Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:14 AM
arcticangel
Fire Beetle

Question item editing through MySql

This may sound a little stupid but is there a way to create or edit items from cmd > MySql (the source\(file)\document)? like how u edit merchant? i was just curious cuz i keep running into problems with my itemcreator software.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:09 AM
sonicintuition
Hill Giant

I'll help with this the best I can. The most I've ever attempted is to edit existing items via the mysql command line. Here are some examples. The idea is to pick apart the examples to see why they work and how you can apply those ideas and methods for your own use.

To change the damage rating of an item, such as the Big Soul Devourer:
Quote:
UPDATE items SET damage=12 WHERE name="Big Soul Devourer";
Note that when entering mysql commands you don't have to capitalize the commands, I only do that for clarity. Okay, so UPDATE is the command that tells mysql what to do, as well as SET. What those do should be self explanatory. Actually that entire line should be pretty self explanatory, so I won't elaborate (unless you need me to).

Here is another example. You would enter this command to change the AC of all items that have an AC of 20 or less, to say, for examples sake, 45:

Quote:
UPDATE items SET ac=45 WHERE ac<=20;
Here, you're updating the items table, and you're setting AC. This command should also be self explanatory.

The above two lines of code are merely examples. This may not be anything near what you want to do, but hopefully they help you out some.

From what I understand, also, you're wanting to create items via the command line or via a text file. I would highly recommend, if you're creating items from scratch, to use a text file over the command line. Typing in a command to create an item would take a while and could get very confusing, where as using a text file would be much easier because you can go in and change numbers without typing out commands and such.

However, I would recommend a different method over both of these that works well for me - MySQL Front. It's the only editor I've found that is compatible with the database (you don't have to wait around for someone to make a version of an EQ editor that actually works, let alone with the current database), and it's pretty straight forward and easy to setup and use. I use it to edit items, loot tables, NPC stats and more. It's a versatile tool. Google MySQL front to find a version to download.

Good luck.

Regards,
SI
Old 04-27-2006, 09:18 AM
bloodfiendserver
Sarnak

Talking

wow that explains pretty much everything. thx
Old 04-27-2006, 03:38 PM
paaco
Discordant

You can't edit items from it, but as far as spawns, loot, NPC's, Merchants and things like that I would definately check out the PEQ Editor, thing is great. Unless your just looking to learn a thing or 2 about sql, which would also be good
Old 04-27-2006, 04:43 PM
klinzhai
Sarnak

I usually just use MySQLCC, select the table, click on the 'SQL' button (for sql queries). Then I enter:

SELECT * FROM 'items' where ac >= 75;

That brings me back a list of 196 items, then I can search for the item that I want. You can also do the following (if you know the name of the item):

SELECT * FROM 'items' where name = "Thick Basilisk Hide Shield";

Then you scroll over to whatever you want to edit and make it whatever you want it to be. The only bad thing about MySQLCC is that if you try to return more than a few thousand items it kinda bogs down. Even with the 1GB of RAM on my laptop.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Koshoji
Sarnak

What about the whole serialization thing? Can mysql do that as well? I thought that now after editing an item in the db that it has to be "serialized" to make it take effect in the game. I was told long ago when asking about this that I had to use pearl to do that but I know nothing at all about pearl.

Soooo, is there an sql statement that will serialize our edits to items in the db?
Yours in newbness,
Koshoji
Old 04-29-2006, 03:47 AM
klinzhai
Sarnak

I think they're talking about if your game is running live. Once it's up and running, it won't update the database in-game. If you reload the world.exe, then it should reload the database. Remember, if you restart the world.exe, you need to restart the zones also.

I could be wrong, but I think that's what they're talking about. You might be able to 'serialize' to reimport the items from the database while the game is running live.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:24 AM
sesmar
I built it I will Support it!

There is a file called serialize_items.pl in the utils directory of the source code. You need to run this perl script after making changes to your items in order for them show up in the game.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:13 AM
fathernitwit
Developer

serialize items is not needed with 7.0+, since we have to do it at send time to support different patches.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:49 AM
daemonreaver
Fire Beetle

Another way is with Excel.

Create a spreadsheet (I'll link the blank one) and pretty simply fill in the blanks.

There's 2 ways to use the spreadsheet. 1) Use the MyODBC driver for Office 2000 (not Office XP) and insert the entries, 2) Simply copy the rows and paste them into eq.items in Navicat.

At this time, I would suggest that you *DO NOT* try to make bags. It seems that EQ doesn't like custom bags, as it appearantly ties the IDFILE and Icon/Graphical with actual data embedded and can lock the EQ client when attempting to open the bags.

Examples of Items Created...
http://eq.boxarray.com:82/charSelect.php?char=TestGM
All of this character's gear (minus the jewelry) was made with the spreadsheet trick and Navicat.

NOTE: do not update or edit the DB with EQLauncher, World or Zone running, as they cache the item table in shared memory mode and can crash if you summon the new item.

http://gpl.boxarray.com/tempdump/EQ_Item_Maker.xls (43kb) Contains Nameless GM gear as example.

The DB on BoxArray won't be updated till tomorrow (THursday night DB mirror). The Items in the Excel spreadsheet are current and contain several Skillmods and a few changes (they are ALL/ALL for equipable and no longer attunable).

Last edited by daemonreaver; 05-03-2006 at 05:54 PM..
Old 05-04-2006, 01:04 AM
hansolojim
Fire Beetle

Default re

Thanks Sonicintuition for the info. You had exactly what I was searching for.