Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 01-07-2006, 02:18 AM
gottasummer
Discordant

Default someone fucked up the wiki...

Hey,
Someone fucked up the wiki and posted the loginserver source.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:52 AM
Ghost Fire
Sarnak

Dude edit your post. Think about it.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:42 AM
gottasummer
Discordant

What?

They posted the 5.x login server... and they changed text on the frontpage of the wiki...
Old 01-07-2006, 04:02 AM
Belfedia
Demi-God

That suck...
Destroy other work is more easy than create...
I hope admin have a save about the wiki :(
http://eqfroggy.new.fr : Froggy French Server Website.

Last edited by Belfedia; 01-07-2006 at 12:05 PM..
Old 01-07-2006, 04:23 AM
solid11
Discordant

Looks to me a child has gotten upset that he couldn't figure out how to get a server up and running. Ok guys, maybe you should put "6th Grade Education Required Before Attempting Your Own Server." right on the main page.

"Yu gi's suk, yu wunt gimi warez tu bak pach mi tinga mcbob!"

I know the wisdom that be made a backup of the wiki.....cause they smart that way. =)
Old 01-07-2006, 04:32 AM
gottasummer
Discordant

lol yeah.

Or just use words they wouldnt understand...
Old 01-07-2006, 04:36 AM
Memener
Dragon

I have the story line.

http://www.rafb.net/paste/results/F56aOR50.html

This just for viewing so everone knows whats going and they dont have to keep making posts about it.
It also might be a good idea if you have anything to say on to keep it quit.
This just happend last night and the full effect has not been felt yet.

This is a very long and maybe hard for some people to read and follow. PLease if your going to reply about this make sure you have read the whole thing.

Thanks to Imageshack.us for free image hosting!
Old 01-07-2006, 06:08 AM
Memener
Dragon

Just checked and the wiki is back to normal

Thanks to Imageshack.us for free image hosting!
Old 01-07-2006, 06:33 AM
Windcatcher
Demi-God

One thing people need to understand is that there are only two EQEmu devs, and from my standpoint, they are swamped. I mean S-W-A-M-P-E-D. It's commendable that people want to make live-compatible servers, but what's really needed are more developers (or a team who will sit down and tackle the problem of writing a client once and for all, which would moot the whole problem). Many of the people who were new to this community probably don't know this but once upon a time EQEmu had many more developers than this, and that's why (at least in my opinion) that the server exists in its present form (that is, how so much progress has been made to date). Two devleopers is really something of a low water mark and it should come as no surprise that things are moving slowly. My advice is that if people really want to help (and they're not coders), then either recruit some to help this project or look at some of the other things you can do here, like creating content.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:17 AM
Demi-God

Windcatcher I don't think you have paid much attention to the reasons of why their team is so small, some of the coders are still around but they contribute nothing, other coders have been kicked off and everyone else doesn't want to join because they would probably be put in the same situation.
Member of the "I hate devn00b" club.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:41 AM
Howndawg
Banned

Well i feel bad for the ummm whats his name nick..... i may be new and no nothing but from what ti seems like is hes not getting anything in return for what he has done.....

http://support.eqemulogin.net/news.php

Well seems eqemu lost another server host =(

[~RD~ Moderator's Note: This post came from an IP that is known to be used by Nicholas/Boppoom. Additionally, I put this moderator's note on before, and it "mysteriously" disappeared, with this post showing as having been edited by Howndawg. That won't happen again.]

Last edited by RangerDown; 01-08-2006 at 01:21 PM..
Old 01-07-2006, 07:47 AM
Dr Zauis
I know how to fix that!

Default Im satisfied..

I will say it right now..I started as a total noob to the game itself as a player and still dont understand much about it. I played live for a few months till I decided to look into eqemu.
And I can honestly say all the information is on the forums and in the wiki..
It may take some time and persistance but if you dont have that in the first place then this kind of stuff probably should be left alone.

So thats a note from a very satisfied customer...
Old 01-07-2006, 07:56 AM
gottasummer
Discordant

My C/C++ skills are okay, they could be better... I will admit I keep a erm, let me check... 978 page long C++ reference book here, covering C, and C++...

I sometimes have to look through it to find the syntax of something...

I would like to help, but do not know where to start, or who to talk to.

I have been here about a year and a half before I joined the forums, I had joined because I wanted to post a topic, and couldnt as a guest, anyway... there used to be tons of servers, many devs, and it was often live-compatible, but now, sony changes more in every update, and the devs are swamped, there are only two devs, I had honestly thought there were three still...

Anyway, if any dev reads this, I think I might be able to help.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:36 AM
fathernitwit
Developer

I woule like to state that everything anybody needs to contribute is publically avaliable. The fact of the matter is that nobody has posted anything in a long time. You dont become a dev and then contribute, you are granted development rights because you have proven that you can contribute to the project.

There isnt any documentation, but to be honest, if you cannot just sit down and find your way through the code, then working on eqemu is prolly not for you. Theres over 170000 lines of code in this project, and nobody has time to explain it. At the same time, the wiki is each person's opportunity to share with others anything they learn while working in the code. It is a self-driven project, and always will be. People who show initiative on their own are the people who will get time out of the devs for help. When I got here, there was no live compat login server, so I wrote a login server before I even had a forum or irc account. I completely rewrote tradeskills and posted the patch without ever talking to a developer. That is initiative.

gottasummer, I encourage you to try to help. The advice I give to anybody wanting to help is to pick an issue on the wiki issue list, and try to fix it.

Finally, If you dont like the way this project is administered, take the source and do your own thing, but dont keep it locked up like so many others have.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:52 AM
gottasummer
Discordant

Yes, when the project was older, when there were a ton of devs, I wanted to leave and make my own project based off of EQEmu, but the problem is with the loginserver, not knowing how to make it :X

I now realize that things like this are not things that just one person can do, they are things that everybody has to do together, which is something that I often get frustrated about when someone says they will leave a project and go start a new one.

I will go read the wiki and try to fix a bug, one thing that I think would be a good improvement would be a "community-board" like thing, but I doubt EQ can do that, I have yet to see things like a dialog box and things, but maybe we could have a NPC chat dialog type thing, and then have it parse somtehing like a HTML file or somtehing... but anyway, I think I will look on the bugs page before taking up something new.