Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Mahoney
Fire Beetle

Default Angelox's Minilogin Classic Server, and 2 IP's behind router.

Here's the deal, me and my little brother are behind the same router, and I can't zone without disconnecting my little brother. Is there any way to get past this? Can I use a proxy?

Thanks in advance,
Mahoney
Old 04-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Mahoney
Fire Beetle

I can't seem to find an edit button, sorry, but I was in a rush when I made this post. I will go into it with more detail now.

I am trying to play on Angelox's Minilogin Classic Server, which plays fine until my little brother plays with me. This is the only way he can get in with me: I go in the game fully (in-game, freeport), then he logs in and gets in game. Then, the problem is, if I zone, my little brother gets disconnected, and after I zone, I change into his character. I am thinking this will be fixed if I try to log in with a proxy, and I am willing to lose my character just to be able to play with my little brother smoothly. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,
Mahoney
Old 04-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Theeper
Discordant

Are you sure they both have different IP's ? That is exactly what happens when you 2-box using MiniLogin with one IP, and I think some NAT'd setups do the same thing.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Mahoney
Fire Beetle

Ah, just whatismyip.com'd it, we both have the same ip address according to that site. Is there any way to get past that?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

I understand all works well, so long you don't zone - when you zone, you have to register, the name of whoever is zoning before, that sets the database to match the name of the zoner.
Example; charactera loggin in, you set ip to his name at the web log in - then characterb was set and he logged in. So for the effects, the log in thinks only characterb (last one in) is there, and won't see the mistake tell you zone (it crashes).
Try zoning last character that used the web/ipfix then set the ip to the first one before you zone.
We just use that site for working on new stuff, but will keep your characters if you or anyone else is playing. Qadar uses two characters all the time from outside my LAN so you can also ask him, he knows more about it.
But just so you know, game play will be as was in classic, and zones past Kunark are closed.

Last edited by Angelox; 04-16-2008 at 02:59 AM..
Old 04-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Mahoney
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the information, man, and your server is great. Thanks for hosting it
Old 04-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Qadar
Fire Beetle

I use two accounts on his server from the same PC, therefore the same IP. The trick is, like Angelox said, to use the web/ipfix to login the character you want to zone. Only the current account logged in is able to zone. I can use both accounts flawlessly like this, up until I forget to go log in the character I am zoning, and find myself back at the character selection screen for the wrong account. Also, the "/who all" command seems to only work for the account thats currently logged in with the web/ipfix login.

What I do is to do is keep the login webpage up in the background, switch to it and log in every time I zone. It was a a minor annoyance at first because I kept forgetting, but I got used to it quickly.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:33 PM
circuitdragon
Sarnak

just a thought, for those not running 2 accounts on the same PC...my reasoning here seems sound, and should work...but what about using an IP masking program...such as GhostSurf? That should be enough to make the server think some one is using a different IP while behind a firewall. Unless I am mistaken... ? I've used it before to play some online game with the wife, and we needed IPs that did not match...just a thought
Old 04-16-2008, 08:54 AM
erik_llewellyn
Sarnak

if you are running windows XP Pro, you can setup a VPN server on your EQ server computer and let 1 outside "LAN" into your LAN via IPTunneling. this will allow them to get an IP address based on your LAN as well as access anything you share out on your private network. Thru this you can connect as many outside computers as your subnet and IP scheme allows as long as all those using the VPN tunnel are all on the same LAN at the remote location.

Another intersting concept, but it causes increasing delay per hop, is taking the above idea and "daisy chaining" VPNs to connect as many networks as you like. The reason you have to daisy chain is because XP Pro only allows 1 VPN server connection per computer. I have used this method for 3 connections allowing my friends to play call of duty4 on my "lan" while sitting in thier homes. at 2 hops for for the last "lan", he had around a 150 ping.

To draw a diagram of it:

LAN1
-Comp1(EQ server and VPN server) --|
...............................................Rou ter-------------internet cloud
-Comp2-----------------------------|

LAN2
-Comp1(VPN server and VPN client into LAN1)--|
.................................................. ..........Router---internet cloud
-Comp2--------------------------------------|

LAN3
-Comp1(VPN client into LAN2)--------|
...............................................Rou ter------------internet cloud
-Comp2-----------------------------|
Old 04-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Mahoney
Fire Beetle

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, make the server see both computers as different ip addresses so we don't have to go through that ipfix every zone.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Mahoney
Fire Beetle

Default Possible?

So, will this be possible? I am running vista, and my little brother is running xp. Will it work with his Classic Server? If so, can you please enlighten me how to.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:36 PM
erik_llewellyn
Sarnak

First off, are you or a friend hosting the server or are you planning on playing on Angelox's? If you/friend are hosting it, then you should be able to provided the EQ server is running XP pro and installs/sets-up the windows built-in VPN server. If you are planning on playing on angel's, you are SOL unless he decides to setup a VPN server for you to access his network...
Old 04-19-2008, 05:40 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

What I have is under Linux, still could be done, but I really have the server for quick access to testing work we do for the Rathe Server. When I move all the work to Rathe, I'll move your accounts/characters too, so you can play there with no problems.
I just have a DSL connection here at the house - it's supposed to be a "great" one with extra upstream bandwidth, but I've seen the connection get crappy after 6-7 users hook up. Rathe is commercial, will work fine there.
We haven't moved all the new work there, it's a big change ( I need the time), and when we do, I want to have all of TheLiekas anti-cheat features in place and working.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Mahoney
Fire Beetle

If the Rathe is under the login server, I wouldn't be able to connect to it, because for some freaky reason everyone in this house can't connect to it. It is correctly configured, and everything. I set up the login server for my friend, and it worked fine with him, so I know I was configuring it right. I port forwarded 5998, and 5999, but I can only connect to minilogin, no servers show up on the server list for 5998. I can log in under my account, but no servers, then after a minute or two, ERROR: timeout occurred.