Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Corysia
Fire Beetle

Question EQEmu on Mac OSX?

Has anyone done this? Given that it'll run on Linux and Win, 90% of the porting is probably taken care of.

I've an old Mac Mini I was thinking of trying to set a server up on. I thought I'd ask first to see if anyone's tried or what kinds of problems they've seen.

I'm sure it can be done, I'm just wondering if it would be of any interest to anyone besides me.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:29 PM
HnathBST
Sarnak

The hardest part would be getting all the dependencies. I had the same problem trying to get eqemu to run on centos. It also seems, no matter how hard I try I can't get the login server to run.

I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be possible but it would be time consuming. The question here is why? If there is a reason you specifically need to use centos than I say give it a shot.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Vexyl
Hill Giant

You should have no problems as long as you have the dependencies and EQEmu is byte-order independent (Not really sure).

Edit: See http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/arc...p/t-26549.html and http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/arc...p/t-18759.html

Last edited by Vexyl; 09-23-2013 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Provided links
Old 09-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Vexyl
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HnathBST View Post
The hardest part would be getting all the dependencies. I had the same problem trying to get eqemu to run on centos. It also seems, no matter how hard I try I can't get the login server to run.

I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be possible but it would be time consuming. The question here is why? If there is a reason you specifically need to use centos than I say give it a shot.
OP said Mac OS X, not CentOS.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:40 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Send me an Intel Mac and I can try to make it work :P
Old 09-23-2013, 02:56 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexyl View Post
You should have no problems as long as you have the dependencies and EQEmu is byte-order independent (Not really sure).
All Intel based Macs, including the Mac Mini, are little-endian, so that wouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:21 PM
HnathBST
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexyl View Post
OP said Mac OS X, not CentOS.
I was merely speaking from experience. I know that eqemu is built around packages for Debian and Fedora (and obvisiously windows). That said the login server dependencies are ONLY compiled for Debian/Fedora/windows, so there is no chance in getting a private login server running.

Just because Mac osx isn't centos doesn't mean you won't face the same hardships. If you re-read my post you'll also see that I said it will probably run, just won't be as easy as running it on Debian/fedora/windows.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Vexyl
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HnathBST View Post
If there is a reason you specifically need to use centos than I say give it a shot.
I was referring to that sentence since it implies that you thought the OP was using CentOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst2112 View Post
All Intel based Macs, including the Mac Mini, are little-endian, so that wouldn't be an issue.
Oh, I didn't know the Mac Mini was intel based. Thanks for clearing that up for me
Old 09-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Corysia
Fire Beetle

Ok, I think I'll give it a shot. I've not set up a server for a few years, so i plan to walk thru the windows setup first and get that up and running to remember how it's done.

I've mostly moved away from using Windows. I dual-boot Win7 when needed on my Macbook. I don't have any Linux systems currently. The Mac Mini is a good choice because it's on all the time while everything else i own is a laptop.

EQ Titanium installs and runs fine on an Intel Mac with Wine. I didn't find it crashing any more frequently than my old Windows PC when I used to play EQ back in 1999-2003.

I'll try to document how it goes and perhaps make a Mac guide, assuming I can get it all to work. Most of the dependencies are easy with Mac Ports.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:01 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Also, the login server is completely not needed to run a server.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Corysia
Fire Beetle

Mmm, well, it doesn't compile cleanly. There are some C++ language issues. So, this may take a bit to sort out. Since I'm in the middle of moving to a new house, I probably won't finish this up for a bit.

In case a dev is listening:
std::to_string() isn't on Mac, either. But unlike VC++, it doesn't have an alternative version. I fixed it with pushing into std::stringstream first.

Second problem is with perl 5.12.4 and C++11:
/opt/local/lib/perl5/5.12.4/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/pad.h:256:27: error: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and identifier [-Wreserved-user-defined-literal]
"Pad 0x%"UVxf"[0x%"UVxf"] restore_local\n",

I'm not quite sure what to do with that one yet.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:58 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

What compiler and version are you using?
Old 09-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Vexyl
Hill Giant

std::to_string() was introduced to the standard library with C++11.
If your compiler supports the latest standard, find out how to enable it.

For example, for GCC you can pass -std=c++11 to enable it.
I am not entirely familiar with VC++, but I'm sure its equivalent setting is as simple as any other.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:00 PM
Corysia
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst2112 View Post
What compiler and version are you using?
> g++ --version
i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-g++-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 565 (LLVM build 2336.11.00)
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Vexyl
Hill Giant

I think it's time to update your compiler.