Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:28 AM
everlastnmn
Sarnak

Default Anyone playing the free EQ2?

Just wondering if anyone has tried the free version of EQ2 and what they thought ?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Armyg740
Fire Beetle

i have im lvl 12 Templar.. as for what i think about it, its ok for being free.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:21 AM
zpsyx9
Fire Beetle

I tried it but I think it's too locked down. You can't unlock as much individual stuff like you can with D&D online. Constant pop-ups about paying to upgrade your account appear. They also want people to pay $15 per month for a gold version which unlocks some things, but not even close to everything. The full normal subscription is $15 per month anyways.

Personally I think it's to make people come back and say "wow the new service is such a rip-off I'll just open my old account back up...", and then they get reactivated subs.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:00 PM
DeathSymbolic
Fire Beetle

Free EQ2 is horrible. Just get a subscription if you want to play EQ2...seriously.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:18 AM
elfindal
Fire Beetle

Honestly, for what you are getting for free, it's amazing. I played EverQuest 2 for about a year and a half, and the limitations aren't HALF as bad as people make them sound. I have two backpacks, and I have yet to fill them both up, I just vendor things. As far as not being able to mail, oh well. It is a pain not being able to use /shout and /ooc, but those aren't that important anyways, just more of a convenience. The only flaw I really do not like is the 5xCharacter Level gold restriction (Level 25 character can have 125 gold max), but I guess that will lower the prices on the market! They are trying to offer a micro-transaction based version, and I say props to them. I am sure it will be streamlined down the way, but for now, they are offering you all the content in the game without having to pay ANYTHING, not even for the game itself!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

The last of a fast dying breed.

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 09-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Secrets
Demi-God

I'm actually really interested in the free EQ2. It isn't as bad as people make it out to be, only if you pay a subscription on it though.

The free restrictions are too harsh to even be competitive on the game. They restrict raid and group obtained gear to be non-usable by free or one-time payment (?!) players.

Boxing multiple characters is the only thing I can see it being used for. Other than that, it's better to subscribe to the free server (not the live servers though.) Why? There's some people braving the restrictions, despite they cannot wear the gear. It will make leveling a lot easier being in a group.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:42 AM
provocating
Demi-God

EQ2 is too commercialized now. It irks me about the Station Store and the pop-ups, they just nickel and dime you to death. I am not liking all of the F2P models now, all games appear to be doing it.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Dunge0nMastr
Hill Giant

honestly i tried it back when they were giving free golds to everyone because of the hacking - so reopened my old old old account and screwed around for a while, i enjoy some things they did with the game, but overall i do admit i feel like their F2P system is really more like a "Demo" than anything, you cant really PLAY with a free account, just dick around. Money limitations, Spell Rank limitations, make trying to get anywhere with a free account very tough. And the classes they give you are the absolute basic ones, and lets face it those werent very interesting or fun.

Overall i enjoy some of what they did with the game, but dumbed it down WAAAAAAY to much.

If your looking to dick around, give it a try was fun for a while, but if your looking for the real eq2 experience, then your just going to have to pay.

I will admit tho, the population of the extended server is quite refreshing after going back to Everfrost to see that there were like 5 people on lol.

Its got a vibrant community right now, but it really isnt "Free to Play", its "Free to Try, but pay us if you want to really do anything"