Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Vampire1212
Sarnak

Default EverQuest Standard

Sorry if this has been posted, answeard or whatever but I want to use the Original base game of Everquest with the emulator. Is this possible. Yes I know I can lock of zones blah blah and I can do this or that. I checked over a lot before posting.

I'm just curious because I am starting a project and just want to use it. I did download the original and will test it. But I figuered I could save myself the trouble by asking first.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:55 PM
nilbog
Hill Giant

The simple answer is no. I wish :P

My server's goal is to recreate classic everquest from release-Velious. The emulator source is most functional with Titanium or Secrets of Faydwer clients. We use Titanium.

I think the only other project using something older than Titanium is the eqclassic project, which is working with the Trilogy client.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Vampire1212
Sarnak

Ah that sucks. My other question than is why not? Because EQEmu supports live so in theory, what if someone never bought past Velious, they would still be live or maybe I am mistaken and should drop it? (:
Old 06-20-2010, 02:32 PM
pfyon
Discordant

Even if you never purchased past a certain expansion, SOE still patches the client up to support certain features (changes in the code anyway), meaning the version you have from 2000 or 2001 would not be the same as if you patched it.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:31 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

you need a PRECISELY SPECIFIC version of client to connect to Emu - what you have on your disc/patch is irrelevant.
a difference of SINGLE bit in your client version- and whole thing stops working.
just accept that.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Vampire1212
Sarnak

Hey now hey now I was just asking. It seriously does not hurt to do so. and I asked about live because last I knew it was either KLS or Trevius who had Live Opcodes. Thats all I was getting at. I have Seeds of Destruction up and running. I just wanted to do something with the base game.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:59 PM
trevius
Developer

Yeah, no harm in asking. You just don't quite understand how the client versions work. Even if you only own classic EQ with no expansions, if you connect to Live, they patch your client fully to Live. Except you don't get all of the new zones. It is the same exact client as the live client. So, if you have an old version of the game and connect to live at all, it will no longer be the old version, it will be live. You won't be able to see the original UI, and you will have updated zone textures, and updated spell effects, sounds, and so on.

To be able to use an older client than Titanium, we would need a good number of packet collects, or at least 1 packet collect for even the most basic functionality. Those collects are something we don't have, especially from 2002 or earlier. They just don't exist. It means it would be nearly impossible to get those old clients working well enough to be playable, if you could even get them to be able to log into the game. The only thing I could think of would be if we had a copy of the hackersquest source code from 2001/2002ish, it might help. But, hackersquests was not actually playable when I tried it, you could just log in and see some NPCs (mostly frozen naked humans) and not much else. If we had packet collects from them that they collected when making hackersquest, that would probably be enough for basic functionality. Their website is long gone and I doubt anyone could ever get in touch with the creator. Even if that was possible, we would probably have to rewrite all of the net code for handling the connection to the older clients, which would be a ton of work.

Basically, I am saying that it will probably never happen. If it was possible, I am sure the P99 people would be using it.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Vampire1212
Sarnak

Okay thank you for clearing that up I understand it now. See I did not realize that just like you said. It makes perfect sense now. Ashame Sony didn't do Patches per game (As in it checks what you have installed and gives you updates for just that, like The Sims 3 (: ) Ahh well. Seeds is fine and great work on it too. I don't mind it at all. It's the best client to use IMO.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Zlandicar
Sarnak

What they say said is not really true :o If you got the Luclin CD's what contains all the old ui and spell icons and stuff it can be used on EQEMU 3.04 i think it was. It needs alot of work doing to it.

Also if you got the Planes of Power CD's it works on eqemulator 3.10 to 4.2, This cd also contains all the old school stuff. Remember tho they need alot of working doing to them.

The trilogy pack realease in the UK called New Dawn Also works.

Trevius

I still have the first Hackersquest with 2000 Client + the Login and Source so if you want it just pm me. But like you said it's complete garbag :P
Got ShowEQ from 2000 if thats any good to anyone.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:48 AM
steve
Discordant

I don't see much work ever being put into getting any of the clients older than Titanium to work. It's pretty much impossible to get ahold of a legitimate copy now and distributing the clients is a legal nightmare.

If you can get it working, grats, but for the amount of work it would need it's definitely not worth the time.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Vampire1212
Sarnak

Well I see I started a whole thread. I just asked a question :P

I'm not looking to get other clients working lol, I just wanted to know if I could use the base game.

I use Seeds of Destruction, that is the clinet everyone should use IMO.

So since I am the poster, I also assume I can ask to remove this thread? No need to waste a post.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:42 PM
mgellan
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I don't see much work ever being put into getting any of the clients older than Titanium to work. It's pretty much impossible to get ahold of a legitimate copy now and distributing the clients is a legal nightmare.
Hey there, since the OP has decamped I'll hijack/continue the thread Some of us over on P99 are trying to get the MIDI music from the original client playing through period hardware because the playback is vastly superior to the dreck that plays now (both MIDI and MP3) on the right hardware. I have the original client but of course, it needs to have a server to talk to.

It sounds like it might be possible to get an older version of an emu to talk to an old client, or even proxy old client -> new server so the protocols can be controlled, any thoughts on how this might be done?

Regards,
Mg