Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:47 PM
jimbox114
Hill Giant

Default Editing Factions

Are there any working Faction editors out there? I did a search for them and downloaded a older tool but it does not seem to work (pretty sure it was a outdated tool).

My knowledge with Mysql command lines is pretty much non existent. Hopefully that is not the only way to edit them. Using other editors I know how to assign npc's a faction, but I don't know how to tell what number is what faction. Same thing with quests I can see how to award faction, but once again not knowing what numbers = what faction it doesn't really help.

What I would like to do is take a faction that everybody starts out indifferent with and change the name and use it for my main city faction. Far as other KOS factions go 1 generic hates everybody faction would work for most dungeons, at least at this point.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM
jimbox114
Hill Giant

Could really use some tips if anybody has them. Don't really want to do alot of work right now as I am afraid I might be going back and editing every single npc I have added to the game.

Is there at least a list somewhere that tells you what number = what faction? that would at least be a start for me.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:12 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Yeah there's a list. It's called the Wiki, or a better source is the database tables with the word "faction" in them. You have to be able to do something with MySQL, or you wouldn't be running a server.

My favorite tool to use (still) is the Apache-based web tool "PEQEditor". Find it at the official PEQ site. Don't ask how to set it up, because if you do not have a decent understanding of Apache and PHP, it will be a waste of your time. Be aware PEQEditor hasn't been updated in a while, but if all you are editing is factions, you might be ok.

However, be warned... from experience in the past, when you edit factions (add, remove, reassign), be sure you restart your World and Zones, lest your zones go into a deathloop of crashing constantly. There's usually an associated error in the zone debug log "cannot load factions!" etc.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:58 PM
trevius
Developer

You can always try using Navicat. It makes editing Mysql simple and straight forward. Once you look at your faction tables, they are pretty easy to understand. But, ya I think you need to restart your server to get new factions to take. You don't need to edit an existing one, cause it is pretty easy to just create a new one.

If you edit an existing one, there is a chance that it is probably used on another NPC and could therefore potentially be used to cheat on your server. Like, if you used the faction for orc pawns, and changed it to a new faction name, the orc pawns would all still be set to use that same old ID. So, if you have to kill something high level on your server to gain faction you modified, players might eventually figure out that they can just kill orc pawns instead.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:27 PM
jimbox114
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
You can always try using Navicat. It makes editing Mysql simple and straight forward. Once you look at your faction tables, they are pretty easy to understand. But, ya I think you need to restart your server to get new factions to take. You don't need to edit an existing one, cause it is pretty easy to just create a new one.

If you edit an existing one, there is a chance that it is probably used on another NPC and could therefore potentially be used to cheat on your server. Like, if you used the faction for orc pawns, and changed it to a new faction name, the orc pawns would all still be set to use that same old ID. So, if you have to kill something high level on your server to gain faction you modified, players might eventually figure out that they can just kill orc pawns instead.
I downloaded Navicat and it does seem to work well. However I don't really have the desire to spend $95 in 30 days for the software. I don't suppose there is a legal freebie version or something else similar to it somewhere?

I tried to do some faction work and it has gotten me nothing. I first tried to make my own faction. I made a general Guard faction (485) and assigned it to a couple of guards. Rebooted and conned them and they were still indifferent, which is fine. I then killed them and it didn't show any faction loss.

So I then tried to edit a existing ones. I have no intentions of using certain zones, so I don't think I will have to worry much about cheating. I found the faction for gloomingdeep. I assigned it to a enemy and it showed them apprehensive to me. I killed them and lost faction with Frogloks of Guk. I tried a couple of other KOS factions and same deal. Its like the ID's showing in navicat are off.

Far as making a new faction goes I have no idea what mods I need to do. I would assume the first mod would have to have to do with what level faction your with, but the dozens of mods past that I have no idea.

What do you have to do to get a new faction to go down when you kill a npc on it??
Old 08-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Striat
Sarnak

peq editor is very nice for alot of things including faction editing. Go to projecteq.net for the link. For apache/php install, check their sticky. I recommend the internetmaster link personally.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:11 PM
jimbox114
Hill Giant

I have tried to use the peq editor but it is just too difficult to get running. I give up. I did everything step by step and when I go to test it per the instructions it doesn't work. I don't understand why this editor can't be like the rest where you just download and install it and run it. Why the need for all this apache and php?

I know I am not the most experienced person when it comes to programming etc. However 3 or 4 years ago I had a pretty popular server and I was able to do all of this stuff then. I don't remember what editor it was I used, although I could swear it had something to do with PEQ. However I was able to do everything I needed to do without having to resource my database or install PHP or install appache etc etc.

The only two things that ruined my server at the time was the item vanishing bug and my connection was not set up fast enough to keep players from going LD.

I had some really neat ideas for a server, but it has just become to complected. Every time I solve one problem 2 more pop up. I still can't figure out how to remove certain spells, can't figure out how to remove all the zones to POK, can't get my zoning to work properly, and of course factions don't do anything.