Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Quests > Quests::Q&A

Quests::Q&A This is the quest support section

Old 07-29-2009, 05:29 AM
eqwarrior
Sarnak

Question Wall Kill

Noobs are hiding behind walls to kill elite mobs. Looking for ideas to combat this. Maybe make the mob random pick a hate list target and summon them? Or have the mob shadow step around randomly? Anyone else have this problem? I'm sure there are a lot of ideas, and looking for a better than cheap fix for this problem.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Dantes
Fire Beetle

I would choose summoning personally.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:42 AM
eqwarrior
Sarnak

The mob already summons, but they are so close to the mob hitting through the wall, it doesn't summon the mob. Maybe write a quest that randomly on a timer or hp event summon the player to the bosses XY?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Dantes
Fire Beetle

Being at the very beginning of learning how to run my own server, I don't know all the checks that can happen (I'd research this but I'm at work atm) but is there is a way to check if the mob is actually able to hit the player? If the mob can't hit the player, warp the mob to coord x,y then summon and root the player? I'm living in pseudocode atm, can't you tell? Anyway, you can perform this check as often as you feel necessary.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:00 AM
eqwarrior
Sarnak

Well, the main reason the players hide behind the wall is to avoid the AoE that I have the bosses cast, so only the main tank and boss hit each other with melee through the wall, and everyone else doesn't get hit. Suppose to be a hard raid boss due to the AoE spells it cast, but players are avoiding it.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:24 AM
steve
Discordant

How about spawning an 'invisible man' NPC on the other side of the wall after the event is started, and have this NPC cast the same AEs at the same intervals?

You could use a signal for when the main mob dies so the AE NPC depops when the event is over.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Dantes
Fire Beetle

Wait, so is it a spell range issue or does the wall block the AoE spell? If it's the former, that is very easy to remedy. If it's the latter, I'd go with Steve's suggestion.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Dibalamin
Hill Giant

Just have him mem blur every 10 seconds or so =p. Or have him blur constantly if there aren't at least X people in line of sight.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:05 PM
eqwarrior
Sarnak

I thought about spawning invisible man tactic before. Was hoping there was less of a quick fix that I could implement on all my bosses. The Boss Cast a PB AoE that has 300 Range that does massive damage that the users are trying to avoid. Hmm, mem blur, wonder how that would work or be effective.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:50 PM
trevius
Developer

I haven't looked at the code yet, but maybe the cast spell commands could just have a bool option added that would make them ignore LoS. Or, if it is an NPC casting from it's own spell list and not from a script, then maybe a new NPC special attack code could be added for unavoidable AEs. It would definitely be a great thing to have both of these options for creating good boss encounters.

Until that happens, maybe you could just have it use the GetRandomClient() quest object to get a random nearby client and then have them actually cast the AE, so it will hit anyone near them. It would probably be hard for a whole raid to hide behind walls from everyone in the raid at all times lol.

I think you just use it like:
Code:
my $MyX = GetX();
my $MyY = GetY();
my $MyZ = GetZ();

my $RandClient = $entity_list->GetRandomClient($MyX, $MyY, $MyY, 100);
Then, use the $RandClient to cast a spell on a timer or something with something like this:

Code:
if ($RandClient){
  my $ClientID = $RandClient->GetID();
  $RandClient->CastSpell(spell_id, $ClientID);
}
I haven't tested that, but I think that would make them cast the spell on themself, which should effect both them and anyone within range/LoS of them.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Capheus
Hill Giant

Would be interesting to see if that would work. How would the EMU handle this as the player casting the spell? Would it actually allow hits on other players or would it AE NPCs only?

In UQUA I am using $client_search->CastSpell(5051,$list_check); and to the best of my knowledge it doesn't hit other players.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:40 PM
pfyon
Discordant

Couldn't you also just flag the ae as beneficial? On live at least, beneficial spells did not require line of sight, although I admit I don't know if that worked for AEs.