Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Old 09-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Vampire1212
Sarnak

Default New C++ Skills for EQ

Hey all,

So after learning a lot more C++ in college and by myself, I'd like to try my hand at fixing a piece of code or something just to learn the EQEmu better.

Whats something minor that needs some work that I may try and see if I can get working?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Caryatis
Dragon

Doesn't really work like that. The people with the knowledge to be able to correctly estimate the scope of a problem(ie Devs) would simply fix a small issue and the people who have no idea of the scope of the problem(ie players) are likely to think incredibly complex things are relatively easy.

Spell effects are usually a good place to look for inaccuracies but since you are looking for experience, a huge part of that will be learning to find problems on your own.

There is also a list of issues on google code but its pretty out of date
Old 09-19-2012, 12:08 PM
c0ncrete
Dragon

i found that bots were the best place for me to start. tweaking the ai, addressing issues that allowed clients to circumvent spawn restrictions, and adding or customizing commands (for myself or individual servers).

sometimes i just study and then re-write a random method/function from scratch so that i can get a better understanding of how everything works in the source. if it still works, great. if not, then i have to sort out why and fix it.