Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:08 PM
trevius
Developer

Default Hotmail Password Recovery Issues

I have confirmed that hotmail.com is now blocking 100% of emails from eqemulator.net every since the password reset script was ran. This issue did not exist before then, because I have confirmed with multiple users that were able to reset their password properly on eqemulator.net just a day or 2 before the reset script was ran.

It is my guess that hotmail saw a flood of possibly thousands of emails coming from webmaster@eqemulator.net to their hotmail users and some auto spam blocker was set off that completely blocks all emails from either webmaster@eqemulator.net or the entire eqemulator.net domain.

This means that no one who uses hotmail will be able to recover their forums account password until this issue is resolved. I imagine that almost everyone who has reported an issue with getting the password reset emails is using hotmail. If you are not using hotmail and are not getting the email either, then maybe your email provider is doing the same thing as hotmail. I know for sure that gmail works fine. Unfortunately there is no way for users to switch their email address to a different one at this time.

The thing is that this shouldn't be all too hard to resolve. Someone (not me) who uses hotmail will need to contact Microsoft to get this auto-block of the eqemulator.net domain removed so you all can get emails again. Then, people will be able to use the lost password recovery option to recover their passwords as they should. I tried looking around hotmail a bit, but I see no way to report a legit email that is being auto-blocked. I imagine that there has to be some way to do it though, so if someone can figure it out and get it corrected, please reply here saying that it is fixed so other people can start getting their passwords reset.

Also, just to be clear, I tried adding webmaster@eqemulator.net as a contact in my old hotmail account and even added the eqemulator.net domain to my safe list of senders so they shouldn't be blocked, but they still are. So, they are getting blocked on the way into hotmail.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:18 PM
whiteone
Fire Beetle

Look's like you have to go through http://windowslivehelp.com now for issues with hotmail. I've already submitted a post about the issue but i think the more people that post up the better since it's a post type system and not really a ticket system.
If i could find a number i would just give them a call.

Xinu
Old 03-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Iwasseridium
Fire Beetle

Crazyness!

I have no clue how to email hotmail to fix this error when i goto the above link i get errors signing in to hot mail log in server, I just want my account back can I give you a new email to reset it to> if so pm me please.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Skrimazo
Fire Beetle

Damned hotmail.

Are there any options for users to change their e-mail accounts associated? Probably not without being able to log in.

I tried adding the webmaster@eqemulator.net to my contact list to see if that would get the e-mail sent through.

Could the admin staff perhaps rewrite the script and send the e-mail out through a dummy gmail account temporarily set up for this service, perhaps? I'm not a coder, but I have an image of going into a document, using a find and replace function to pull out "webmaster@eqemulator.net" and replacing it with "EQEMUtemppasswordrecovery@gmail.com", then hitting "run."
Old 03-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Skrimazo
Fire Beetle

http://windowslivehelp.com/community...377.aspx#82377
Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 PM
kgb
Fire Beetle

Default Windows Live

I added a post on Windows Live to try and get some info. Perhaps it'll help.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 PM
trevius
Developer

I went ahead and added a post there as well. Probably the more they see from there users, the quicker they can get it verified and resolved.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Skrimazo
Fire Beetle

Could someone perhaps comment on the possibility of this idea?

Quote:
Could the admin staff perhaps rewrite the script and send the e-mail out through a dummy gmail account temporarily set up for this service, perhaps? I'm not a coder, but I have an image of going into a document, using a find and replace function to pull out "webmaster@eqemulator.net" and replacing it with "EQEMUtemppasswordrecovery@gmail.com", then hitting "run."
Maybe I'm cynical; but WindowsLive is a rather large organization and I'm not sure how quickly or able they will be to resolve this problem.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Everquester1
Fire Beetle

Due to this and other issues, we really need a way to change the e-mail associated with our login accounts. I have many login accounts and play eqemu almost daily, and have lost the email names associated with several logins. Due to this, im missing info on 3 accounts. Dont know what to do about it.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Mcbaine3
Fire Beetle

Yeah were all pretty much in the same boat bro.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:24 PM
trevius
Developer

I highly doubt the script will be ran again just for hotmail users. It was annoying enough the first time and the more mass mailing it does, the more likely it is to get blocked by even more email systems.

There aren't many options that we have from the eqemulator.net end. Any blocked email issues would have to be resolved on your end. Personally, I used hotmail from the very beginning of it before MS bought it. It was really great then. Every since MS took over, it has been down hill. I just re-enabled my 10 year old hotmail account and within 1 day, I already had 5+ spams in my actual inbox... I haven't even used that account in years other than to check it occasionally for emails of things I used it for to sign up with. I moved to Gmail when it first entered beta and have never even once considered going back to hotmail for any reason. Gmail is amazing for so many reasons, but I am not going to go over them here. I hate to put down an email service, and I know these forums are not the place to discuss this type of thing. But, if you all were using gmail to begin with, you wouldn't be in this type of situation :P

It really amazes me, that my hotmail account got 5 spam emails directly to my inbox in less than 1 day of use and yet they block the only legit email I was hoping to come to that inbox! How much worse could it get? Gmail never has issues like that. It is extremely rare that an actual spam reaches my inbox, and I have never once missed an email that was sent to me legitimately.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Mcbaine3
Fire Beetle

Um. Well my original passwords are working now. The login server accounts that is. Sweet.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:43 PM
redghosthunter
Fire Beetle

So.... what are we to do if msn is not accepting EQ emu password reset, emails? Ive updated my yahoo.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Mcbaine3
Fire Beetle

For now you should be able to play using your old passwords. Mine and my friends are all working for us and I havent received any emails or anything. I dont care about the forum account really so I just made a new one.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Skrimazo
Fire Beetle

Yep; so now we have a weird dichotomy where we can play EQ on our old passwords that are possibly unsecure and accesible by someone else, but we can't get into our accounts to change the password until we change the e-mail accounts associated with those passwords. Bizarre, but at least we can all still play, sort of.

Quote:
I highly doubt the script will be ran again just for hotmail users. It was annoying enough the first time and the more mass mailing it does, the more likely it is to get blocked by even more email systems.
What about replacing the e-mail account that sends out the passwords when they are requested to something not from the eqemulator.net domain? It's not likely to to get it blocked; since it will be a trickle as hotmail users request their passwords.