Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:06 AM
Mortamer
Hill Giant

Default Working on just one version of eq?

Wouldnt EQEmu be much more stable, and able to grow a lot faster with the same (or less) development effort if only one version of EQ was being worked on? If you had someone else (using baron-sprites license) host a patcher then you could focus development on making current features more stable and adding new ones instead of making it compatible with the latest eqlive? You could also have a license saying that your only allowed to use the patcher if you have purchased EQ (and would already have the right to those files). I think if you had appropriate licensing a patcher hosted by a 3rd party wouldnt get you in trouble, and if sony wanted you out of the picture they wouldnt need a patcher to do it (and I doubt they'd care much about a patcher). [disclaimer]I am not asking for warez of any kind, if the mods view this post as against the rules, please delete it and I hope you don't ban me =)[/disclaimer]
Old 08-08-2004, 06:11 AM
gottasummer
Discordant

hmm scorpious2k patcher works... anyhow, yeah I agree that the current build should be worked on before anything else gets brought up like the newest eqlive stuff... allthough the algorithm can be cracked, it is possible... but... we should be concerned on the latest build, getting it to go from a DR to final, I am not an official dev, so I dont know what has been planned.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:27 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Default Re: Working on just one version of eq?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortamer
Wouldnt EQEmu be much more stable, and able to grow a lot faster with the same (or less) development effort if only one version of EQ was being worked on? If you had someone else (using baron-sprites license) host a patcher then you could focus development on making current features more stable and adding new ones instead of making it compatible with the latest eqlive? You could also have a license saying that your only allowed to use the patcher if you have purchased EQ (and would already have the right to those files). I think if you had appropriate licensing a patcher hosted by a 3rd party wouldnt get you in trouble, and if sony wanted you out of the picture they wouldnt need a patcher to do it (and I doubt they'd care much about a patcher). [disclaimer]I am not asking for warez of any kind, if the mods view this post as against the rules, please delete it and I hope you don't ban me =)[/disclaimer]
Um... There ARE patchers out there, and we ARE working on previous patches. So, I have no clue what this post is about.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:52 AM
2flare
Fire Beetle

Yes but they don't work for every version out there. New users for example cannot play. And these patchers currently available don't help. His point is clear to me, he's wants EQEmulator to be acessible to more people.

I'm not into all this technical stuff so I don't know exactly what he's explaning but if it could work, it be great :P
Old 08-08-2004, 07:06 AM
sokerflare
Fire Beetle

Actually I think his point was rather than making updates to EQemu to compensate for the patches that sony has release concentrate on making EQemu fully functional with all the little things like HT and LH fully operational. I think he is suggesting that someone else puts up a patcher and takes the risk of getting in trouble (using baron-sprites license) &lt;-- [I dont know what that means excuse ignorance] so that when new people who people who patched could play the old version of eq because its not important to keep up with the latest live patch in comparison to getting old stuff working. Its kind the same arguement people have with Sony releasing more expansions without finishing the content released with ruins of kunark.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2flare
Yes but they don't work for every version out there.
There is a patcher for DR4 and a few for DR6 (that I know of). There aren't any 5.6 non-DR servers on the login servers that I know of, and if there were I'm sure they'd have a backpatcher. If you don't have the version of EQ for the server you wish to run, well, you shouldn't be hosting a server really.

-edit- The Source Code for EQEMu is NOT fool-proof. Look at Winter's Roar, only like 1/3 of their EMu code is the original code, its all been revamped to work better. So yes, we do try to update EMu to the latest version and its not perfect, but that is kinda your job once you get it at least up. Newcomers CAN get on to EQEMu usually, but the latest patch broke most of the other backpatches. Just have patience for the new EMu to be released in the CVS.

Wait, and it will come. Or, work on the source /shrug.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:47 AM
mattmeck

This question gets asked many many times a month, I think this is the third or fourth time in the last 2 weeks its been asked.

There are a whole list of reasons why they dont do this, read back some if you want the exact reasons the short answer is

NO
Old 08-08-2004, 08:18 AM
cofruben
Old-EQEmu Developer

we need to collect opcodes from live to add new features,so we can't work in one .
Old 08-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Facet42
Fire Beetle

I think that the point Motramer is trying to get at is that there is more time spent on trying to keep the codebase compatible with the latest version of the client than is spent on fixing the various bugs / missing features. The major issue, I believe, is that no-one has written an EQEmu compatible client. IMHO, if someone wrote a compatible client then any Sony related code / protocols could be dropped and there would be no issues what-so-ever with legality.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:36 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facet42
I think that the point Motramer is trying to get at is that there is more time spent on trying to keep the codebase compatible with the latest version of the client than is spent on fixing the various bugs / missing features. The major issue, I believe, is that no-one has written an EQEmu compatible client. IMHO, if someone wrote a compatible client then any Sony related code / protocols could be dropped and there would be no issues what-so-ever with legality.
There'd also be no connection with EQLive apart from using their zone files and models.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Facet42
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwin
There'd also be no connection with EQLive apart from using their zone files and models.
Which of course can also be replaced.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:49 PM
bbum
Banned

then its no longer eqemu man.. its a new game on eq engine

when people look for this site, they want to play eq. on a free server. either legit or non-legit. i dont think anyone really comes looking for a new game on the eq engine.

because really, we blow cock at makin games. especially games as leet as eq.

wait.. whats this thread about again?
Old 08-09-2004, 02:08 AM
Mortamer
Hill Giant

Thinking about this more, I realized I was probably going about it pretty much wrong. Heres baron-sprites license to make my post make a little more sense http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16426 .