Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 07-19-2004, 06:55 AM
jimbox114
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzen04
Quote:
it has become increasingly obvious that SOE is slowly and quietly trying to break EQEmu, this being alot of proof
I think SOE couldnt give a shit about EQEMU, this is a very small project in comparison to the amount of work it takes them just to modify something like that. They are still bringing in tons of money off EQ and even alot of the people that play EQEMU have live accounts on EQ still. there are around 16,000 registered accounts here, even if that was 1 account per person and always active it wouldnt even dent EQ's total account base.
You forget who your talking about. Sony is the biggest Bastards ever, remember what they did to Bleem!? Not only did Bleem! not hurt them any, but they actually was increaseing the amount of people who could buy Playstation 1 games. Bleem! did nothing illegal, yet they was shut down cause Sony just countlessly took them to court till Bleem! was bankrupt. If they can screw EQEMU, they will do it.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:27 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

Nope sorry. there's a big difference in your comparison bro.

Bleem charged for their software program, they profited off it.

EQEMU does not. Thats the real basis. If sony sued anybody on the project they wouldn't get much. if anything from anybody.
But since it's an open source program written by them and not being sold. Sony can not do a thing
Old 07-19-2004, 10:19 AM
x-scythe
Discordant

i totally think we should stop updating to live and perfect what we have.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Raddiux
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-scythe
/agree

With each passing patch, more crap gets broken in EQlive anyway, so why bother?
Old 07-19-2004, 11:19 AM
KhaN
Dragon

X-Scythe
Quote:
Raddiux
Quote:
/agree

Yes, stop catching up to live, this way, no newcomer will be able to join the EQEmu community, you guys should start to brainstorm why EQEmu is always trying to catch up live.

Yes, EQemu could stick to a version, this way, devs could perfect the code, but with time passing the one who patched by mistake, or the newcomers wouldnt be able to play on this "perfected code" because giving eqlive files is warez.[/b]

Old 07-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaN
X-Scythe
Quote:
Raddiux
Quote:
/agree

Yes, stop catching up to live, this way, no newcomer will be able to join the EQEmu community, you guys should start to brainstorm why EQEmu is always trying to catch up live.

Yes, EQemu could stick to a version, this way, devs could perfect the code, but with time passing the one who patched by mistake, or the newcomers wouldnt be able to play on this "perfected code" because giving eqlive files is warez.[/b]
A backpatch would naturally be supplied if we were to do this.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:27 PM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodgoth
I'm sure we could get someone who plays both EQLive and EQEmu to upload the changed files every time it is patched, therefore providing it to the community via a patcher that is run from our end.
This is warez. Cant do that. Big no-no.

Quote:
-edit-

Or... Ya know, we could just modify the old patcher and still leech off the SOE ftps.
Dont know if this is possible. Never know.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

IMHO an EQEmu client should use whatever content it can find but never crash if it's looking for something that isn't there. It should either just skip anything that's missing or fall back to something that everyone has (like in EQ classic). That way content shouldn't be too much of a problem. As people start making their own content (like zones) it should become less and less of an issue.

WC
Old 07-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Raddiux
Sarnak

What if you used a patcher program. Not like the one EQ uses, but the kind that analyses the differences between the old and new file, and only stores the differences between the two. And when you run the patch, it simply modifies the old executable with the new data to bring it up to date. At least, i think thats how these worked.
Old DOS games like DOOM and Quake used to use this type of patcher. Even UO used this I think, to save on bandwidth back when everyone had dialup. Since all you would be doing is modifying eqgame.exe and whatever else files (like a crack would), it might be safe?
Old 07-19-2004, 05:35 PM
aendaar
Sarnak

and why wouldnt SOE want to break EMU? its giving players the opportunity to download their files, for free (thats why they have the station client thing in testing) and play for free on somebody elses server, of course they would want to break it, regardless of the amount of people actually doing it, they still think they are losing money...
Old 07-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aendaar
and why wouldnt SOE want to break EMU? its giving players the opportunity to download their files, for free
They are doing this themselves. THEY are allowing us to download the trilogy free on their homepage and patch to the latest expansion.

Quote:
(thats why they have the station client thing in testing)
Can someone explain to me, does launchpad check your subscription or just the fact you have the expansion bought?

Quote:
and play for free on somebody elses server, of course they would want to break it, regardless of the amount of people actually doing it, they still think they are losing money...
They arent loosing as much money as it seems, alot of people here have EQLive Accounts. And compared to the thousands of people who play EQ we are such an insignifigant number.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:21 PM
sotonin
Demi-God

In fact, sony gained money from me. I had quit eq for 3 years.

Then i found out how far eqemulator had come, re-activated my accounts and started to collect zones.

So it's kind of funny if you think about it. =D
Old 07-20-2004, 08:22 AM
Repod
Fire Beetle

Default One thing everyone has are the original disks!!!

One thing everyone has are the original disks!!!

Why not perfect that? People can reinstall the disks to a sepparate directory for their client. If we got the server/db side working with the OOB binaries we'd be set.

-Repod
Old 07-20-2004, 11:07 AM
Grim
Fire Beetle

Yeah why not retool original? Classic/Kunark/Velious/Luclin/Yakesha/PoP/Ldon/GoD original disks no patching, just patched to what the last disk updates to.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:40 PM
bloodgoth
Sarnak

Not everyone has LoY/LDoN/GoD disks because of them also being downloadable expansions.