Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Asphixiate
Sarnak

Default New & Different - Legit Progression Server

I started creating this server as a fun experiment, but I have ended up having more fun working with it than I had initially thought. So, I am thinking of launching this as a public server in hopes of having a growing and active player base. I am curious how much interest their would be, as I know there are other progression servers available right now. Read on and see how mine offers a slightly different take on the progression server.

Lets start with the scope and name of the server, what expansions are we talking about?

Name

Ascent

But more than just a name, a meaning. A rise or ascension up the ladder of expansions, a rise to power.

Include:

• Classic
  • Kunark
  • Velious
  • Luclin
  • PoP
  • GoD
  • OoW

I don't care what you say, I thought raid content in each and every one of these expansions to be superb.

Now as for other some aspects of these expansions, they can be dealt with. For example, PoK books! I do not plan on using this system. Books will be disabled and an alternate system will be put in its place. You will ALWAYS have to do some running.

As far as flagging goes, I will support it 100% if it is at all possible given a relatively small player base.

Throw out:
  • LoY
  • LDON
  • DoN
  • DoD

Trash, trash and more trash. Good bye.

At launch:
  • Classic + Kunark
  • PVE Only
  • Max level = 60
  • Exp rate = 50%*
  • Group Bonus = 60%*
  • Hot Zones (To encourage population concentration)
  • Slightly increased mana regeneration*
  • NO corpse runs
  • Exp loss at level 10
  • Raid mobs balanced for 12-24 people
*These values are subject to change*

Now let me clarify that this is not hardcore, xxx CLASSIC. This is using the PEQ database, more or less, as is. We are not going to extreme measures to ensure a 100% classic experience, the point of this server is progression, not to dwell on the past.

If you want a purely classic experience, I suggest you look in to www.eqclassic.org or http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24628

If you want a classic PVP experience, check out http://www.pwnedemu.com/

We are different in that, we will be including more expansions, this will NOT be classic forever! Also, we are excluding certain expansions, due to personal opinion!

Transportation

I have enabled Nexus Scions to be able to port you to all the other Scions, as well as an additional zone.
  • Dreadlands
  • North Karana
  • Greater Faydark
  • Toxxulia
  • Field of Bone (for the lizards)

The point of this is to allow some ease of travel, but not make it PoK like. We want you to be able to relatively easily meet up with your friends. You might still have to hoof it a few zones, but this will help.

Progression

The server's progression rate depends on two things. The rate at which players kill certain mobs, and the development of the PEQ database.

If players are able to chew through content so fast that they catch up to the PEQ database, progression will be slowed down by management. Let me repeat that we are highly dependant on the rate at which PEQ is developed. PEQ is currently almost done with PoP, as I understand it.

Let it be known that defeating PoHate and PoFear will NOT be required. Some may argue that you will have to do these zones to complete Kunark. So be it. However, if you can fulfill my Kunark requirements without having killed Inny or Cazic, great! Velious will be unlocked.

A complete list of key mobs will be released at a later time.

Server Type

This is a LEGIT server, cheating will not be tolerated, period. We will come down hard on anyone caught doing anything unethical. Use common sense.

If the server has a strong following at the conclusion of OoW, I plan to begin adding fully custom content on to follow it. So don't fret, if you are having a wonderful time, this server is not restricted to a few expansions.

Hosting

I will be using a spare computer at home unless there is an overwhelming demand and player base wanting in. In which case I will surely put down some cash for a Dedicated server. I will most likely take donations at that time to cover the expense, possibly offering slight rewards for those who contribute.

Staff

If successful I may look for a dedicated coder and world builder/quest writer for custom content. However, this would be far in the future.

Website

A website will be developed, pending any interest.

Conclusion

This server would offer a complete everquest experience, including all of the major content expansions from Kunark to Omens of War. Minimal, effective use of teleporters, 50% increased experience, and no corpse runs make this not a complete time sink, however you will have to work for your character and level. We are not handing you level 60 or gear on a silver platter.

I'm sure I'm missing something, let me know what you think, fire off questions, is there any interest in playing on this? If so, I may take in a few beta testers to solidify experience rates.

ascent.eqemu@gmail.com - for questions/comments you do not want to post.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:39 AM
miotch
Sarnak

Location: Conveiniently located in your grocers frozen food isle.

i never considered LoY trash. while it was a tiny expansion i have spent alot of time there. In my opinion, it was better than some of the later "shovel ware" SoE slopped out for us.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Alby
Fire Beetle

Having some trouble connecting to Ascent. I can connect to all other servers without any problem, but Ascent freezes up at server select, then eventually boots me back to the account login screen after a few minutes.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Alby
Fire Beetle

On a side note, legitimate progression sounds like a blast.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:21 AM
RCPD0715
Sarnak

Yeah, I think it is not set up properly for public use....check your ports
Old 04-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Asphixiate
Sarnak

It's not quite open to the public. Just polishing up a few last things, I will post when it is open for business. If I had to guess, I'd say it should be ready by 4/21. Stay tuned.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Asphixiate
Sarnak

Also, I am adding random noob loot items to mobs 1-20, possibly 1-30, due to the scarcity of items in these ranges. Let's face it, it's no fun running around in a cloth tunic and rusty sword for 30 levels. This will add some excitement in the low level game, as you will be able to progress your character with more than a DING. There will be particularly rare items as well, beyond the general armor sets, as something to hope for.

The random loot will discontinue starting at level 20 or 30, so do not expect this as a theme of the server, it is merely to add a bit more fun and playability to the the low level game.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Asphixiate
Sarnak

Server is more or less ready for play. We have a few active players that have started. Currently I am just working on the spell scriber to do what I want it to do, and then they will be enabled to scribe spells up to level 50 only!

Currently waiting to see how many more show up before I buy a dedicated server, so join up and make me buy one!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:26 PM
p8654
Fire Beetle

Sounds good I will join up today. I am looking for the semi classic experience without it being such a time sink. Better lower level loot, increased experience rate and raids tuned for small groups are what I like to see.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:00 PM
hobbe1991
Fire Beetle

i will play here
Old 04-22-2008, 05:59 PM
happygreenelf
Fire Beetle

Me and my friends play on this server its fantastic , just like the good old day
Old 04-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Estrang
Sarnak

What does no corpse runs mean? Can clerics/paladins not ressurect and you are forced to run from bind point?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:36 AM
happygreenelf
Fire Beetle

no rez works you just dont lose your gear on death
Old 04-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Asphixiate
Sarnak

We have forums set up here: http://www.createforum.com/ascentemu/

Website is in development.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:58 PM
nem2020
Fire Beetle

I recently joined this community, and read about this server.
Considering i would be starting fresh, and such i figured i'd give it a try.
So far i've enjoyed myself on the server, progression is well paced, and levels are coming along smoothly on my toons.

People are friendly and GM's are fairly prompt about getting issues fixed if you need them.

If you haven't checked it out already, give it a look. Might like it.