Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:34 PM
Gamer4life
Fire Beetle

Default Eqemu 0.7.0-992? Where to download it?

Hi, I'm interested in finding eqemu version 0.7.0-992. I found a guide online making your own server eqemu and I have all the components except this one. I know it's an older version but I don't care, as long as it works. If anyone has this version please PM directly because I tried googling it and came up empty.

The truth is what I'm really interested in is running my own server and putting it on the portable usb drive, because I travel a lot. I'm interested in my own little lan server at home as well and i know this can be done. I already have eq titanium CDs.

Please PM or reply to this thread if you can help. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:11 AM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

It won't work. You need to use the latest version or you're wasting your time.

You can do everything you want with a repack and not have to search for a really old version of the EQEmu code. Trust me, this is what you want to do.

There many guides out there. If you're reading one that says you need anything but the Git checkout of the source, you shouldn't use it.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:08 AM
Gamer4life
Fire Beetle

Default Creating a classic server

But why? Are you talking about stability issues w/ the older code? Respectfully if older version worked in the past why not now. Lots of people are still using older operating systems (like win xp)to run older programs. Besides, as you already probably know the original EQ came out in 1999. Setting up a classic server with possibly only the original 2 or 3 first expansions would be awesome, w/ kunark + velious + luclin for this experiment I would need the old code?

I know for a fact some eqemu servers are using running on the older code without a problem. Anyway here is a link the old guide I found. It's easy to follow. It even includes a section on how to setup a LAN server. I have almost all the components (on page 14), all I need is the older eqemu version.

If anyone here would kindly send me a private message about where I could find the older version or if they know somebody that has it backed up somewhere, that would be really awesome and I would be willing to share my experience on this little experiment.
Link http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com...ETUP_GUIDE.pdf
Old 07-21-2015, 07:29 AM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

I don't think you fully understand...

The EQEmu source code changes on an almost daily basis. You can probably find a bunch of old databases, or guides, or even server sources that would work. The problem with what you're asking is that you have no upgrade path. If you have a database that works with that old server source, yeah, that'll work, but you won't be able to implement anything new that the devs put out. Further, that specific version of EQEmu is ancient by open source standards.

Using a document from 2007 to setup a server is just plain stupid. There's no other way to say it. And continuing down that path and asking for the old software is just setting yourself up to fail.

Do yourself a favor and use Akkadius' repack - http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38836 - That's a real version that's way more up to date than something from almost a decade ago.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:25 AM
Demi-God

Titanium still works with the latest eqemu source... You can restrict expansions via a database variable. There is no reason for you to use older versions of the source, very detrimental and unless you have a very talented background in software development you are not going to be able to get the old source working. The latest source has various vulnerability fixes as well as features the old source does not have.

Since you want a 'classic' server:

here are a few examples of how the expansions variable plays in the titanium client:
http://wiki.eqemulator.org/i?M=Wiki&...sions_Variable

Old forum post about it:
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38826

you can also disabling certain zones by setting the 'zone' table entry minstatus to higher than what players are given. Eg. admin is usually 200 or higher.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:36 PM
Gamer4life
Fire Beetle

Image,
Wow I didn't know that expansions could be "turned off". How does that exactly work in-game? Are you not able to zone into certain zones or are the some expansions in titanium version completely disabled?? What happens if you try to zone into someplace you haven't turned on? Does your character crash or become LD or does a message pop up saying you cannot enter?

I hope you will appreciate I'm a little bit new at this. I know classic servers exist but finding guides on setting one up is extremely difficult to find.

I'm wondering what about portable eqemu servers using xampp? Does it work? Can it work as a LAN? In any case I found this old thread which briefly mentioned it. Does anyone have experience with this, along with an updated guide?? Thx
Link http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/arc...p/t-26059.html
Old 07-21-2015, 09:50 PM
Gamer4life
Fire Beetle

Image, Ok I found an updated guide how to run peq on xampp, hence making a portable version of a eqemu server?. Has anyone tried this out? Did it work? If you used this method instead, to create a classic server could you disable the undesirable expansions? Anyone have any experience with this?
Link https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/wiki...up-using-XAMPP

Also a separate thing, just wondering has anyone here created a classic server WITHOUT installing EQ titanium? No other expansions. Why can't you only use the original EQ by itself. Why use titanium version if you only need classic eq. Surely the code can't be that hard. or possibly only add the first one or two expansions.

Third, How does p1999 run their server? What code do they use? Obviously they can't be using titanium, can they?? If true, that doesn't seem to be very memory efficient for host server.....
Old 07-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Davood
Discordant

1. Server does not require client. Your server machine runs a "headless" server. IE it is running "Stuff" but it isn't graphically showing you anything. you can interact with it via CLI and other methods (putty). this isn't like a poorly made aaa title server option that offers some multiplayer options for 1-3 people and someone hosts it "from the game". this is designed more towards dedicated servers and MMO style numbers of people.

2. The original eq client was garbage, nobody wants to play with that. seriously 640x480 with viewport and shitty everything

3. you can disable expansions on the server. if you ever go through the instructions; youll notice the database part. That is where the magic happens. Simply go to variables table and there is a record there that you will be able to update to determine the expansions. keep in mind it uses bits to decide, so think powers of two and each expansion is a column, youll need to convert to decimal to make it work in the variable table.

4. this is the most important thing. you do NOT WANT THE OLD SERVER CODE. first of all
a. this code is not being developed by sony, so "good old code" doesn't exist, the old code is simply "old code" that has more bugs and isn't as compliant with "good ole eq" liek you want it to be..
b. over time we are getting closer to what the eq servers really do, this means newer code is better not worse for old school gaming, as you will be able to bring the players closer to tohe real experience
c. did i mention you dont want old code? let me give you an example. if you revert to 0.7, forget about bards and alot of weird spell effects. they simply won't work the way "good ole eq" worked. they wil be buggy as shit.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:41 PM
Davood
Discordant

5. regarding "code not being hard" for reverse engineering the classic eq client. the simple explanation is that "actually its quite hard", and there is no motivation to do it. probably due to the fact that nobody would want it or even be able to legally acquire it. (is there a common official version 0 of the eq client we can all BUY?)
Old 07-22-2015, 06:49 AM
Gamer4life
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davood View Post
1. Server does not require client. Your server machine runs a "headless" server. IE it is running "Stuff" but it isn't graphically showing you anything. you can interact with it via CLI and other methods (putty). this isn't like a poorly made aaa title server option that offers some multiplayer options for 1-3 people and someone hosts it "from the game". this is designed more towards dedicated servers and MMO style numbers of people.
1. Ah ok, so let me get this straight. You don't need any eq client installed onto the host server? Wow. So how do you install the right PEQ database for a classic eq, up to the first 3 expansions? ie, kunark, velious, luclin. That is what I'm trying to create. A classic eq server right up to Luclin. That is my goal. I think it would be awesome because it feels pretty much like classic EQ, except you have its pre-PoP expansion.

Dont get me wrong, PoK is cool but after PoP, The game radically changed . you could travel everywhere by a click of a mouse. It made norrath feel like a much smaller place and it also hurt Druids and wiz porting businesses.
At least with luclin, if you don't want to sit and wait by the boat dock, you can always go to beam up to the Nexus and sit on a telepad for 10 mins and be at the continent of your choice. I remember seeing people sit there, chat to people, people working on their trade skills, etc. But it still felt like a "world", you still needed to travel to places, it was a little adventure and when PoP came out, Sony killed that. I know some fellow gamers may disagree, but I know there are some that do agree.

That's my goal, to create a server up to luclin.

2. Another question, once you set up the server and its up and running and you later decide you don't want to run it as a LAN anymore, you successfully tested it out and stuff and you want it online, how do you create a webpage for people to create an account to play on your private server? Please PM if it's more convenient and I'll provide my email address. In any case I really appreciate the replies, as a n0obie server creator in the making, i learn a little bit more each day
Old 07-22-2015, 08:44 AM
werebat
Hill Giant

How about just disabling the PoK stones? Then you keep the new content but still have to travel to them the old fashioned way. I believe they are database driven. You could also disable the spires if you wanted to.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Davood
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer4life View Post
1. Ah ok, so let me get this straight. You don't need any eq client installed onto the host server? Wow. So how do you install the right PEQ database for a classic eq, up to the first 3 expansions? ie, kunark, velious, luclin. That is what I'm trying to create. A classic eq server right up to Luclin. That is my goal. I think it would be awesome because it feels pretty much like classic EQ, except you have its pre-PoP expansion.

Dont get me wrong, PoK is cool but after PoP, The game radically changed . you could travel everywhere by a click of a mouse. It made norrath feel like a much smaller place and it also hurt Druids and wiz porting businesses.
At least with luclin, if you don't want to sit and wait by the boat dock, you can always go to beam up to the Nexus and sit on a telepad for 10 mins and be at the continent of your choice. I remember seeing people sit there, chat to people, people working on their trade skills, etc. But it still felt like a "world", you still needed to travel to places, it was a little adventure and when PoP came out, Sony killed that. I know some fellow gamers may disagree, but I know there are some that do agree.

That's my goal, to create a server up to luclin.

2. Another question, once you set up the server and its up and running and you later decide you don't want to run it as a LAN anymore, you successfully tested it out and stuff and you want it online, how do you create a webpage for people to create an account to play on your private server? Please PM if it's more convenient and I'll provide my email address. In any case I really appreciate the replies, as a n0obie server creator in the making, i learn a little bit more each day
1. i'll let you do the analysis on whether it is feasible to create a classic server in the way you describe. you would need to edit alot of files to do that. I think its best if you just tried it rather than asking about it.
2. have you attempted to install the prepackaged peq bundle that is provided here? If not then I am not going to be motivated to answer any more questions.
3. remember this is not a piece of software made by a for-profit company. this is an open source project. it is generally accepted that if you want classic, you have to sweat a little and figure out what to remove from peq to make it a reality. hint: quests, pok stones, loads of npcs (LDON for example), and youll need to be sure to setup the expansions variable properly. and for added "classicness" (or *****ness depending on viewpoint) you can choose to omit the opcodes above titanium so that people with the newer clients can't login. What do all these words mean? (use search function to find out!)

Tags
classic eq, eqemu, lan, portable