Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Manix25
Sarnak

Default trouble saving eqhost file

Hi,I'm having trouble saving the info I put into the eqhost file.Everytime I try it will say,file already exists,overwrite?I click yes and then it comes up cannot save,make sure file path and name is correct.
I am using vista,and am logged in as admistrator.Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Manix25
Sarnak

I tried to start to set up the game to create my own server and it is doing the same thing to me when I try to change the target under prpoperties.

Last edited by Manix25; 07-20-2007 at 05:11 PM..
Old 07-20-2007, 12:36 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

I think in Vista, the Program Files folder (and sub folders) are protected. As the local admin, you should have rights to change anything you want. Check the properties (security) of your Everquest folder, make sure you have Full Control. Then, check the files you are trying to modify, that they are not "Read Only". Right-click, properties of the file itself.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:42 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Even with admin privlages, Everything in the Program files is still protected and you cant edit using notepad or anything. The best way to do this is make a new eqhost file, edit it to reflect eqemu, save it as eqhost.txt and then cut and paste. Overwrite the old and your ready to go.

Edit : Save the eqhost to the desktop as you cant save it directly to the Everquest directory. Then cut and paste
Old 07-20-2007, 12:43 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

My God, Vista Sucks.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Damilis
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
My God, Vista Sucks.
Amen.

Took about 45 minutes of trying to install my software onto my Brandy New Hell Laptop (with vista) before I formatted the entire thing and broke out my XP Pro.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:31 PM
oghog
Sarnak

I havent even seen Vista yet, but what a PITA it sounds like. I can only imagine the amount of support calls that OS is going to cause the world.

Thanks Microsoft!
Old 07-20-2007, 04:27 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Im at a wierd middle ground between XP and Vista. I like XP, I dislike XP. I like Vista, I Dislike Vista. The same goes for all OS out there other than Mac OS as I cant formally test that.

The thing I come up with is simply this, what works best for me. And despite its massive hateting, I'm more comfortable with Vista than any other. I dual boot into openSUSE for playing around, but I spend more time in Windoze than any other OS, and the version of windows that happens to be is Vista.

I wasnt force fed it like some people that bought Dell, Gateway, HP, I "got" it on my own so I could just as easily switch back to XP at any time. I did just that a couple months ago, but I'm back on Vista. I cant say why, but this is where I am at, and where I stay. SP1 is about to come out which Isnt going to be much of anything other than a fix to ReadyBoost.

I can say with tearfull eyes that under my 4-5 Months testing Vista, that I have not had ONE SINGLE CRASH. Everything has just worked plain and simple. XP SP2 took me all of 1 week to get a BSOD due to some driver conflict, but that same version driver works fine under Vista.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:39 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

I guess my abhorration for Vista comes from me spending 3 mos this year certifying some of our company software for Vista Compliance. What a joke. The documentation is assinine, Microsofts lofty expectations are ridiculous (have to run shit as a local "least-privilege user" in order to be certified? wtf? this isn't notepad, dumbf__ks... it's an ENTERPRISE SECURITY APP DUH!)

We failed. 2 times. Finally, "hid" some issues so it would pass. shh...

Vista as a core OS is lovely. Technically speaking, it's awesome OS. But I will not use something that I cannot take complete control over.

Hmm... maybe that's why I am still single? /ponder
Old 07-21-2007, 03:24 AM
Manix25
Sarnak

Ok thanks for the help guys.I got the changes to stick eventually.Had to add full access to some files.Now,I have a new problem.I went through techguys guide on setting up a server.(thanks so much for the guide BTW)I did everything to the best of my knowledge,as accurately as I could.Now when I click on my start shortcut to begin,"wait for world to finish loading...is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.Press any key to continue."

Anyone have any idea where I might have went wrong here?Thanks for any help.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:55 AM
moydock
Discordant

Yeah I like vista, if you can put up with it taking 3 times the effort to copy/paste over files etc. Also, if you get passed it asking you for permission for everything when you first get it, it's much less annoying. And having to run games in administrator... Other than that it's been completely stable, and it's pretty ^^. Which is all i ask for.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:02 AM
Manix25
Sarnak

also if it helps,the start file,definetly was succesfully made into a batch file.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:18 AM
Manix25
Sarnak

Found a small input error that fixed that problem.I now have my server up and running,but everytime I go to log in,it will load up the world and at the moment it seems I should enter the world,it boots me back to login.Iv searched and found someone with a similar problem that was told to change the ruleset timeout values in the sql.I cant seem to find this place in the sql to change these though.Any help appreciated,thanks.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:13 AM
Manix25
Sarnak

Im succesfully in my own server.Thanks for the awesome guide techguy.Its all there,if anyone is having problems,I suggest just sticking to it and going back through every step very carefully.The smallest mistype can be causing a problem.Thanks for the help.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:05 PM
techguy84
Discordant

You forgot the world "echo" in your start.bat file didnt you.

"It's all in there" is the truth for it, and I think I put in thier a couple times to go back and triple check everything that you had to do to get the server going. It works straight out the box if done properly, the only catch I belive is with incoming connections. I did not go over what has to be done to open ports for others to connect. I can add it in there, but been kinda busy, plus my DSL router is a stupid whore that cant accept incoming connections the right way without first dropping it in the bathroom toliet for 20 minutes and then plugging it back up. Silly Speedstream peice o crap.