Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:46 AM
drakheim
Banned

about 7 hours now. obviously mommy made timmy turn off his computer or something.

One less- i'm going to just pay for live again. Enjoy server crashes 5 times in a day and only logging in 4 days out of the week.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:47 AM
man101
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakheim View Post
about 7 hours now. obviously mommy made timmy turn off his computer or something.

One less- i'm going to just pay for live again. Enjoy server crashes 5 times in a day and only logging in 4 days out of the week.

Unfortunatly i am almost to the same point as him
Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakheim View Post

LOL, why even bother posting if you plan to leave for good and not look back? Especially when it sounds like you think the LS is hosted in someone's basement, which shows you haven't really taken any time to read any of the current news on the LS issues and what is in the process of being done about it.

If you like Live and don't mind paying, then by all means, feel free. If you want a free, live-like or custom EQ experience, then give it a few days and it should be at about the same uptime that Live currently has :P

Either way, there is no use for posts like this and if we keep seeing them, people will start getting banned for it. I am not talking about posts complaining about the LS or asking about it, only ones that sound like a threat. A threat to leave because you aren't getting your way is still a threat and shouldn't need to be tolerated. It isn't going to get anything done any faster than it is already being done. No one on the team gets paid to help out around here, we just do it because we want to. Either way, a solution is in the works, so for anyone with patience, everything should be running very smoothly very soon. It takes alot of planning and work to make sure the new hosting move gets done right and flawlessly and to the right hosting service that will give us the optimum performance and uptime.

Last edited by trevius; 03-23-2009 at 03:01 PM..
Old 03-23-2009, 07:05 AM
BottleRog
Fire Beetle

They are gonna miss all that phat cash you were paying them ...... wait a second there is no phat cash from you!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Aergad
Banned

well I have to say given what ive read so far, that isnt entirely true, the team gets paid via donations so to speak, perhaps not regularly and so forth but money changing hands is infact money changing hands.

I dont think that threatening to ban people for voicing thier displeasure about the LS issues is helpfull persoonally, I mean the posts about getting a new ls and so forth have been up since i joined days ago. So far the only people who have actually listened to the community are devnoob and image, they took the time to not only get a seperate public ls up but also revamped minilogin to utilize username and password authentication which is something so many have asked for, sure its limited on the number of accounts at present but it is progress none the less.

I agree that the current LS issues are intolerable, it should never have been allowed to get to the point it is at, nor should the community be so dependant on only ONE Ls. Posts have been made about keeping a captive audience and that is precisly what is going on. Noone will release a public LS in any form either source or precompiled binaries, because as i understand what ive read so far the staff are terrified of fork projects being made and it killing the project, but i submit this question, is the current LS Setup not already killing the community BECAUSE there is no cahnce of redunancy? People will leave simply because its never up, and yeah while there are posts that state a new one is being procured and so on and so forth there is no telling when the project and community will be in the same boat.

I understand that the devs of the LS dont want the source released... Fine great not a problem... distribute binaries or something so this kind of thing NEVER happpens again
Old 03-23-2009, 07:17 AM
yarmond2
Fire Beetle

Any hints as to what is going on right now with the LS? Nothing but error, not even getting to see the servers.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:47 AM
tiggs0907
Fire Beetle

how long is it going to be before the LS is fixed so us eq junkies can go back to playing i have been trying for hours to log on and keep getting the same message that my username and or password are not correct
Old 03-23-2009, 07:47 AM
trevius
Developer

I think you misread my post. I don't have any problem with people voicing their concerns about the Login Server. But, there is no need for posts basically saying the project is shit and they are leaving, which is essentially what drakheim was saying.

And no, none of the current members of the EQEmu team are paid for what they do, even from any sort of donations. There are donation links from the main site where people could send money to some of the old devs who aren't even involved in the project anymore, but that is only because the site hasn't been updated in years. And no one sends them money anymore anyway. Doodman has been paying for the current Login Server hosting out of his own pocket for quite a while now as far as I understand.

The recent donation request by KLS was just setup a few days ago and that money will be going directly to paying for the new hosting and nothing else. So, again, not a penny to the team. We don't need or want money for what we do here.

The new mini-login from devn00b and image is not restricted to 20 accounts because they don't know how to remove that restriction, that is something they set on purpose. They could remove those restrictions completely in about 2 seconds. Yes, there new Private and Public Login Servers are cool and are nice to give the community more options, but as soon as the new hosting is in place for the current Login Server, all of our worries will be over. People will quickly forget about the issues with the LS and go back to just enjoying the emulator.

This webite, forums, wiki and even the current Login Server are all parts of the EQEmu project and will soon all be managed by the same group of active team members. We develop the server code and make sure that things are moving in a good direction. Yes, the current Login Server sucks, but that isn't our fault. It has been maintained by doodman for about 2 years now and he has been uninvolved in the project almost that whole time due to being very busy IRL. The plans are that he will be passing it down to a current active member of the team, KLS, who will ensure that everything has maximum uptime possible.

Where things go from there, we will see. I imagine that there will probably be other alternatives and maybe some backup Login Servers going to allow for redundancy at some point. If image and devn00b release their mini-login without the restrictions it currently has, then it shouldn't be too hard to code it so each server can have their own private back door Login Server for when the public one is down. But, from the looks of their site, it seems like they are already planning to start charging for the non-restrictive builds. Personally, once the new hosting is in place, there won't even be a need for a backup, so I wouldn't bother paying for that myself unless I saw a good reason to :P Nothing else with the emu costs money, so I am not really for charging for stuff like that. Again, we will have to see how this all pans out. Shouldn't be much longer before everything is finalized.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Aergad
Banned

I noticed that as well, I was speaking more for an "official" Release of a precompiled LS Public or mini that doesnt use IP authentication if that makes sense something released by the project for the community as a whole, I understand the concerns about fork projects and so forth but really I believe the benefits of releasing some kind of a public LS To the community would outweigh the possible downsides.

Image and Devnoobs have the encryption built into the EXE of the LS Why cant the offical emu devs do the same that would solve alot of the problems and might just be a really great move for the community as a whole then everyone has the option to be private or public and allows for redunancy because I guarentee that many people would post their LS on the forums for bacup purposes. Its just a suggestion but i for one would greatly apprecaite having the option like that
Old 03-23-2009, 08:25 AM
SwenCLR
Fire Beetle

Looks like it is fixed for a bit at least, but please still run to live and give them a monthly commission on a decade old game.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:20 AM
devn00b
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Where things go from there, we will see. I imagine that there will probably be other alternatives and maybe some backup Login Servers going to allow for redundancy at some point. If image and devn00b release their mini-login without the restrictions it currently has, then it shouldn't be too hard to code it so each server can have their own private back door Login Server for when the public one is down. But, from the looks of their site, it seems like they are already planning to start charging for the non-restrictive builds. Personally, once the new hosting is in place, there won't even be a need for a backup, so I wouldn't bother paying for that myself unless I saw a good reason to :P Nothing else with the emu costs money, so I am not really for charging for stuff like that. Again, we will have to see how this all pans out. Shouldn't be much longer before everything is finalized.
The whole problem with your guys plan is to run off donations. You know the project has tryed this before right? You know how it ended up? It ended up doodman paying $39 or whatever a month. Or Hogie before that. The whole plan is flawed. When donations run out, whats KLS going to do? I've asked this question and have yet to get a response.

We made the alternate loginserver because if you think a server run off donations is going to be stable your deluded. Sure the platform will be. But what happens when people stop donating, what then? whats plan b? Run shit off your home connections?
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 PM
So_1337
Dragon

There have been at least two very generous offers for hosting that I have seen both between here and the PEQ forums. I'm not sure how much the development team considered them, but that would eliminate the need for any month-to-month donations, and all that would be required would be whatever amount of cash was allocated to upgrade the actual server components. I believe that in the rush to get away from the current host (as the deadline is tomorrow, if I remember reading correctly), that there hasn't been much time to discuss all of the options on the table.

I know that if the project's development team were to accept one of the hosting offers, that it would take things a bit more out of their control, but free is free. I can absolutely see devn00b's point about the monthly fees eventually becoming an issue. We've been lucky so far in that one-time donations centered around a current catastrophe seem to work well around here, such as the previous hosting predicament. Month-to-month, though? People are here to get away from any sort of subscription fee =P

Have any of the hosting options been considered?

Links to the posts:
Keegan's offer.
Impbrain's offer.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:16 PM
devn00b
Demi-God

I offered to host as well.
I have plenty of available services, and well, wouldn't need to worry about the LS seeing as we have our own. I'm assuming that was a sticking point. Someone else having access to the LS...well..that's no longer a problem

But thedonations route is the route they have chosen to take. I just want to hear plan B for when (not not IF but when) the donations fail and someone has to pay for the box.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" Club
Most Senior EQEMu Member.

Current Work: EverQuest 2 Emulator. Zeklabs Server
Old 03-23-2009, 04:42 PM
trevius
Developer

Devn00b, I honestly have heard no exact dollar amounts, but I wouldn't be surprised if donations were already reaching $1000+. I will personally be sending $100 from my server funds as soon as I get enough in the paypal account.

I think having paid dedicated hosting is the best way to go, because we don't have to worry about someone who offered free hosting to lose interest in the project and tell us we have 1 week to move it before they shut it down. Or maybe they get upset for whatever reason and just wipe everything without letting us get new backups first. I just don't think it would be a good idea to take anyone who isn't well-known and trusted up on an offer for free hosting. Of the 2 offers that So_1337 linked, 1 is in Sweden, which I think means it can be crossed off of the list. The other didn't give any specific hosting stats, but did sound a bit more promising. If Daxum can vouch for them, it might be worth considering. I think I also saw someone offer to host it, but it was on a VMware session, which would never happen. Not that we don't appreciate the offers, because we do, but I think they are still going over the options before making any final decisions.

There are multiple reasons why hosting relying on donations didn't work in the past, but those issues could be resolved with minimal effort IMO. One reason why doodman was stuck with the bill was because he was too busy to keep the service available with high enough uptime for people to appreciate it and want to help out. Another reason was because he was not actively asking for donations. If we have nearly enough to pay for the first whole year of hosting right now, then I think it would take minimal effort to ensure that it stays paid for until the project dies. I give minimal incentive for people to contribute to my server, Storm Haven, and even then I average more than enough to pay the $100 per month that KLS suggested was the range they were looking for. My server gets less than 1/10th the total players that use the emu, so I am confident that it would be no trouble to get the funds we need for the Login Server and keep them constant enough. If needed, myself and some of the other servers that take contributions could handle a large amount of the hosting costs on our own. I know a few others have offered decent sized donations for the Login Server from our server funds.

Also, if needed, I am sure with us having direct access to the host via KLS or whatever, we could add some new features or do something special for donators that would give just a bit of extra incentive to make sure donations keep coming in as time goes on. Really, I doubt anything like that would even be needed, but it is an option to consider if we did need it. I wouldn't be surprised if we could reach 2 years worth of funds for the new hosting before much longer. I think there are alot of people holding off on sending anything in right now, because they want to know the details first. Once the details are set, they may send some in as well.

If all else failed, considering the multiple offers for free hosting, hopefully if paid hosting via donations were to ever run out, we could just ask for free hosting offers again and take what we can get. There isn't really much other options than that other than hosting in someone's basement or having everyone use Private Login Servers only. With the best interest of the project in mind, I think the paid hosting is just the best route to go for now and if changes are needed in the future, we will just need to make that decision when the time comes.

The new mini-login you guys made is great and definitely has the potential to be an option in the case that the Public LS ever has to go away for good.

Also, So_1337 mentioned the current hosting expiring in a day. That is no longer the case. They missed the cut-off to cancel Doodman's current service and so it is now paid for another month. Hopefully things will be settled into the new hosting long before then, but at least that gives them more time to prepare and do the move right and to the right host.

Another thing; while I am trying to answer as best as I can, I had/have no say in the decision to go to paid hosting via donations. I am just trying to share what I know and what I assume to be true with the people here so they aren't completely blind to the situation. I have been trying to follow this whole situation as best as I can and I know there are plenty out there who have no clue about what is currently going on with the Login Server. So, I am just trying to fill in info where I can. I am also backing the decisions that have been made by the leads of the project, because I have faith in them and I know things will be worked out soon.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Ryoz
Fire Beetle

Bumping this because the password login problem seems to have resurfaced as of 3/25/09.

TO ADMINS:

Should we still send you our loginserver name via PM?