance of it; I'd like this set up so I can do coding and debugging of the server on it.

I'll post here if I have any luck with certain settings.
I play EQ-Live and EQ-Titanium without performance Problems on my Macbook CoreDuo
Old 09-18-2008, 11:13 AM
wysh
Fire Beetle

I've explored this realm many, many times. Here is the run down:

EverQuest Titanium edition will NOT work with:

Cider
Darwine
Parallels
VMWare
VirtualBox
CrossOver

It MAY work with:

CrossOver Games (there is a tutorial on the Project EQ forums which I would link, but they are down right now)

It WILL work swimmingly with:

A Boot Camp partition running XP or Vista.

PM me if you need help with something.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:44 AM
wysh
Fire Beetle

Slight correction:

Just after I typed that, I got it to run in Parallels. Models won't show, but technically it runs fine.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Zoena1
Fire Beetle

Ok, is there a free trial for Parallels? And do u need a copy of Windows XP and Serial number to run EQemu with Parallels?

I tried CrossOver Games yesterday for almost 2 hrs. but the big problem is that you can't Right Click--Preferences--Change Target name to the patchme. Unless any1 knows a way to do that on Mac the only solution I have heard is Parallels.

Thanks again everyone.