Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:10 PM
JumpDroog
Fire Beetle

Default eqgame.exe problems

Im having trouble changing the eqgame.exe file extension to add patchme
it says its not a valid path any ideas?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:16 PM
rabidpotatochip
Fire Beetle

Is the path inside quotes with patchme outside said quotes?

"c:\program files\sony\everquest\eqgame.exe" patchme

Assuming that's the directory EQ is installed to, it should work if you copy that line directly into the shortcut.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:11 PM
JumpDroog
Fire Beetle

heres my problem!
this is what it says when i try to add patchme to target window
Problem with shortcut- The name "c:\programfiles\Everquest\everquest.exe"patch me specified in target box is not valid, make sure path and file name are correct
Old 12-10-2008, 04:17 PM
rabidpotatochip
Fire Beetle

Here are my guesses:
  • Program Files should be two words
  • Default install is to c:\program files\sony\everquest, not c:\program files\everquest, though it's entirely possible you used a different directory for your install. I'm assuming you used the default.
  • patchme is one word
  • You'll need a space between the closing quote and patchme

I'm assuming it's more likely to be the last problem. I know it seems like a stupidly minor thing, but it does matter.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Andrew80k
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpDroog View Post
heres my problem!
this is what it says when i try to add patchme to target window
Problem with shortcut- The name "c:\programfiles\Everquest\everquest.exe"patch me specified in target box is not valid, make sure path and file name are correct
If the one you have pasted here is the one you are using it is incorrect. patchme is one word and there should be a space between the last quote and the word patchme.

EDIT: If the one in the post above is not the one you are using then paste that one and we can take a look.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Xandufar
Fire Beetle

I'm having a similar problem.

When I try to add this:

C:\Games\eqemulator\eqgame.exe" patchme

I get an error message reading:

"The name 'C\Games\eqemulator.exe"patchme"' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct.

When I add this:

C:\Games\eqemulator\eqgame.exe " patchme

The changes are accepted. However, when I double click on my modified shortcut, the game apparently tries to start, then aborts.

Note the difference:

C:\Games\eqemulator\eqgame.exe" patchme
C:\Games\eqemulator\eqgame.exe " patchme

I can't get started either way.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:32 PM
trevius
Developer

Try these:

Code:
"C:\Games\eqemulator\eqgame.exe" patchme
or

Code:
C:\Games\eqemulator\eqgame.exe patchme
You can't just have a single double-quote in the line, you have to have 2 of them. The quotes are used for paths that have spaces in them. Since your path doesn't have a space, you don't really need the quotes at all.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Xandufar
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Try these:

Code:
"C:\Games\eqemulator\eqgame.exe" patchme
or

Code:
C:\Games\eqemulator\eqgame.exe patchme
You can't just have a single double-quote in the line, you have to have 2 of them. The quotes are used for paths that have spaces in them. Since your path doesn't have a space, you don't really need the quotes at all.
Okay, I started over. I nuked everquest, reinstalled it, and went through the steps all over again. I ended up on the SOE server, because my eqemulator login did not work. I ended up dowloading SOE's long-ass update. I went back and changed the EQhost text file, and got to the point where I could see the eqemulator server options, but I still couldn't start the game.

I nuked and reinstalled a second time. I stopped the reinstallation process before it went to the long-ass SOE download. Each time, I put quotes on both sides of the .exe command and got the "patchme" thing right. This time, I couldn't start the game at all. It just tries to start and aborts right after I hit the shortcut. LOL.

If you are confused, so am I. LOL. I must be computer challenged.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 AM
trevius
Developer

When you are installing, it shouldn't even be getting to a point where it updates. Are you sure you are running a legal copy of EQ TITANIUM? No other versions work.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Xandufar
Fire Beetle

Quote:
When you are installing, it shouldn't even be getting to a point where it updates. Are you sure you are running a legal copy of EQ TITANIUM? No other versions work.

I have only EQ Chronicles. I bought it a couple years ago, only to discover that my pc was not capable of running it. I recently bought a new pc, and decided to try it. It ran on Sony's server no problem. I thought I would be able to get away with playing it on a private server. Oh well.

I need a "legal" copy of Titanium? Something like this won't work?

Trevius Edit: Removed Illegal Link

Last edited by trevius; 12-30-2008 at 03:27 AM..
Old 12-29-2008, 07:28 PM
trevius
Developer

Illegal files and links are not allowed here and will not be supported. Even discussing them is grounds for banning.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Xandufar
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Illegal files and links are not allowed here and will not be supported. Even discussing them is grounds for banning.

Well, I've been checking around. It seems the only place I can get Titanium is used on Amazon. An employee at the biggest video game retailer in my area just told me it's discontinued. Any suggestions?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

eBay was the best and cheapest source last time I checked.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:33 PM
jtcoyle
Fire Beetle

Default Not the right path

If you are receiving this message it is because eqgame.exe is not in the path that you have listed in your shortcut.

You should be able to do a properties on your shortcut and select "find Target" If you receive a message that the target can not be found, then the path is incorrect. When I installed Titanium, the default install path was "C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest"

You can always do a search for eqgame.exe and the search will list all paths for that file. You then can use that path in your shortcut as discribed in the instructions.

You can also browse to the folder containing eqgame.exe and right click on it and select "Send To\Desktop (Short Cut)" This will create a shortcut to eqgame.exe on the desktop. You then will need to right click the shortcut and edit the path and add patchme to the end with a space after the last quote.

My shortcut path is "C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest\eqgame.exe" patchme

Hope this helps.

Dark Wing
Old 12-30-2008, 07:44 PM
jtcoyle
Fire Beetle

I forgot to mention that you should also double check that you have edited your eqhost.txt file with the correct host name and port of the server you want to connect to. It should not be trying to connect to an EverQuest live server.

Dark Wing