Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:54 AM
boogerific
Sarnak

Default Server positioning in the server select screen

It's getting tough to wade through test servers, locked servers and servers that are just jockeying for position in the server select screen while trying to find any particular server to play on. If a server's not playable, why put it in front of other servers? A body would think it's some sort of race or competition instead of an overall community. Is an alphabetical position all that bad? I know that everyone wants to build a player base, but why make the server select such a jumbled up mess? Announce your server and what sets it apart, and people will try it. Some will even stay if they like playing there.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:16 AM
Foins
Fire Beetle

Here Here would be nice if all he locked servers could be put on the bottom as well
Old 08-21-2007, 07:37 AM
techguy84
Discordant

There is only a couple solutions to that problem, since LS devs dont have control over what server ops put on there servers and wether or not it matches the title they put in.

One thing would be for you, the client, to click the pop button and sort them by there population. Another would be for the LS to sort them via locked unlocked. The only way to get a truly good server is to use the Prefered Sever List, as these servers are tried and true and have been up for some time.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Foins
Fire Beetle

I do not agree totally techguy there are a few servers the Chinese ones come to mind that have been up for over a year and aren't in tech pref list and a few that haven't been up to long paradigma for instance
Old 08-21-2007, 08:18 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

It disgusts me seeing the infantile mindsets jockeying for top billing with ```!!!![aaaAAAmySerVar is 1337!!11]... but whatever.

When I put Abyss up, I was asked to name it something specifically by players so they could find it... So I guess I was initially guilty of it as well. But you won't see me being a retard about it. ````!!!!11
Old 08-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Foins
Fire Beetle

it would be nice if there were some way to seperate all the servers into categories locked, test, open....etc
Old 08-21-2007, 01:23 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Aye, but unfortunately I do not think the Loginserver code gets touched anymore. "It is what it is" as they say. If you believe in Santa Claus and baby Jesus, who knows. Maybe there's a miracle left in this ol dust bucket.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:15 PM
boogerific
Sarnak

It wouldn't take a miracle if server ops just named their servers normally and dropped the special characters and such.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:28 PM
techguy84
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foins View Post
I do not agree totally techguy there are a few servers the Chinese ones come to mind that have been up for over a year and aren't in tech pref list and a few that haven't been up to long paradigma for instance
Well, its not a automatic process. The devs must add that server to the list manually. Now a day though, as John said, the LS doesnt really get touched that much. It works sometimes, and some people it works all the time so there not bothering with it at the moment.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:56 AM
TheLieka
Developer

I'll be happy to remove the '[Team PvP/Legit] from my server name. It came as a suggestion from some of my playerbase, but I felt like an asshole when I did it anyway. It won't kill people to scroll down the list.

Dax

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 08-22-2007, 05:00 AM
leslamarch
Discordant

I would think that server position has nothing to do with population anyway, If its a great server people will find it. Just my thoughts
Old 08-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Ueguvil
Hill Giant

Hell seeing a server named !!!!!!```'[fun server] makes me want to play there even less.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:09 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLieka View Post
I'll be happy to remove the '[Team PvP/Legit] from my server name. It came as a suggestion from some of my playerbase, but I felt like an asshole when I did it anyway. It won't kill people to scroll down the list.
My story exactly, Dax. I abhor that childishness, but was trying to be a good newbie admin to a pre-existing server. I didn't get a eqemu_config.xml with the DB, so I didn't even know it's short name.

And yes, I walked, uphill, both ways, in my bare feet, in the snow, carrying that server.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:18 PM
TheLieka
Developer

I felt an instant karma increase when I finally got around to rebooting the server (we've had pretty damn good uptime thus far).

I strongly suggest joining the world of the post-pubescent to any other ServerOps out there that are still running the !$$@%%'''Hi Mah Srvar Rawx [Wuteva] login server tag. You'll be able to speed through a few extra redlights after you do it too! (results may vary)

Dax

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 08-26-2007, 03:45 PM
boogerific
Sarnak

Kudos to you guys for letting your servers list as normal... ...And now there's the Jest 3 test server in position 1, sitting there locked and useless to everyone. They're already on the preferred server list. What's the point of wanting everyone on the Emu to have to scroll past that server? Who are they trying to impress? /sigh

Last edited by boogerific; 08-26-2007 at 11:50 PM..