Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 09-12-2004, 06:05 PM
nizzytothepizzy
Fire Beetle

Default RA on pause, sucks!

damn you for having a life rogean. you lead a lot of people on for quiet a while about the new RA being released and it never happened. past few months I have been waiting for it to come out only to hear it was set back everytime, and now you take SCHOOL over eq emu?! what the hell.

sucks that you don't have the time to finish the server man, I know a lot of people antiicipated your server. seems the only good server to play on these days is winters roar - and that is way too much of a timesink, just like eq live. im afraid that by the time you finish your server WoW and eq2 will be out, and the player base will dwindle.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:50 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

WoW and EQ2, much live EQlive, will have a monthly fee.

From what I keep hearing here, it sounds like a huge portion of the userbase here plays Emu because Mom won't pay for a game subscription :lol:
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:59 AM
Celestial
Sarnak

I play cause its not run by a bunch of greedy asses that don't care what you think or want. And i like to be left alone, it weeds out the people that can't open a text file and paste the emu login servers in it... so atleast you deal with much lesser morons.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:39 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

I presume you won't be going to EQ2/WoW either then :P EQ2 run by the same greedy asses that run EQLive... Blizzard seems to be doing a lot of caring about what peeps want right now, but whether they continue to even try to put on the caring facade after the game's release remains to be seen.

Point I was trying to make was, as long as there's peeps that like EQ, there'll be a subset of that base that likes EQEmu. Everybody predicts that &lt;this game> or &lt;that game> will kill EQLive, and fact is, it won't. Nor will it kill EQEmu. There's been plenty of Next Big Thing (tm)'s come out since the beginning of EQ and Emu -- AO, DAoC, SWG, FFXI, L2, SB and more -- but we're all still here :P
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:45 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

Ya but all the games that have come out since EQ have sucked balls. Or only appealed to a certain niche of players
Old 09-13-2004, 07:53 AM
eq_addict_08
Hill Giant

I like EQemu because it fits more of my computer "needs". The need to slay fairy tale creatures en mas and the need to tinker with computer code. One solution to multiple problems..
Old 09-13-2004, 08:34 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

Wow, I couldn't express my personal motives for working on EQEmu better than eq_addict_08 put them haha. That's exactly why I do it as well. It's both challenging and fun.

Check out my deviantART page at http://daeken.deviantart.com/
Old 09-14-2004, 01:37 AM
Celestial
Sarnak

I think i will give EQ2 a shot just because im dying for new graphics. And if there is something that will beat EQ1 please let it be made by the creators of it.

Of course the staff is gona be real good at first but i never did rely on them really cause they are unreliable and useless.

But i always liked the fact that EQ1 was very strict on the exploit/banning anti-cheat environment. You work hard for something and you are part of a very small group that did the same to get to where they are.

So all in all i don't see how EQ2 will not be better in a sense, but if it does fail, i'm definetly not going to EQLive, im gona stay in the EQEmu community and try to help as much as i can to help develop it. I'm going to try EQ2 and keep in mind that EQ1 was not all that great when it first started but as time went on it developped to be what it is now. I can't remember how many times i heard people say that UO was soooo much better than EQ when i started in 1999 and now those same people are still playing.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:38 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial
I think i will give EQ2 a shot just because im dying for new graphics. And if there is something that will beat EQ1 please let it be made by the creators of it.

Of course the staff is gona be real good at first but i never did rely on them really cause they are unreliable and useless.

But i always liked the fact that EQ1 was very strict on the exploit/banning anti-cheat environment. You work hard for something and you are part of a very small group that did the same to get to where they are.

So all in all i don't see how EQ2 will not be better in a sense, but if it does fail, i'm definetly not going to EQLive, im gona stay in the EQEmu community and try to help as much as i can to help develop it. I'm going to try EQ2 and keep in mind that EQ1 was not all that great when it first started but as time went on it developped to be what it is now. I can't remember how many times i heard people say that UO was soooo much better than EQ when i started in 1999 and now those same people are still playing.
The makers of EQ1 are not involved with EQ2.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:40 AM
killspree
Dragon

Well...Brad did the design doc, and from what I can see much of that leaked doc is still the same as it was back then. But of course some things have probably changed for the worse.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:29 AM
govtcheeze
Hill Giant

From my understanding, Verant Interactive (remember "the vision"?) was the genious behind EQ after they stole and abused the DIKU GPL licence / code base. Sony was the producer of the game, which basically provided the funding for the release of the project.

After it became such a cash cow, SOE bought out VI for the rights, most of the original dev team left, and Luclin was released signaling the apocolypse of EQ as we used to know it.

Anyone who knows more about this, or corrections, I would be interested in heading about.

Developer of the original (circa 2004):
Loots v2.0, bitch!
Faction v1.0, bitch!
Magelo-like clone v0.3, bitch!
Zone geometry and spawn/path viewer, bitch!
Old 09-14-2004, 02:35 AM
killspree
Dragon

The guys that left did so right around the time of luclins release, basically leaving everything they designed half-finished and up to new guys that didn't know what to do with it. Then you had the guys that got moved on to EQ2 midway through designing luclin(guy that worked on the vex thal content was moved on for example)...so things really went downhill pretty fast.