Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

View Poll Results: When
Next Release 17 62.96%
Release after that.... 3 11.11%
Release after THAT.... 1 3.70%
NEVER!! 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2002, 11:35 AM
adam1385
Fire Beetle

Default Desciplines, horses

when are these going to be put in, my monk sucks without them. sort of. he would just be much better.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:57 PM
Zetareticuli
Fire Beetle

I dont quite see why the horses would effect your monk that drastically, but I would like to see them in the next release. I dont understand why they werent in the emu already, but hey the devs have a hard enough time already, so I wont complain. Hell, I may even go try to figure it out myself.

now can I have my buffs plz?
Old 11-12-2002, 11:15 PM
Trumpcard
Demi-God

I dont get why everyone keeps screaming horses.. They were one of the last things added to eq, and will probably be one of the last things added to the emulator..

Boats dont work right now, wouldnt it make more sense to work on them first?

I doubt horses will make it in anytime soon, so don't keep your fingers crossed, it's just not very high on the priority list. Now, if you are willing to work on them, I dont think anyone would argue about rolling your changes into the code if you figure them out.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:23 AM
Amroth
Fire Beetle

Default Boats??

Why would they ever waste a second getting boats working?

What possible use could you make of a boat when you have a zone and a goto command?

Horses would be nice eye candy, but disciplines would be fun.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:45 AM
Trumpcard
Demi-God

Well, if you actually ever wanted a server to operate like EQ live, then I'd say you either needed a teleporter/quest npc to send you from one continent to another, or a working boat...

Else you'd be stuck on your starting continent. I dont see #zone lasting forever on all servers. When all the zone lines are right, why would you want people playing on your server to teleport anywhere they wanted.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:02 AM
tamarae
Hill Giant

Well said, Trumpcard. As the Emu progresses and more functionality is in place, I can guarantee the #zone command will disappear on my server.

Boy does that bring back memories from the days when no Druids/Wizards existed with the teleport spell. The big adventure of the month was trying to run from Qeynos to Guk to see if some uber lvl 15 high level guy would let you buy a piece of mesh armor off of him... lol
Old 11-13-2002, 10:41 AM
Baron Sprite
Dragon

Horses are the devil.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:02 PM
Darkuwa
Fire Beetle

personally i hope they never take out the #zone command its one of the reasons i started playing the emu. i mean the whole point to me atleast is to be superman have the best equipment go wherever you want. stuff that would take years of hard work and dedication my parents wont allow me to put into the real thing.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:04 PM
Korakin
Sarnak

I'm sure as the Emu progresses, some servers will work like a live server. The difference? Better help and no paying for it. I'd like to see this happen. I want to play live but I hate the lack of conversation (i solo a lot) and the lack of help from the higher ups. If I play "legit" on an Emu server, there's too much temptation...and all the non-buffed mobs are a joke.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:35 AM
Amroth
Fire Beetle

ROFL,

Those will be some fun servers...14 people on the server and your level 3 necro is sitting in tox forest shouting "paying 2pp for port to WC pgt".

If you want to play the game and be miserable, pay 12 bucks and play on FV. At least you won't go LD everytime you zone lol.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:03 AM
Trumpcard
Demi-God

I think you're missing the whole point... No one says it has to be exactly like EQ, but you can make it anyway you want. If you want people to be able to zone, fine.. If you want them to have to actually PLAY, thats fine too. Whatever floats your boat, or horse.

On my servers for instance, I'll have transporter quest NPC's that will zone you across the big stretches, but Im not putting one in every zone to teleport you anywhere else, I'd like to buid a quest driven world where players actually PLAY.

Whats fun about zoning anywhere you want to, getting any item you want, etc? Your not playing, theres no progression, you are just immeditely uber, able to do anything you want, and frankly, for a persistant game world, that sucks..

If you want to do that, run your own server locally, you dont need to put a server up for the world, because you have nothing to offer a player, there are 20 identical servers up where thats all you can do.. I'd rather see servers with unique content, each with their own flavor and challenges..

You're probably one of those people that immediately goes to the cheat sites as soon as you buy a new game so you can use the cheat codes, rather than playing the game as the creator intended. I play, and enjoy the challenge, and progression of advancing my character, becoming stronger and more powerful, of making gains through work and intelligent play. Im an old school roleplayer though, not part of the Playstation generation.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:51 AM
TheClaus
Discordant

Well said Trump. It drives me nuts to see people here because they couldn't hack it in the real EQ. They just want to see what it is like to be uber and go anywhere. If you want that then just use the level viewer. You won't be uber but you'll see the zones. EQ is a game and sure your right about zoning but like Trump said if you play it right you can use the quest system and have NPC teleport you where you need to go. I think that is better than adding items that take the fun out of playing.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:56 AM
SnaxMan
Fire Beetle

I don't see why boats should be put into EQEmu when they no longer work on the live servers, they've just given up on the things and left the translocators in permanently to teleport you instead
Old 11-14-2002, 03:20 AM
Trumpcard
Demi-God

When I work on my databases, or play with code fixes, I generally think to myself, ok, if I want to start with lvl 1 and play,
what do I need to fix..

First thing on my fix list is skill trainers.. This can be gotten around by some quest npc scripting, but I like the way trainers work much better, and its a known standard.

Next, some initial quests for low level characters. Ok, start with halas.. Patchwork armor quests, and some low level weapon quests. Most of that functionality is in..

The emulator is VERY close to being able to be a decent persistant game world instead of just a toy. Once we get a few more things fixed, we'll have a good shot at having some real game worlds. WC's admin tool has come a long way, and is becoming a great editor for creating custom content, and the platform is pretty damn stable.. I left a character logged in all day the other day with no disconnects crashes, thats pretty damn stable. I couldnt do that most of the time in eqlive.

Getting factions set up will be next, and the big one, which is one I hope can be implemented as easily as quester mentions, is rudimentary pathing.

Anyways, thats my roadmap for my server, and the things i want to work on. I'd like to see all the super heavy duty high level stuff done like disciplines, but i'd rather see the low end developed and 100% first.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:37 AM
kathgar
Discordant

Default Disciplines

PACKETCOLLECT THEM
That is all

Horses- they are a bitch, someone is/was working on them

AA-
PACKETCOLLECT USING THEM

You can send these packet logs to the dev email, or send them on irc to me/image/whatever