Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 07:54 AM
abaddon
Sarnak

Default Patch Question

Yeah yeah, feel free to attack me, (I notice all the other forums attack for stupid questions... this is the only one I have joined because it appears to be the most mature)

here is the deal... I have never played EQ, I dont really even CARE about the damn game ( I am waiting for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion to be released personally )

>>>BUT>>>

a friend of mine who hooks me up regularly asked me to find out if he could get something to standalone for his private LAN so he can play the game. He bought it a long while back (he has the 3-piece set (which doesnt make much sense to me its only two CDs)) he bought the game but then lost the ability to go online due to financials and so he has had it sitting there and he would like to play it.

I got your latest server emu, I downloaded everything it says to download and I am in the process of setting it up (which I am not pleased that I had to back down to MySQL 4.0.22 to do it, I design my own sites using 4.1.13 and your Emu seems to hate it) **BUT** there seems to be a lot of emphasis regarding some patch or some such thing and not to patch beyond some date or whatnot... HE cant connect to the net, he cannot download any patches... for some reason it seems like people want to call the patch a WAREZ or some crap, if they let you download it from thier server before you can even add your account information, then it HAS to be free, so it CANT be a WAREZ.

So to recap:

we have what I believe to be a rather old set of Everquest,
we have absolutely no way to hook that system up to the internet to download patches or even play against other people,
and I am completely unsure whether I **need** a patch to make this server run for him.

can someone direct me to what I need to know instead of being cryptic? if someone HAS the required patch(es) and can give em up I will host the bloody FTP to **keep them up** if you want.

get back to me

Abaddon
(PS: I have my email turned on here so members are free to email me OR PM me I dont really care which)
Old 11-22-2005, 09:47 AM
Belfedia
Demi-God

Everquest's patch:
For have a everquest patch you need to have (BUY) everquest software.
Everquest patcher deliver current only current patch and no older.
You need for eqemu client (game), the patch just before 9/13/2005.

So:
Deliver sony's patch to all is warez, because, nobody need to have the everquest software for have it.
Your friend have a legal everquest software But sony provide only files need for his client with regular account. Not old files need by eqemu and sony is only owner of this files and never distribute them free.

Rules:
You don't make forum's rules, i don't make forum's rules but forum's owners make it.
In this rules, speak or ask for a patch is forbidden. You know this (you have read forum's rules) but you break all this rules with your post and me too because i speak about them :p

Find warez is'nt so difficult but you never find it on eqemu forum.
My post don't help you for your server, but i hope this is more clear
http://eqfroggy.new.fr : Froggy French Server Website.

Last edited by Belfedia; 11-22-2005 at 06:23 PM..
Old 11-23-2005, 04:02 AM
abaddon
Sarnak

yeah I got it under control thanks though...

and no actually I *didnt* read the rules, I really dont have time for such trivial things... as I said before, I dont really care about this game I am doing it as a favor for someone that does a lot of favors for me.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:04 AM
abaddon
Sarnak

I do have a question though:

here is the deal, I used all the info here and while cavedude's installer is WAY easier and fuller than the normal download they have here, (sourceforge actually) I got the server to run either way, no sweat. when EQ boots it does the TOS then it asks you to login and abruptly after you enter username and password it drops to desktop. Is this due to the lack of the patch then?
Old 11-23-2005, 04:31 AM
abaddon
Sarnak

ok let me get this straight:

When you sign onto the real game using the real servers, they make you download a patch right? and this patch updates you to play thier game. If you use your real install and you download the patch you dont download 3gb of stuff right?

BUT, if I want to use this eqemu I have to not only get the latest patch (prior to 5/11 of course) but also EVERY patch since the CD that we have? (the Cd Set is the EQ Trilogy BTW)

Why does the EQEmu server need all that old information then? As it was explained to me, all this patch info isnt even really required by EQ, it doesnt log into your windows reg, and it isnt for the most part accessed. They cant build this on a different approach to get around the system? I mean... *IF* the eqemu is emulating a real EQ server, and a REAL EQ server has whatever info you need to run the game, why do they drop it on the eqemu downloader to go on a paperchase for the patch crap **AND** how can they have the audacity to chastise and aggro the people looking to USE thier eqemu JUST because those people are asking for FILES that the EMU **SHOULD** have?

it doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

and BTW, those files are NOT warez.. read some copyright laws guys
Old 11-23-2005, 04:33 AM
abaddon
Sarnak

(not trying to be annoying but this is all really stating to piss me off... I mean seriously, EQ isnt a tenth of what Asherons Call is, its an old game... it should be circulating in abandonwarez by now)
Old 11-23-2005, 05:22 AM
Sarepean
Discordant

The particular patch files are wares because they are owned by Sony and we don't have permission to redistribute them. That's why asking for patch files is against forum rules and can get you banned.

It sounds to me like you probably didn't set some minilogin specific things in your database.

If this game sucks that bad, why don't you go play Asheron's Call or some of the older Elder Scrolls? I particularly like Daggerfall.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:26 AM
Belfedia
Demi-God

Sorry my english is to bad for argument with you. I don't have time for that.
I like this game (last extension is on 09/13/2005 tooooo old :p) and i prefer work on my server.
I hope you can find people to discuss about warez. Good luck.
http://eqfroggy.new.fr : Froggy French Server Website.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:10 PM
RangerDown
Demi-God

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...otPatchWarning

That will tell you everything you need to know about your patch situation.

Click to read the entire thing, but I think one section from it really needs to be brought to your attention:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
and BTW, those files are NOT warez.. read some copyright laws guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me, in this wiki article
WHOOOOOA THERE!! You evidently haven't read the site's rules. Please check the sticky "Forum Rules" and "IRC Rules" in our forums.

Or if you don't check them, I'll just tell you one thing you need to know: If you're looking to get BANNED from here, there is a very easy way to do it: ask for EQ client files.

. . . and further on down . . .

I took a half semester of business law before I dropped, and I think that if you take a loophole in the wording of section 188523.49273 clause C.f.3 of the Copyright Act, and couple that with the precedent set in Vox v. Nagafen, Solusek Ro Circuit Court of Appeals, 1999 , and use the Johnny Cochran Wookie Defense, then most courts would rule that it's not actually illegal to host these files. Then you missed the part where I said it's against forum and IRC rules. Though the rule is rooted in legal concerns, it is nevertheless a rule that stands on its own. The author of this document is a channel op in the EQEmu official channel and has use the kickban on multiple occasions against those who ask for client files. If Congress were to abolish all copyright laws next week, the author would still be in that channel kicking and banning until he got word from EQEmu devs themselves that it's okay.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Sakrateri
Dragon

why does anyone even bother to post help to such an arrogant person , It is quite obvious that he is much better then anyone on these boards and as such he should need no one's help. If you cant get this all to work abaddon then perhps what you need can be found here If you cant get it to work help

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 11-26-2005, 07:27 AM
abaddon
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrateri
why does anyone even bother to post help to such an arrogant person , It is quite obvious that he is much better then anyone on these boards and as such he should need no one's help. If you cant get this all to work abaddon then perhps what you need can be found here If you cant get it to work help

Sak.. you are the arrogant one, or perhaps ignorant is a better term. Just because you have devoted your life to kissing up to the community doesnt mean everyone else has to try and be teachers pet too. The purpose of forums is to see subjects on multiple angles and learn from them all not see regurgitated posts from other people copying and pasting.

RangerDown, very interesting what you have there but note again that MOST courts, not all, if it isnt all then it isnt a defined law. as for hosting the files I am not really going to argue because as bad as everyone seems to want them it would give you a massive Bandwidth jump if you DID host them. But as for talking about them well.. seriously thats just childish really, ever heard of free speech?

sarapean - Actually if you read in my posts, I prefer Elderscrolls too, I have all releases and I am eagerly awaiting Oblivion. What I wrote in the original post is truth, I dont give a whit about EQ, in fact all the trouble it takes to set up the server is only making me hate the game more. I am setting this up specifically for a friend that wants it on his private LAN and thats all. He also wants Asheron's Call and I have access to its server files as well, but I have decided I am bot going to set it up for him til I figure out this EQ crap.

seriously.. I thought the people here were more mature than that other EQ emu site and is rather sad that the bulk of you who replied to this post are not. The only person have met on this site so far that has been a real help without being a snot-nosed brat seems to be CaveDude...

-- out
Old 11-26-2005, 12:23 PM
RangerDown
Demi-God

I'm going to assume from your statements directed at me that you didn't bother to read the wiki article. So, to recap, it's against the rules to use the eqemulator services to ask for the EQ client files, to ask for any assistance in locating such files from anywhere except official Sony distribution channels. You can also be banned for using the eqemulator services to offer such files, or using them to provide assistance in obtaining them from anywhere except official Sony distribution channels. Once again, independently and regardless of whether any copyright law is valid and enforceable, the LOCAL rule I just described is right now in full force until specifically told otherwise. Bear in mind that whether any legal claim over this issue would hold up in court is moot, because any claim would not make it that far. The emu doesn't have the money to retain OJ-quality lawyers thru 10 rounds of appeals which is what would be necessary to get that far.

I'll take a break from the rulebook just give you my advice in general: this community has, from the get-go, expected a minimum standard from anyone seeking help with server setup. As harsh as it may sound, most of this community holds a Darwinesque set of beliefs when it comes to would-be serverops. They're quite willing to help those that show an obvious attempt to help themselves. We don't want to expend our limited support time on those that want instant-working-emu on a silver platter, use up volunteer support time, then the second it's working, disappear back onto their private LAN leaving nothing to contribute to the community that just got them where they are. Now that you know that, you can make a decision on whether you want to continue to bother with this project or not. If so, best of luck to you. If not, hope life treats you well.

Peace.
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:41 PM
fathernitwit
Developer

now now children.
Closed Thread