Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Aldest
Sarnak

Default Upgrading to a new Revision

I have a rather basic question about going from one revision to the next.

When I started this I wasn't quite understanding how to get everything together. I was really happy to find the PEQ installer and used that. I then used the PEQ update to bring my server up to the last posted revision.

Now the code.google.com site has a lot newer revisions and I'm interested in using the 408 on from http://code.google.com/p/projecteqemu/downloads/list.

Could someone direct me to a "how to" post or wiki on updating? Can I do so without a new PEQ update? I have a pretty large amount of unique content now. So that factors in as well.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Aldest
Sarnak

Any thoughts on this at all?

I've been considering just starting with a fresh build and checking as to whether or not I can import my data into the new build.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Andrew80k
Dragon

In retrospect it is easier to make changes with an eye to the future. I know some folks around here, me included, that keep a custom.sql file that all db changes go into. That way you can (almost) always just drop your old db, source new db, source custom.sql and you're all set. Now if you didn't do that it's more difficult, depending on how much custom content you have. There is no diff for mysql dumps, unless someone has come up with one recently. I looked a few months ago and couldn't find anything. Depending on what changes have been made you can just plug the database updates into your current database and happily go right on. Then all you have to do is update your code. The downside to this is that there could be a lot of content changes in the PEQ db or AX db that you won't get.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Aldest
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew80k View Post
In retrospect it is easier to make changes with an eye to the future. I know some folks around here, me included, that keep a custom.sql file that all db changes go into. That way you can (almost) always just drop your old db, source new db, source custom.sql and you're all set. Now if you didn't do that it's more difficult, depending on how much custom content you have. There is no diff for mysql dumps, unless someone has come up with one recently. I looked a few months ago and couldn't find anything. Depending on what changes have been made you can just plug the database updates into your current database and happily go right on. Then all you have to do is update your code. The downside to this is that there could be a lot of content changes in the PEQ db or AX db that you won't get.
I appreciate the answer! I think I have PEQ revision 233. That is quite a bit out of date.

I have not done as you suggested. I just didn't know when I got started. That said, I know where my content is and reproducing it, for the most part, wouldn't be the end of the world.

My major concern is my database columns not matching the newest ones. I'm also a bit leary of the code update. Is it really just "copying over" the older files with the new ones?
Old 04-14-2009, 03:24 PM
drakelord
Hill Giant

If you are getting the binaries, then yes, you just overwrite your old files.

As for the database, I would make a backup of each table individually, and store that somewhere. Then drop the current database, source the new one, and take a look at it.

If it so happens that a new field is added in a table or something, you can source the old backup file to a new database, run a query to modify it, save the code, then put it into the new database.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Aldest
Sarnak

Awesome! Now that I can do. I have a back up daily so I think I'll start working towards this.

Thank you for the replies!