Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Support > Archive::General Support

Archive::General Support Archive area for General Support's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 05-14-2004, 06:40 AM
em_palpatine
Fire Beetle

theres only one problem with the argument that your trying to fight. the licensse agreement that you agree to is provided AFTER you have patched meaning that eq has distributed ALL patch files for free of charge and without any legal commitment after you have innialty installed the game and the first legal binding agreement of the origanal cd files meaning you can do whatever you want with patched files because you have not agreed to any binding agreement until after you enter the exucuted program after patching. you are legaly able to patch free files from sony. the contract is after you patch. just look to UO for arguments there the reason sony hasn't/cant do anything except make threats.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:58 AM
Meekrat29
Fire Beetle

Default Self Patching

Everyone is worried about legal problems with creating a client/server patch system. Would anyone be willing to create a patch program that would be run from client side only. The program would need to be run after each live patch so that it could collect the modifed files and compress them into a backup file. If you came upon a need to resort to an earlier patch this program would have all the information it needed to remove the newer files and restore the older files.

All this would be done on the client machine. The user would be collecting and maintaining thier own own files. I believe this would be a legal and easy way to store several patches, and only on the client machine.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:10 AM
animepimp
Dragon

This could be slightly helpful, but the vast majority of people who patch when they shouldn't are newbies and would end up not using this to back it up anyway since it usually happens soon after they join and they don't know better.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Meekrat29
Fire Beetle

This is true, but it would reduce the amount of problems that I see on these boards about patching. It also would reduce the need to have multiple folders with the client (each about 2 and 1/2 gig).
The advantage would be to everyone who has limited space, not just newbies as some of the patches are only a few meg or a single file.
Just a thought.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:48 AM
Zori
Fire Beetle

This is not a suggestion
Quote:
1) No Warez (No Discussion or Providing of Warez). Warez is any file that has been obtained without purchase from the company or a "legit" vendor, or without the sole permission of the owner, or company is considered illegal and is not permitted on these forums. This also includes all EQ files and also means do NOT ask, give out, host, or in some other way promote the giving out of these files. This includes but is not limited to: The EQ Patcher, eqgame.exe, eqmain.dll, spdat.eff, cshome.s3d, cshome_chr.s3d, or ANY file downloaded with the Verant EQ Patcher (aka Everquest.exe) with the exeption of files that can be re-created within 10 seconds by hand (this means eqhost.txt is okay).
if you did not back up your files you wait it's that easy. These peole for the most part are doing this for free in there own time how dare you make a suggestion like that when it is a RULE not too
Old 05-18-2004, 01:52 AM
animepimp
Dragon

He's not suggesting anything that is against the rules, he's just suggesting a program that does the backups and restores for you so that its easier for less technical people to do. He called it a patch program, but its not really. I don't think it would help that much, but its definitely not against the rules.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:12 AM
rizzen04
Hill Giant

Basically from what I read he is talking about an archiving program, how is that warez? Where is the transfering of files? its not sharing soe's files its storing different patched versions on your own machine. Good god you people freak out way too easy.
If it doesn
Old 05-18-2004, 08:26 AM
Meekrat29
Fire Beetle

Yes archiving program is a more proper term, that was an oversight on my part.
As stated above there is NO TRANSFER of files. The program would simply compress or copy the new files for later use, then if needed would place them back. The program would not have the ability to send or recieve files. I do this on my own, but i use access and exel to parse a log file. And it saves me a ton a HD space. I was only trying to help out with a suggestion to help people who dont have the space or skill to make their own backups and did not intend to start an argument.