Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Database/World Building

Archive::Database/World Building Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 02-16-2003, 08:21 AM
Kambuk
Fire Beetle

Default Database Standard Idea

Just had a thought that might help making databases long term.

If somone came up with a standard for spawns in the DB by zone.

i.e Sebilis gets id's 1500-1800

Then people could work on one zone and merge it with other peoples work.

Same for loot tables etc, Idealy if this was correctly implemented
you could dump one zone to a file and import into someone elses db.

The database tools may need some work for this to happen though.

Kambuk
Old 02-20-2003, 10:51 AM
Saldhar
Fire Beetle

I agree Kambuk, a database standard would allow us to begin a much more calaborative effort in populating the world. We currently have three excellent database content developed by Drawde, Telmet, and Lurker, but each of these are exclusive of one another. If we could begin a calaborative database building project where people volunteer to develop content for specific zones and then bring the zones all togeather and create a much more complete world. Once we have a heavily populated world, then other colabortive projects could involve quests and custom content. Of course the first step would be to develop standards to make this possible.

So my question is then who wants to join togeather and create a world content team? I'd be willing to cordinate it if there is interest.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:08 AM
Auldar
Sarnak

I'd also love to see this happen.

It doesn't make sense for 3 people to reinvent each other's work.

I guess it's really up to the guys who are putting in the bulk of the effort..

Telmet, Lurker, and Drawde.. What are your thoughts?

-Auldar
Old 02-20-2003, 01:05 PM
jdankanyin
Sarnak

each person databse is unique as well as there servers so thats why they all cant be the same ,also the datbase changes in each ner version every month until they get everything fixed then we will work on populating the world
Old 02-21-2003, 06:08 AM
Bigpull
Discordant

I'm not a DB guru, but like just use the zone id number as a prefix to your npcs. decide a max number of npcs per zone lets say 9999

example:
Lanshun novashine(sp) in n qey 10001
Marrisa clothspinner(sp) in n qey 10002
Priest of discord in n qey 9990003 (using 999 for global npcs)
Old 02-21-2003, 08:15 AM
Saldhar
Fire Beetle

jdankanyin, I understand that everyones database will probably end up being unique, however I see the purpose of a project like this would be to provide a fairly complete starting base, which follows a set of standards. By applying standards to the database data, adding custom content should be fairly easy. One possiblitly would be that ranges of primary keys could be assign as custom, so uploading custom content would not conflict the base data. The other advantages with having a content building team would be that when new releases to come out, then you have 10-20 people working to correct the data rather than each seperate world having to recreate all of their content from scatch. It gives people the power to concentrate on customizations to EQ rather than just recreating it so it is not an empty world. I don't think we can ever expect that EQEMU will ever be finished in the same way the EQ is not finished, there will always be changes made to the system to handle new features.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:19 AM
Trumpcard
Demi-God

You dont want npcid to be to high with the way the code is done right now. It assigns the npcid to an array in memory, so npc id 9999999 would have to have an array with at least 999999 elements to put it into.

Bad design in the code currently.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:26 AM
TheClaus
Discordant

This was talked about a long time ago. Gino and I had this idea to make a database with standards and such. Here is a design doc I made that broke id numbers into zones. It needs some updating but from what I can tell you no one wanted to do it. So it never lifted off.

*Edited to take out a [/url] that it added
Old 02-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

With all the work I was doing on the spawns area in the admin tool, I had a similar idea--that it would be nice if zones could be made "modular", so that different people could work on different zones and they could be merged together.

I seriously believe the DB makers should consider a standard, even if it's a flexible one specified by a text file or a DB table. Ideally, an existing DB should be able to be broken up into multiple DB's, one per zone, and have individual zones removed and replaced with newer/better versions. I'm still forming thoughts on this, but does anyone else care to comment? Can this sort of thing be done? Would it be useful?

WC
Old 02-21-2003, 01:32 PM
jdankanyin
Sarnak

:o well with working with populating dbs from 2.6 to current ive noticed i wasnt able to keep the same npc_type Ids the same for each version along with the zonepoints, each version is different when they add new stuff to the code like in 4.1dr4 i can enter dreadlands np but in the officle release of 4.1 i cant enter that zone. So far all of the Zones i populate for Forever hacking server changes every new release exspecialy with 4.2
Old 02-24-2003, 07:53 PM
syntoad
Fire Beetle

I think that while db standards are a good idea, it would take more than just assigning id numbers. Even if you give a range to a zone, it would still defeat your purpose. For example, if you give Qeynos 1000-2000 and we will say that the first 500 are taken with npc's and all the standard stuff. Now as people start to make additions, they would all most likely start at 501. So now you would have the nice base db, but still have conflicting additions.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:35 AM
TheClaus
Discordant

If people were to make additions then it wouldn't be a standard database but a customize database.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:05 AM
p4lm0r3
Fire Beetle

Default for what it's worth

Well, for what it's worth, I'd be willing to join a team for DB development, get around 5 ppl, start with the old world, everyone takes a continent..Antonica, Velious, Kunark and so on
Each person works on that and that only, NPCs, Spawns, Waypoints and pathing and zoning. once Norrath is complete, move onto Luclin and finally the planes..
Everyone says it's a cool idea, but no one has said they'd do it..
well I'm down for that, I'd love to help...
anyone else? =)
Old 02-28-2003, 03:00 AM
TheClaus
Discordant

If I was doing this you would not want the roaming spawns. I would stick with towns first (not a lot of roamers) and work your way out. What would be cool would be a system that would allow you to random assign waypoints for mobs such as snakes and other things that don't really matter where they are placed.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:31 AM
syntoad
Fire Beetle

I would be up to voulnteer for a standard database project, I could even make a web page where people could submit additions, then have them reviewed and if found acceptable added to the db, so this way others could contribute, while still keeping within the standards.

I am actually in the process of converting a mess of quests into the new questing system, so standard npc id's would be great