Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 01-17-2004, 08:50 AM
ob12
Fire Beetle

Default server computer question

Ok, I am a newb here so go easy on me. My son and I like to play eq, but he just turned 7. Playing on the normal servers is not advisable for him since he cannot read fast enough or really understand what people are saying to him. Also, the situations and politics in the game are difficult. We each have our own computer, and I was thinking about running a server on my wifes computer so Tim and I can play. Do you guys think this is too much and I should just play on someone elses server, or is setting up/running a server not bad for a casual player?
Also, lets say my wife would want to use her computer for like surfing or email, something minor, would she be able to with the server running and a couple of us playing on it? She has an XP2000 with 512mb ram running 2000pro right now. Thanks guys.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:55 AM
mattmeck

As long as you are computer savy you should be good. If you wanted any quests ect you would need to put them in yourself, as well as loot, there is already loot on most mobs but.....

As to her surfing with the server is running, as long as she dont mind it taking 5 min to load a page all is good :lol:

I would sugest playing on someone elses server due to the amount of work it would take to make a personal server worthwile.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:56 AM
x-scythe
Discordant

Default not hard

you could run a server with maybe like 4 people max and if its just for you and your son you dont have to keep it up all the time either. just when you guys are playin then bring it down when your not. and its not that hard to start a server as long as you at least know a little bit about computers and follow the directions step-by-step. i think your son could play on a regular server tho. guildwars is a good server.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:40 AM
Evanlazer
Fire Beetle

Or you could only run certain zones, such as ones that you feel are the best, to cut down on the server load.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:56 AM
mattmeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanlazer
Or you could only run certain zones, such as ones that you feel are the best, to cut down on the server load.
Huh?? if he is running 4 zones, they will allow him to have both him and his son zone into any zone in the game.

aahhh you just dont know how the zones actualy function.......
Old 01-17-2004, 01:50 PM
lucliner
Fire Beetle

I think he's recalling the ways the zones used to be called... used to be that you had to boot up a zone yourself to use it... now the server automatically boots up a zone on an unused zone.exe I do believe.. (Haven't been here in a while so I dunno)
{OLDSCHOOL} Gotfrags *GM* - Vahndleer
Member of the I kill Xounii and his brother club.
Member of the I HATE Devn00b club.

Squeaker *
130 Shaman - Dawunshi *GUIDE* (Gothic Cirlce: Officer)
130 Bard - Sarha *GUIDE* (Gothic Cirlce: Officer)
Old 01-17-2004, 03:43 PM
x-scythe
Discordant

Default .

he just joined this month...so unless this is a new account for him which i doubt then he wouldnt know the zones used to have to be manually loaded.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:07 PM
mattmeck

thats ok i used the wrong smily I meant to use this one

not the role eyes one, oh well.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:19 PM
ob12
Fire Beetle

Thanks guys for the help. I am setting up an internal lan server to get the feel for things. Everything is working pretty good so far, except my server is brown in the server selection window. When I try to connect, I get the dreaded 1017 saying something about patching. I am working on it however, and I have found a great many things in this forum. The database issue, the internal lan things and so on. Just another step or two and I think I will be there. Any ideas as I head off to search some more?

edit: Oh yeah, I can also log in and play on the servers from eqemu.net, like scorpius2k, and brightblade, (sorry for the mispells). So I know this has to be a config problem on my eqemu setup. I have read that there are two databases, one that works and one that does not. How do I know which to use?